stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I got home last night to find the "wet" side of my MP40W at the bottom of my tank. The impeller seems to have snapped. This is the second unit that has broken in 6 months. The first time it just wouldn't run after 1 week of owning it. Eco-Tech Marine replaced it, but it took 5 days, with a shipping screw-up on their part. Last night I attempted to go on their website, and it was down. It's starting to seem to me that these products are more hype than anything else. $429.95 should buy me a product that does not break twice in 6 months! I'd like to hear your thoughts, and any other bad experiences like mine out there.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I can assure you that these units are not just hype. I have had my units for well over a year and have had some issues with the wet side as well. I have 4 mp40's and have had to send 3 wetsides back on different occasions. The customer service was excellent and I got back my wetside in under a week everytime. The inconvienence does stink, however I would not sell them to use anyone elses product. Just my 2 cents.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I can assure you that these units are not just hype. I have had my units for well over a year and have had some issues with the wet side as well. I have 4 mp40's and have had to send 3 wetsides back on different occasions. The customer service was excellent and I got back my wetside in under a week everytime. The inconvienence does stink, however I would not sell them to use anyone elses product. Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate your input. They are great when they work, but they are more money than any other power heads out there. I don't hear of problems from other companies like Tunze. I just think that something touted a the best should be more reliable.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You really have to get the knack of setting them up. It took me about 2 days of concentration/frustration to get them right. But once you get the hang of them they are reliable.
It's not a question of set-up. The first one I got was defective from the get-go. The second has been running problem free for 6 months, and crapped out last night. The impeller snapped.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Stoneriff: Sorry to hear about that. It is frustrating. I've always owned Tunzes and never had a problem and am about to take a plunge on a vortech so I'm hoping reliability wise it's the same but time will tell.

Tunzes have problems as well.....Just go and take a look at their thread on RC.....Impellars coming off on a 6055, clicking noises on a 6105....

They are both great pumps....

If you take a look at setting up a comparable tunze with a single controller it is close to a vortech mp40w (Say a 6105 is $325 + a single controller is about $60 and $10 for a night sensor) I could be off here but is close to a vortech

You could always just sell the vortech after it's fixed or wait and see if it is not an issue down the line. Worst case sell it and get a tunze

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been running an MP40w for almost 4 months. It stopped working last week due to a part defect on the wet side. I called Steve at Ecotechmarine and had the replacement part in 2 days. I thought the customer service was excellent and I love the product.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've been running an MP40w for almost 4 months. It stopped working last week due to a part defect on the wet side. I called Steve at Ecotechmarine and had the replacement part in 2 days. I thought the customer service was excellent and I love the product.
It's great that they took care of you, but my point is reliability on such a highly rated product. I've heard of many people having problems. I have a Koralia 3 that's been running non-stop for 18 months.

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I appreciate your input. They are great when they work, but they are more money than any other power heads out there. I don't hear of problems from other companies like Tunze. I just think that something touted a the best should be more reliable.

I actually sold my tunzes and controller which had there share of problems as well....:splitspin.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i own 3 mp40's and yes for the price we pay for these pumps they should be more reliable. i find that most of these pumps have issues within the first few months of use but customer service is great and once they get that first hic-up out, they run great and reliably.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I have 2 40s and no major issues with the wet sides. I did have some problems initially with the controller but they replaced it for free.

One small issue I had with the wet side was that the original ones had a piece of metal covered with a sealant that eventually failed. When they sent me the replacement the magnet piece was inverted, meaning I could not get it to attach to the dry end (polarity). Unfortunately it was made incorrectly and the screw fitting keeps me from replacing it. I've never gotten it replaced.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: