BHDMC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It will kill the good and bad free floating micro organisms. I installed one two years ago on my SPS reef tank. I am now considering removing it.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
On an industrial level, the use of UV on purified water systems is being phased out.

Microbial counts after the UV sterilizer are lower but further downstream microbial count goes right back up to pre "UV" levels. It appears the "bugs" regenerate just as quickly as the UV can destroy them. The company I'm at now who is one of the big boys in "Big Pharma" has determined UV sterilization is a waste of money and is globally phasing them out.

I won't be buying one for my aquarium any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
On an industrial level, the use of UV on purified water systems is being phased out.

Microbial counts after the UV sterilizer are lower but further downstream microbial count goes right back up to pre "UV" levels. It appears the "bugs" regenerate just as quickly as the UV can destroy them. The company I'm at now who is one of the big boys in "Big Pharma" has determined UV sterilization is a waste of money and is globally phasing them out.

I won't be buying one for my aquarium any time soon.

A small closed system isn't industrial, but that's pretty interesting.

I do believe they can benefit a tank in some instances, but don't consider them required equipment.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You are correct. Our tanks are dirtier and loaded with bacteria and hobby uv sterilizers less efficient.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
getting a qualty UV is first. having the right flow is as important, higher flow for bacteria and low flow for parasite, aqua uv is the only compny out there that can actually answer questions about their product and make proper reccomendations and size, type and flow

Nassau

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting a qualty UV is first. having the right flow is as important, higher flow for bacteria and low flow for parasite, aqua uv is the only compny out there that can actually answer questions about their product and make proper reccomendations and size, type and flow

I agree.

It's a great preventive measure for around $100 how can you miss.
I think Emporer Aquatics has a usefull site.

Another factor that most people miss is the less clear the water the longer it takes to really kickin when you start.

which is why it should always be on

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one because Ive always been told they battle nuisance algae, and I have seen a great decrease in since I've installed it about two weeks ago.

I dont have any complaints about it so far, but then again I'm obviously a newb. :bablefish

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Emperor Aquatics is the only company I have ever worked with that has all the answers. They were given to me by a friend in the business that builds public aquarium sized tanks and they have never steered me wrong. If you call them give them the system size and what you are looking to do they will give you the U.V. necessary along with a flow rate down to the the single gph you will need to achieve the proper zap dosage. The problem with most commercially available U.V.s in the hobby is that they are too small to really kill anything. You need them to destroy regeneration enzymes in the cells and most can't do that with a single pass through, allowing the parasites and whatever else came in contact to heal and keep going. Flow rate and wattage are the 2 most important aspects when considering a U.V. Emperor is on the pricey side but isn't anything in this hobby that you do the right way?

Wes, a small closed system isn't the same as a large open system that is only going to come in contact with the U.V. once.

just for fun
UVs.jpg

this U.V. is part of a poured concrete sump for a 20,000 gallon fish only.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: