Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You can use the canister filter if you are willing, and able to do weekly maintenance on it.
Save the water from your tank while doing water changes, and use it to rinse the sponge, and the canister with it.
Ditch bioballs or ceramic rings.
Get a small power head installed in the tank near the surface to break up the surface water - this will help in removing nasty gas build up.
Do get a good hang on back skimmer to help with the filtration. DO NOT get a Seaclone, they are garbage.;)
Yes, you can keep corals depending on what lighting you have will determine what type of corals you'll be able to keep.;)

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You can use the canister filter if you are willing, and able to do weekly maintenance on it.
Save the water from your tank while doing water changes, and use it to rinse the sponge, and the canister with it.
Ditch bioballs or ceramic rings.
Get a small power head installed in the tank near the surface to break up the surface water - this will help in removing nasty gas build up.
Do get a good hang on back skimmer to help with the filtration. DO NOT get a Seaclone, they are garbage.;)
Yes, you can keep corals depending on what lighting you have will determine what type of corals you'll be able to keep.;)

Hi there
thanx for your advice, those are great options you gave me, you seem to know alot. But what if i really wanna get rid of my Eheim filter, what is my next option, b4 a sump?

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have a 29-gal reef tank in my kitchen - no sump, so here's my 2 cents --

Remora makes hang on back protein skimmers (HOB) that will do the job for a small tank.

I also run a simple cheap HOB filter that I put a bag of activated charcoal into to "scrub" the water so it's crystal clear. I change or clean it weekly.

good luck!

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 29-gal reef tank in my kitchen - no sump, so here's my 2 cents --

Remora makes hang on back protein skimmers (HOB) that will do the job for a small tank.

I also run a simple cheap HOB filter that I put a bag of activated charcoal into to "scrub" the water so it's crystal clear. I change or clean it weekly.

good luck!
cool that sounds great!
do you have any pics?

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
what you neglected to add to your info was the following:
whether or not you can afford another option, as we all know few members put an age on there profile. you could be young and your budget might be small. You could have a small apartment.whether you're able to put the work into the tank. there are also a few others.
the canister you mention can be used very effectively if you are willing to do the work. for starters you can use it as a media reactor. with a bit of Carbon and GFO you can make this a very effective media reactor. in addition to some filter floss, to keep the media free of large particles. the ceramic media can be used as live rock is used in our sumps, just make sure its porous. setting this up in the proper order will give you an effective filter. In addition to this a 10% water change will go a long way. There are many tanks that don't have sumps and do extremely well. some reefers just do water changes and nothing else,and yet their tanks look great. You might think this is a lot of work but its also a learning experience for that upgrade that will surely come after you've been bit by the bug. do a bit of research and you'll see what works best for you. Good luck.

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what you neglected to add to your info was the following:
whether or not you can afford another option, as we all know few members put an age on there profile. you could be young and your budget might be small. You could have a small apartment.whether you're able to put the work into the tank. there are also a few others.
the canister you mention can be used very effectively if you are willing to do the work. for starters you can use it as a media reactor. with a bit of Carbon and GFO you can make this a very effective media reactor. in addition to some filter floss, to keep the media free of large particles. the ceramic media can be used as live rock is used in our sumps, just make sure its porous. setting this up in the proper order will give you an effective filter. In addition to this a 10% water change will go a long way. There are many tanks that don't have sumps and do extremely well. some reefers just do water changes and nothing else,and yet their tanks look great. You might think this is a lot of work but its also a learning experience for that upgrade that will surely come after you've been bit by the bug. do a bit of research and you'll see what works best for you. Good luck.

wow! thanx for sharing this info. how do i find out more about what to put in the canister filter? and in what order?
with all this im still gonna need a protein skimmer right?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, ideally you should still run a protein skimmer. (this also helps areate the tank)
A powerhead to agitate the surface of the tank is necessary to get rid of the carbon dioxide and replaces it with oxygen during this action. It also serves to provide flow to the tank.

Do you have a pic of this tank? That would be very helpful to us.

What lighting is on the tank?

The canister filter you have would be considered a 'mechanical' filter. Most reefers do not use these on their reef tanks. Instead their live rock is the 'filter' and the skimmer gets rid of the remaining waste from the system.

Some do use a canister filter in place of reactor(s) -as mentioned. For a system like yours where there is no sump, this is a good option. Many have pointed out that this needs to be cleaned weekly - that is very important :)

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, ideally you should still run a protein skimmer. (this also helps areate the tank)
A powerhead to agitate the surface of the tank is necessary to get rid of the carbon dioxide and replaces it with oxygen during this action. It also serves to provide flow to the tank.

Do you have a pic of this tank? That would be very helpful to us.

What lighting is on the tank?

The canister filter you have would be considered a 'mechanical' filter. Most reefers do not use these on their reef tanks. Instead their live rock is the 'filter' and the skimmer gets rid of the remaining waste from the system.

Some do use a canister filter in place of reactor(s) -as mentioned. For a system like yours where there is no sump, this is a good option. Many have pointed out that this needs to be cleaned weekly - that is very important :)
I could send you a pic but its not clear at all cuz its from my phone. where should i send it to?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Try and take another one that might be more clear? :) It need not be a close up, but if it's too fuzzy it won't help much...

You can post it here..if you know how?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Here is the pic of his tank
MRpicMarch.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: