Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi, guys! I've just installed Gen-X 40 pump and it's making alot of noice, all walls are vibrating in the house. Do you know what's the most quiet pump in the same range I could buy?

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Did you try putting a piece of rug under the pump? Try this before you go out and spend money on a new pump. How old is the pump itself????

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Did you try putting a piece of rug under the pump? Try this before you go out and spend money on a new pump. How old is the pump itself????

I don't know how old it is, bought it used. It's not the noise that bothers me, but mostly the vibration. You probably right, I'm goint to isolate the sump stand beams from the walls (it stands on the rag in the garage, but attached to the walls) and see what happens. Also I could put vinyl hose between the sump bulkhead and the pump intake and between sump output and the return pvc pipe. What do you think?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
How bad is the vibration? And did you clean the used, i'm guessing encrusted impeller?

Take apart the cover for the impeller and clean everything thats in contact with water. The whole impeller chamber itself should pop right out of the motor. Be careful with the ceramic impeller shaft and all the plastic bushings and stuff so you don't break, reassemble it wrong or lose anything. Even the rubber piece inside the chamber itself that supports the bushing on the impeller shaft. Dunno if its in there as its been a while since i took one apart.

I used to have the panworld 40 pump and its built pretty much the same way as the gen-x version. When i got the brand new one it was vibrating, the company i got it from said to open it up and clean it out of any dust from assembly. And said if i ever let it dry up to do the same. Was some dust/oils on the impeller and once it was cleaned stopped vibrating to a slight hum. Only thing i felt was the water moving through the piping.

Also, stay away from vinyl tubing for pumps with this much GPH rating. You can set it up to test to see the vibration but i wouldn't rely on it. Spend the extra money and use flex PVC with the cement thats flex PVC compatible.

If its still vibrating like crazy i have my old panworld mp40 pump that works like a charm and modded with a PC fan to keep it cooler.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Then either you have it mounted wrong or too much pressure on the piping, i have the same pump, pc 40 isnt pressure rated either and at 14' you might be maxing it out do you have the feet mounted or just sitting on something ? And do you have the rubber feet on it ? Also check inside as stated, mine had a broken volute piece that caused a aweful vibration

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, I've checked the pump inside and cleaned it (nothing was wrong). The pump is attached to 2x4 standing on a carpeted concrete floor. I ve tried to remove the 2x4, nothing changed. The vibration is transfered through pvc pipe to the main tank, which is built in to the wall (check my gallery), so the walls and floors are vibrating, which is driving my GF crazy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: