Identify your electrical back up plan.

• Total voters

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
yes you will need a AUTOMATIC GENERATOR TRANSFER SWITCH
to control power to start gen when normal power fails and to switch normal power to emergency power circuits

Last edited:

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
ats

ats

Attachments

• ats.jpg
    ats.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 154

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
What the automatic transfer switch does is detect the flow of juice from the public utility grid. When there is a power outage, the transfer switch will cut off the flow from the public grid and wait 30 seconds. After detecting no power for 30 seconds the electric start generator will kick on to those circuits wired for generator juice.

When the power comes back on, the transfer switch once again detects this. In order to avoid the inevitable explosion (if both the public and generator feed the same line) the transfer switch kills the generator, waits 30 seconds and then turns on the public utility to juice up the entire service panel.

May be a bit convoluted, but this is in essence how it works.

Russ

efisher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my house I put in a generac generator with an automatic transfer switch. It runs the tank,chiller,lights,etc plus the ,livingroom,bathrooms and bedrooms. Before my 210 when I have my 65 gallon I had an emergency battery Airstone and 2 ups one for the heater in the winter months, and one for the return pump.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
My power went out around 5pm today and my UPS failed. In a panic my first though was to run to lowes and get a Honda generator. On my way I got a call that the power was back on so I stopped at staples and picked up a larger UPS
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500I
Thanks to Dave (SPYKES) Ronen(DEEPWATER) Chris (LOISMUSTDIE) and Mike (SLAMAJAMA) for offering assistance.

Cool thing about this UPS is that I can see how many watts my equipment is drawing. My ATI bubble master uses 22wats each pump! :D

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ming I also bought the 1500VA it says it will run a 6100 Tunze stream for 256 mins. Seem kind of short. What does yours say?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Herman where are you man??? I need your feedback on that UPS that I bought. I was an impulse buy. I am going to test this thing and if it only runs my stream for 4 hrs I'll probably return it.

efisher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good idea to bump this thread. While power outages happen more during the summer they can occur anytime. I put in a generac generator when i bought my house last year thinking I would hopefully never have to use it but that day came during that winter storm @630 am. Someone took out the power poll a few blocks away. It was great I didnt even have to get out of bed. The generator did just what s was supposed to. I was never so happy to have installed the generator. The power was out for about 2 hours, it was great having the generator running the house.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: