E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Since 2006 or so, when I started in this crazy hobby, I can't count how many times I've had to aquascape. Whether it's due to an upgrade/downgrade/move/just want to change how things look.. it's always the same. I get that thought "Hmmm.. I think it's time to re arrange the rocks in the tank!" (Or because I have to due to relocation/etc.. ) and in the beginning I'm enthusiastic and optimistic.

First:
Not only do the rocks not 'fit' close to how you want, but you have to take into consideration:

-Structural stability
-Flow
-Coral placement
-Enough height for higher light loving inhabitants
-Making sure your rock will fit in the tank with enough space to wipe up the glass
-And finally; the general look of the rocks.

In the beginning I have a great idea of how it should look considering the rock I have. Then, I take everything out and try my hands at the new scape.. after 20 minutes or so of arranging/getting things the way I like.. I have to take the rocks apart and try to epoxy (more on that later) or use plastic/acrylic rods (more on THAT later) to secure the rock. Funny thing is; it never gets back exactly the way you want it!

As for epoxy.. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (it must be something) because epoxy is ridiculous. Today I even let the rock sit in the same spot for over an hour (actually.. almost 2.. ) without touching it.. and of course, being careful IT CAME APART with the slightest movement. "You can drill it 1/2 hour after application.." Right, and I'm an astronaut cowboy millionaire. :lol:

The plastic rods are okay I guess.. If you don't mind having to drill through rock. Some is very simple, but most takes a long time and is quite tough and messy to get through. I've been drilling all day.. haha. And I feel you still have to use some sort of puddy to make the rocks stay in the same spot.

Even if the above is conquered, there's still the matter of getting the rock structure into your tank without moving it at all, and actually liking it.. Not to mention the cloud that appears.

OK. So, who wants to come and aquascape for me? :lol:

/rant.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
You think you have it tough, my tank is three feet deep so I have to stand on a ladder to place rocks in the tank and I cant touch the bottom without putting my head under.
I know what you mean though, I always start out really enthusiastic and then when I'm half -way though I think "why the hell am I doing this?"

tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What kind of epoxy do you guys use?
I am getting ready to aquascape and I am not looking forward to it.
I have a 65 G which is high so I have to biuld up:(

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I wish I could say the same thing. I like the idea/planning part, but it's the execution that I don't like.

And I feel like acrylic rods are just as problematic as the plastic rods are/were. Still have to drill the holes (with correct angles)

It's honestly making me want to get a bigger tank so I can buy larger rocks and have a bit more freedom with placement.

aquascaping is actually my fav part of setting a tank up. i make a visual of what i want wth rock i have, and it has always worked for me

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I will do anyone's aquascape when ever they want! It's the best part recreating and image from your mind and watching it develop! I love it - i have been doing it for 20 years, although mostly fresh water, Discus, African Chilids etc. but i love looking at what we create.

Tank one two cave nano- tank two Mixed reef in the making- wanted 6 cave think I got em'

Attachments

• DSC_0335_966.jpg
    DSC_0335_966.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0406_976.jpg
    DSC_0406_976.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 191

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I also get fustrated when i want to get a nice design but end up having not the right sizes plus all the little rocks that you might want to add :irked:

Currently I am going to build my design out of the water. cement it( if i can) then place it gives me the option to cut out my designs

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
^I agree. It was super frustrating. I ended up having to put the rocks in a 'jumbled pile' in my tank so that I could put my corals back in and get the system up and running again.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
IME use bigger rocks with an open aquascape. You can't make it look bad if the rocks are nice shapes. Remember OPEN AQUASCAPE!!!

tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Well here is my 65G.
Basically it's a pile of rocks right now.
I am a little afraid to go higher because it's a glass tank and I don't want the rocks to break the glass.
I have a few nice flat rocks that I think would look nice if I could figure out how to set it up.

Attachments

• tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well here is my 65G.
Basically it's a pile of rocks right now.
I am a little afraid to go higher because it's a glass tank and I don't want the rocks to break the glass.
I have a few nice flat rocks that I think would look nice if I could figure out how to set it up.

You can put egg-crate on the bottom, or even just a piece of acrylic. I like sand, though, so that solves my problem. :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I start the same as most here, very enthusiastically. Did well in my earlier years, but now forget about it..:tongue1:

I have to replace my stand, and the thought of taking my rock work apart is scaring the mess out of me. Especially since now there are quite a few corals glued and encrusted on the rocks.:Yikes: And I happen to love the way it looks now, which I know I will NEVER be able to recreate.
So on that note: OneTimer, I'll be contacting you when I do get that new stand.:splitspin
I will do anyone's aquascape when ever they want! It's the best part recreating and image from your mind and watching it develop! I love it - i have been doing it for 20 years, although mostly fresh water, Discus, African Chilids etc. but i love looking at what we create.

Tank one two cave nano- tank two Mixed reef in the making- wanted 6 cave think I got em'

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: