aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hey MR, just want to say thank you for all the support and wealth of information provided to me via MR members. I have literally saved hundreds of dollars. So as the title says I am thinking of doing away with my Fluval 405 and just running a sump. I have a couple of questions though.

I know for my sump I need the following;

Over Flow Kit wit tubing to drain into sump
20 gallon tank for my 72 bow front, ( about the max I can fit under)
3 Baffles for protein skimmer, live rock and chaeto
Pump for return line back into tank

Okay so after doing some research, I am starting to understand what a sump is and its primary functions, but I still have a couple of questions.

If I do away with my fluval 405, how do I run the gfo and chemi pure that I am currently running in the fluval into the sump?

Will my water be even more pristine?

Whats does the filter sock do and how do you run it in the sump, a separte baffle?

What am I missing, anything? (I think I have the basics covered.)

Is it true the more powerful the pump, the more flow I will get out of the return line draining back into tank? I think a mag 5 or 7 should be good correct?

I guess since I am doing away with the fluval 405, I will need to get a kick as skimmer? And recommendations for one under about 150 bucks?

P.S. Thank you so much in advacne.

Last edited:

aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Take a look at the Remora Urchin pro skimmer.The chemipure can be put in a separate baffle and the gfo can be used with a reactor.The sock simply removes small and large detritus Alex.

Thanks for clearing some of that up Nelson I really appreciate it! You da man......lol

So just let the chemi pure sit in a baffle by itself? Thats it, nothing else I have to do?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You should run the chemi pure in a reactor as well.;) If you choose not to run it in a reactor put it in a high flow area of the sump. I use to put the bags of chemi right up against my return pump.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You're correct. The more powerful the pump the more water flow into the overflow box and to your sump. I'm running the mag7 for my return and put a valve in the line so I can control the flow. I'm running only 3/4 flow of the mag7 for my 90G, more than that would be too much, IMO.

Use thread adapter for the plumbing where you can, so you can easily remove the overflow box or pump for replacement/service, etc.

Make sure you know the footprint of the skimmer you want before designing/buying the sump.

Yen

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
In those corner bow front stand your space is very limited. I believe a 20 is the max you can fit in your stand. A 20G, does not matter wher you buy it or what brand. Then go to a glass shop and get 3 baffle cut about $3-$5 each and glue them with aquarium silicone. You should let it sit 24-48 hours before install in your stand. I would rinse it with RO water, before using it.

aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
In those corner bow front stand your space is very limited. I believe a 20 is the max you can fit in your stand. A 20G, does not matter wher you buy it or what brand. Then go to a glass shop and get 3 baffle cut about $3-$5 each and glue them with aquarium silicone. You should let it sit 24-48 hours before install in your stand. I would rinse it with RO water, before using it.

Thanks, good stuff, I appreciate it.... I will let it sit for a day or two.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
When you cut your baffles, don't cut it too high, you water level in the sump is subjected to the baffle heights. You need to leave room for the water in the tank to drain back down to the sump in the event of power failure. I would say at least about 3 to 5 gallons.

If you use PVC for the return, at the outlet (don't need to use pvc glue), drill a small hole just below the water surface of the tank, probably 1/4" below the surface. This will work as anti-siphon and stop the water to drain down the sump.

Yen

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
If this is a standard 72 bowfront stand you are pretty limited to what tank you can use for a sump. a 20 gal. is a good choice,,,you can also fit a 20long. It is tricky to get in the stand but it can be done. This is probably the only way tou will be able to have a fuge. You could also use 2 10gal. and bulkhead them together.
Mag 7 is the right pump, or a mag 9 if you want a little more flow,, but you dont need it.
As far as a skimmer goes. "Measure twice a cut once" I would decide on a skimmer before you even start to build the sump. Octopus extreme 160 is a great skimmer for a great price, and it has a really small footprint and as NYreefnoob said the urchin is a good choice to-----DO NOT buy an aqua ev series!!!! As I did,,,,BAD CHOICE.
Here is a thread for my previous 72 bow to give you some ideas,,, good & bad LOL
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/47028-my-new-72-bowfront.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: