Identify your electrical back up plan.

• Total voters

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i survived the blackout by simply sticking a pitcher in the tank (to fill up with water) and pouring it back in. this had the effect of circulating the water and oxygenating it a bit. The fish and corals were obviously lazier than normal that day. Thank god, everything survived just fine.
In NYC, i dont forsee long-term blackouts occuring very often. I also dont see myself going out and buying a generator and gas and spending so much money as a back-up for my fish tank (my wife would likely throw the generator into the tank if i did :joke: ).

if anything, i might buy a good UPS and plug my return pump and my stream into it. that should be a quick and easy solution.

Anyone know of a good UPS for this purpose? (that i can just leave my pumps plugged into and switch over to battery automatically) and is it ok to keep this in the tank stand? or would it get ruined from the humidity/moisture?

Last edited:

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
BestBuy.com offers the CyberPower 550VA 8-Outlet UPS, model no. 550AE, for $39.99. That's $22 less than the best price we could find elsewhere. This UPS features complete surge protection, four outlets with battery backup, and both USB and serial connectivity. Shipping adds $11.25, or order it online for in-store pick-up. Sales tax is added where applicable. Deal ends February 11.

CyberPower 550VA Battery Back-Up System

:smokin: :icon16: :approve:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Running time is only 15 to 60mins don thtink that going to do much in a blackout

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Running time is only 15 to 60mins don thtink that going to do much in a blackout
is there a stronger one that would last longer?
if not, at least an hour would be better than nothing. at least it would buy us time to get home and think of something.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I thought of nothing last night and this morning, but this thread as I was without power for nearly 8 hours. :supermad: :letitallo

I'm buying, at least, a UPS now.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm currently running with an inverter. It runs my main pump which is tee'd into a skimmer and a DIY heat transfer. I have to be home to make it work though. A friend of mine owns a Honda dealership. I can get a Honda generator at 10% above his cost. Not bad since mark up is usually around 4 times. I'll probably get one big enough to run at least my main pump, chiller and both refridgerators (I own a 2 family house, gotta take care of the tennants too). We lose a lot of money when our reefs go down. I hate adding a grocery bill on top of it. If I were to get the honda generator, is there a way to set it up like the guardian? Where it comes on when power goes out? I'll have to look into that. I love Honda generators though. One pull every time. Efficient and best of all, pretty quiet for a generator.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
chris288 said:
I'm currently running with an inverter. It runs my main pump which is tee'd into a skimmer and a DIY heat transfer. I have to be home to make it work though. A friend of mine owns a Honda dealership. I can get a Honda generator at 10% above his cost. Not bad since mark up is usually around 4 times. I'll probably get one big enough to run at least my main pump, chiller and both refridgerators (I own a 2 family house, gotta take care of the tennants too). We lose a lot of money when our reefs go down. I hate adding a grocery bill on top of it. If I were to get the honda generator, is there a way to set it up like the guardian? Where it comes on when power goes out? I'll have to look into that. I love Honda generators though. One pull every time. Efficient and best of all, pretty quiet for a generator.
Can i run a long extention cord form your house to mine :smash:

Deanos ,sry to hear about the power loss ,Hope everything is ok in your tank

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
chris288 said:
If I were to get the honda generator, is there a way to set it up like the guardian? Where it comes on when power goes out? I'll have to look into that. I love Honda generators though. One pull every time. Efficient and best of all, pretty quiet for a generator.

In a short and sweet answer, no. Unfortunately you can't run a generator to a transfer switch (the piece of equipment used to monitor a power outage), if the generator is a pull start. How would the generator start if auxilliary power was called for?

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: