stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I believe that they know these things are not what they're hyped up to be, but by providing "good" customer service, they stay in business. I believe they should fix the issues before they advertise these products for sale, and hardly ever have to worry about "customer service". I can't help but feel suckered by a company, that in reality sells a product that was never really tested for quality and longevity.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
hey is it normal for the dry side to have a gear spinning sound?
i can hear it wind up and down .....if the room is fairly quiet i can hear it a few feet away..

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
which vortech?

which vortech do you have?
you mostly hear the sound of the motor if you have it in short pulse mode(blue mode)
on my mp20 i cannot hear the motor in a quiet room
but my mp40 i can heqar it if it is turned up about 50% and on in pulse mode
hey is it normal for the dry side to have a gear spinning sound?
i can hear it wind up and down .....if the room is fairly quiet i can hear it a few feet away..

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I believe that they know these things are not what they're hyped up to be, but by providing "good" customer service, they stay in business. I believe they should fix the issues before they advertise these products for sale, and hardly ever have to worry about "customer service". I can't help but feel suckered by a company, that in reality sells a product that was never really tested for quality and longevity.

These things were Beta tested for over 2 years with improvements and upgrades made along the way. While you may still not be happy with the product, to suggest that they were thrown out there without significant testing is just not accurate. FWIW, I was an early Beta Tester and all of the issues we saw back then were addressed before the product was released to the public. As subsequent issues arose, they were addressed in the 2nd generation version and wet-side upgrades (all very well handled IMO).

I currently run 6 MP40's that are either 2nd generation or upgraded versions and have not experienced any problems with them at all. The MP 10 I just received looks to be an even further improved version of the pump.

If you are happy with maxi-jets and Korallias just stick with them, because the only other high-end powerheads are Tunze's and every single one I have ever had has ended up in the trash bin after an impeller exploding or seizing rendering the pump useless and not capable of repair. At least with the Vortech's if they stop working the repairs are quick and easy.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i dont know but it seems pretty lined up to me...i moved the dry side in all different places but still has the sound...

but yea i was using the short pulse at around 50%
..i can undertstad if its normal...but just wanna make sure so i can fix the problem before it destroys the pump..

oh i have a mp10

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
These things were Beta tested for over 2 years with improvements and upgrades made along the way. While you may still not be happy with the product, to suggest that they were thrown out there without significant testing is just not accurate. FWIW, I was an early Beta Tester and all of the issues we saw back then were addressed before the product was released to the public. As subsequent issues arose, they were addressed in the 2nd generation version and wet-side upgrades (all very well handled IMO).

I currently run 6 MP40's that are either 2nd generation or upgraded versions and have not experienced any problems with them at all. The MP 10 I just received looks to be an even further improved version of the pump.

If you are happy with maxi-jets and Korallias just stick with them, because the only other high-end powerheads are Tunze's and every single one I have ever had has ended up in the trash bin after an impeller exploding or seizing rendering the pump useless and not capable of repair. At least with the Vortech's if they stop working the repairs are quick and easy.
I appreciate your input PRATTREEF. Thank you. At first, I figured it was dumb luck that I would have two units break in 6 months, but after doing some reading on the internet, I found out that it is pretty common for these things to break. Many people have had good luck with them, but many others have not. Nothing is indestructible, but there are too many issues overall with these units.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Here's another customer with issues. I wish you the best. People should contact this company about either fixing their issues before putting these products out for sale, or simply concentrating on their other endeavors instead. I've done my research, and discovered that these power heads are no longer a primary product in their line-up. They are now making their money on other non-aquarium related products. Something to think about before buying any Vortech products. It is inexcusable to make such an expensive product with so many issues. When I called and complained about my second broken unit in six months, the person on the phone said, in not so exact words, "Oh yeah, it's the shaft/impeller, they tend to go", or something to that effect. They know they have issues, but still put them out without fixing them. SHAME!!!

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If you are happy with maxi-jets and Korallias just stick with them

This. But I doubt you'll get the coral growth you would with the MP-40. And to suggest that a company should stop producing a unit until they fix a problem is a stretch. As long as people are willing to buy and don't mind paying the $$ and dealing with the occasional broken part, the company should continue to sell and upgrade/fix along the way. If Microsoft and Apple had to fix every bug in their computers before selling them, we would never be able to buy computers (or else be stuck with something so dumbed down that it would be basically useless).

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This. But I doubt you'll get the coral growth you would with the MP-40. And to suggest that a company should stop producing a unit until they fix a problem is a stretch. As long as people are willing to buy and don't mind paying the $$ and dealing with the occasional broken part, the company should continue to sell and upgrade/fix along the way. If Microsoft and Apple had to fix every bug in their computers before selling them, we would never be able to buy computers (or else be stuck with something so dumbed down that it would be basically useless).
DHaut. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I. I appreciate your input. I guess people are content with buying something with known issues at high prices, and dealing with them. I'm done with this thread. At the very least, I hope that this thread made a few people think twice before spending their money.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
only problem i have had was the nut was loosening on the propeller, aligning them correctly does make a difference, in all honesty for what 2 mp 20's cost me i should have went with 2 tunze 6055's and a controller. and still might end up that route, i like the ability to aim them better, ive had my 6025's for 2 yrs and other then the c clip no other problems, and tunze replaced them for me and sent a extra set, best $70 i spent in the hobby

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
my wet side fell off twice. you have to turn the wetside to adjust so that it doesn't vibrate
I got home last night to find the "wet" side of my MP40W at the bottom of my tank. The impeller seems to have snapped. This is the second unit that has broken in 6 months. The first time it just wouldn't run after 1 week of owning it. Eco-Tech Marine replaced it, but it took 5 days, with a shipping screw-up on their part. Last night I attempted to go on their website, and it was down. It's starting to seem to me that these products are more hype than anything else. $429.95 should buy me a product that does not break twice in 6 months! I'd like to hear your thoughts, and any other bad experiences like mine out there.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
now how many of you read reviews and did your homework before you bought them ? if every company made a perfect product, they would go out of business, or waited till they had something perfect they would go bankrupt. i'm in the car business and always tell people dont buy first yr products because your the test dumbie for it. i would have never paid full price for the mp 20 or 40, got one used and another brand new for $250 not that the extra money would have broke me, but even in perfect working condition im not overly impressed with them

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I have 2 mp40s and love em. the wetside died on one of mine, but it was really not a hassle to get fixed. i took a pic on my phone, emailed it to them on a friday, and on monday i had a brand new wetside in the mail. hard to argue with that.

and they are the by far the best pumps i have ever run...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: