bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all
I recently set up my 30 gal reef tank and i'm currently running it on a Eheim 2215 canister filter which i was guided by a friend to do.But as i got myself more into the reef hobby i was told by a few other guys to get rid of it.Thing is that i don't really have the space for a normal size sump, so i was hoping that you guys could give me your advice on this.Can i run my reef tank with this filter? If not what are my other good filtration options?

WAITING FOR YOUR COMMENTS!

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Your gonna hear a million opinions so with that said..I love sumps and believe no good setup should be without one, but I have run a 12pgal reef tank with a fluval fx5 for 9mo w/o any issues or failures..what finally did my tank in was a cracked heater...shoulda spent the extra couple bucks on the titanium...doh! Hope this helps and like I said I know there's gonna be a ton of opinions and you make your call and let us know how u make out..post progress

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You can run your tank with this filter but, you will have to be constantly change the media, if not you will have HIGH NITRATES. If you can stay on top of that, you should be fine

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Your gonna hear a million opinions so with that said..I love sumps and believe no good setup should be without one, but I have run a 12pgal reef tank with a fluval fx5 for 9mo w/o any issues or failures..what finally did my tank in was a cracked heater...shoulda spent the extra couple bucks on the titanium...doh! Hope this helps and like I said I know there's gonna be a ton of opinions and you make your call and let us know how u make out..post progress
A sump is not a filter.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
but since i have this filter, i have to run the oxygen air pump. should i be worried about the micro bubbles eating up the corals?
Can you use the output from the filter to move the water instead?You will have an unsightly salt build up /salt creap from the bubbles that's all.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
tried that but i still had the micro bubbles floating around in my tank, its like little dots. (you know what that is right?)
Yes i do.Do you really need it though?Use a Koralia to move the water. I don't know anyone that use an air pump in a saltwater tank because of salt water creaping all over the place.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: