Identify your electrical back up plan.

• Total voters

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
Reefer420 said:
I would like like to buy an APC back up like this...

http://www.upsforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=49

I think I would only have it power my skimmer, heater (heater is housed in my skimmer- so if the heater is on then the skimmer needs to be), and one pump to reduce the drain as much as possible. It should last at least a few hours, if not a full day with that kind of load...

need to add it to my list of things to buy- which is getting much too long again!

looks like you only get a few minutes with this?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I'm a little shocked at the results of this poll. If there is another blackout many of you guys are in trouble. I've spent TOO MUCH money to lose my reef due to an event I can at least try to prepare for.

Even this little $9 pump will save your $100 maybe $1000 of livestock. I have four of these and all the batteries (D) sitting around waiting for that emergency.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...en=PROD&Product_Code=WON-AIR50&Category_Code=

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
solbby said:
I'm a little shocked at the results of this poll. If there is another blackout many of you guys are in trouble. I've spent TOO MUCH money to lose my reef due to an event I can at least try to prepare for.

I'm not that shocked. While I've spent alot of money on my tank, it pales when compared to the amount invested in my car, for instance. And just like a car where many people opt for high deductibles and minimum insurance coverages, I expected people to take a minimalistic approach to saving their tank in a blackout.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I wonder if the FAQ or something like a getting started/Preparing for emergencies thread should outline things like this. I've had my filter on a UPS for years and it saved my ass during the big blackout and during many little power outages as well since then. LOL and it was a sale item at office max. Check out www.marketpro.com and see when the next show is comming to a town near you. You can get some great deals on computer stuff and UPS backups there.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
solbby said:

Even this little $9 pump will save your $100 maybe $1000 of livestock. I have four of these and all the batteries (D) sitting around waiting for that emergency.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...en=PROD&Product_Code=WON-AIR50&Category_Code=

Thes pumps saved my reef in the blackout

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
What saved me in the b lackout was my corless drill and a wooden spoon taped to a 1" drilll bit (and no sleep)

Now I have a generator and need to get a UPS for my TUNZE

Shaun, I was a little surprised as well - even though people spend more on other things, it's like cleaning, simonizing and waxing your car (nice investment) an driving around looking for a huge mud puddle to drive it through. Too much care, and progress to lose sight of the protections for my liking.

House

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
House of Laughter said:
it's like cleaning, simonizing and waxing your car (nice investment) an driving around looking for a huge mud puddle to drive it through. Too much care, and progress to lose sight of the protections for my liking.

House

Nah, you got it wrong...cleaning and waxing keep the car looking its best in the event of a sale (higher resale value). Alot of people view a backup plan like car insurance..."I hope I never have to use it."

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I plan to have a minimum of a 2200va UPS and a generator. The UPS will be first until I can plan the generator installation and have it wired to the main electrical panel in the house.

The UPS is going to be connected to circulation pumps only. I need to determine what would be best.... the Seios or something else of equivilent flow and thepower rating of each. I would like the UPS to last at least 8 - 10 hours minimum.

Rich

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am probably going to pick up the Honda EU2000i before the summer gets into full swing. Problem is storing gasoline longterm in an apartment!!! I would need to store at least 5 gallons of gas. I think that they do not recommend storing gas in the unit. Anyone have any ideas on storing gas safely?

Based on the rating I think I could get away with powering my return pump and chiller with the EU2000i. (It handles upto 16.5Amps I think)

The second problem is being around to turn the generator on. I work in lower Manhattan and live in Washington Heights- during the last blackout I had one heck of a walk.

-Alfred

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
hey solbby, I have a couple of those battery air pumps too. Used to use them when we went on collecting trips to keep the fish happy in the buckets.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The least expensive and safest way for apartment dwellers not to store gasoline is using a power inverter and a deep charge marine 12v battery. I have a 700w Inverter that can run my powerheads, heater (if it's winter), and my return pump. That should be plenty to keep things going.

BTW, I do want to get a generator. Problem is, I'm on a well. If I do get a generator I would make sure it can handle that as well as my boiler. Might as well go the whole nine yards if I'm going to do it. Then an automatic transfer switch to start it while I'm away!

Russ

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
first you whould need a inverter to change 12 volt dc to 120 volt ac,i have one of these but have to get inverter and hook up load to it and see how long it will run,a small ups system whould run longer ,depends on the size of load you connect to it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: