bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is that larger fish?
I assume this is already cycled? (fingers crossed)

Very pretty tank :)
What kind of lighting is on it?
thank you! but i just started the tank and there is not much in it. the larger fish i got from a friend to start my tank, dont know what it is. but he told me that its a very high end fish. i have a few damsels as well in there.

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is that larger fish?
I assume this is already cycled? (fingers crossed)

Very pretty tank :)
What kind of lighting is on it?
Regarding the lighting, i have very poor lighting now. im currently using the light that came with the tank, its a t8 bulb 15w. but i plan on getting the metal halide if you could help me with that i would appreciate it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Specifically when was the tank started..a date?

You sincerely need to ask your firends what kind of fish it is. It is onluy a 20g tank, so you will have no idea if it will be too large for the tank, or if it will eat any other fish or whatever you put in there...

..a 'few' damsels? as in 3? Do you know what size they get to be when they are adults? Did you cycle this tank using the damsels? :(

Regarding the lighting, i have very poor lighting now. im currently using the light that came with the tank, its a t8 bulb 15w. but i plan on getting the metal halide if you could help me with that i would appreciate it. Today 04:23 PMRegarding the lighting, i have very poor lighting now. im currently using the light that came with the tank, its a t8 bulb 15w. but i plan on getting the metal halide if you could help me with that i would appreciate it. Today 04:23 PMRegarding the lighting, i have very poor lighting now. im currently using the light that came with the tank, its a t8 bulb 15w. but i plan on getting the metal halide if you could help me with that i would appreciate it.

Have you researched MH lighting? What do you think you want to put on the tank? What type of corals do you plan to keep?

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Specifically when was the tank started..a date?

You sincerely need to ask your firends what kind of fish it is. It is onluy a 20g tank, so you will have no idea if it will be too large for the tank, or if it will eat any other fish or whatever you put in there...

..a 'few' damsels? as in 3? Do you know what size they get to be when they are adults? Did you cycle this tank using the damsels? :(

Have you researched MH lighting? What do you think you want to put on the tank? What type of corals do you plan to keep?
the tank is up for 3 weeks now.And he only gave me the fish to start out, he's taking it back from me.
regarding the cycling, i put in some cycled water. anyway whats wrong with cycling the tank with the damsels? teach me!!!

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
the tank is up for 3 weeks now.And he only gave me the fish to start out, he's taking it back from me.
regarding the cycling, i put in some cycled water. anyway whats wrong with cycling the tank with the damsels? teach me!!!

The expectation is that when someone wants to start a SW tank, that they will do at least some research on setting one up prior to actually doing it. If you wanted to take up skydiving, would you ask questions AFTER you jumped out of the plane? Dangerous you say eh?

You need to learn about the 'nitrogen cycle' - commonly called 'cycling a tank'..I'm sure you will get something like a million hits of you Google it.
(oops, I checked... 2 1/2 million...)
Some research on your own would be a good idea :) We are forever suggesting that new reefers read as MUCH as they can!

...why you shouldn't be using fish to cycle a tank...because the ammonia generated by the cycle burns their gills, for days & days...causing damage and often killing the fish.
There are so many ways that are humane to cycle a tank without harming fish in the process.

Water from someone else's tank contains so little bacteria, there isn't any point in using it. The bacteria that is important is on the surfaces or everything in the tank. The water column supports only a tiny percentage of the bacteria.

What are your water parameters at this point? Specifically your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels?

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The expectation is that when someone wants to start a SW tank, that they will do at least some research on setting one up prior to actually doing it. If you wanted to take up skydiving, would you ask questions AFTER you jumped out of the plane? Dangerous you say eh?

You need to learn about the 'nitrogen cycle' - commonly called 'cycling a tank'..I'm sure you will get something like a million hits of you Google it.
Some research on your own would be a good idea :) We are forever suggesting that new reefers read as MUCH as they can!

...why you shouldn't be using fish to cycle a tank...because the ammonia generated by the cycle burns their gills, for days & days...causing damage and often killing the fish.
There are so many ways that are humane to cycle a tank without harming fish in the process.

Water from someone else's tank contains so little bacteria, there isn't any point in using it. The bacteria that is important is on the surfaces or everything in the tank. The water column supports only a tiny percentage of the bacteria.

What are your water parameters at this point? Specifically your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels?
didnt test the water yet, but i was planing on teasting it at the end of this week. so should i take out the fish?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
didnt test the water yet, but i was planing on teasting it at the end of this week. so should i take out the fish?

Can't you just test it now? Most people test daily when cycling a tank.
I have no idea if you should take the fish out at this point, the ammonia/nitrate might already be gone.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Berelah after reading the threads here are my 2 cents. I have used those Ehiems for years. They make different returns for those filters and there is one made to do exactly what you need as in breaking the surface. It is a longer piece that goes just out of the water and has several holes in it. You point them down towards the water and they break up the surface. A powerhead is still recommended for water movement. A HOB(hong on back skimmer) will put oxygen in the water. Do not use the ceramic rings or noodles, which ever one it came with. Do rinse the pads in used tank water like AWDI said. If the tank is not heavily populated will also dictate how often you need to rinse the pads in the Ehiem. Get the quick connect hoses for it also. Saves a lot of water and a lot of time. And you can use carbon in between the pads.

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Berelah after reading the threads here are my 2 cents. I have used those Ehiems for years. They make different returns for those filters and there is one made to do exactly what you need as in breaking the surface. It is a longer piece that goes just out of the water and has several holes in it. You point them down towards the water and they break up the surface. A powerhead is still recommended for water movement. A HOB(hong on back skimmer) will put oxygen in the water. Do not use the ceramic rings or noodles, which ever one it came with. Do rinse the pads in used tank water like AWDI said. If the tank is not heavily populated will also dictate how often you need to rinse the pads in the Ehiem. Get the quick connect hoses for it also. Saves a lot of water and a lot of time. And you can use carbon in between the pads.
thank you!
did you use a eheim in your saltwater reef tank?
what kind of pads should i get?(only came with 2.)
and how often should i clean the pads?

bruce922

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone is saying you will hear a ton of different opinions on this topic. ButI think they work great but you have to clean them as often as you can. Then when you cleaned it you need to clean it again. If you dont keep it cleaned it will be a place where only bad things will hang and out call it home.

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Like everyone is saying you will hear a ton of different opinions on this topic. ButI think they work great but you have to clean them as often as you can. Then when you cleaned it you need to clean it again. If you dont keep it cleaned it will be a place where only bad things will hang and out call it home.
do you have a eheim?

Last edited:

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have brown stuff on the glass. any explanation?

Attachments

• brown.jpg
    brown.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 35

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0

:smile:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yes I used Ehiems before, but not on heavily populated coral tanks. I also ran 2 at a time on a 75 gallon tank when I ran them. The normal floss pads that Ehiem makes for that filter are fine. I cleaned mine once a month, but I ran 2 filters and did not have a heavy livestock nor did I do heavy feedings. I also ran the 2217's

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: