• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was wondering if this would be possible because I think it would be a cool implementation for a fish tank.

Imagine walking into a bathroom and above the sink, in place of a regular mirror is a 12-18" deep fish tank with a mirror behind it. Do you think with the proper lighting it would still be possible to use the mirror like you would a regular bathroom mirror? Or would the glass and tank lighting cause problems?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
good luck with all the live rock in the way, and once coraline grows with some other surface algae, you can't tell if your skin is turning dirty or its the tank :lol2: It'll also seem like you're looking at yourself from far away, and can't look at yourself like if you got something in your eye

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would think the water would distort the mirror image so much that any lady may not be able to put her 'face' on ;)

You want to shave when you can't see your face clearly?

Better off sticking to that toilet that is a fish tank..lol
toilet%20fish%20tank.jpg

How is Walter doing? :cat:

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok I forgot to mention, this would not be a reef tank. Freshwater, maybe a planted tank or cichlids. Since I am starting a winery in Brooklyn, I want to incorporate a fish tank somehow. I was thinking it would be cool to have one above the sink in the restroom that acts as a mirror.

Obviously it would not be a mirror for ladies to apply makeup, we would provide a separate mirror for that. I'm just looking for a novel idea for incorporating fish.

As for all the different sprays and such people use in bathrooms, this would not apply, it's all just washing hands. We'll use organic cleaners to clean the bathrooms.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Might be better to just incorporate it into the wall, completely sealed off from the bathroom air. Access to the tank is from the adjacent room. The mirror can be an added touch just for aesthetics, not for vanity

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
As for all the different sprays and such people use in bathrooms, this would not apply, it's all just washing hands. We'll use organic cleaners to clean the bathrooms.

Want to bet? Do you have any idea how many women carry hair spray or purfume in their purse? It is going to happen. :(

A winery eh? :)

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well, the tank will be accessible from the other side of the wall, so we can seal it from the bathroom.

I'm more concerned at to whether someone would be able to see themselves.

I'm sure we could figure something out, even if the mirror doesn't sit on the back of the tank. I still think it would be a cool aesthetic.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How custom are you planning on going? There isn't much that can't be done, but you're best bet might be to get a professional down there to check the actual site and figure out options with you. It's sometimes hard to picture what's going on without physically seeing the location. You might even be able to come up with other ideas you didn't think of before.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Ok I forgot to mention, this would not be a reef tank. Freshwater, maybe a planted tank or cichlids. Since I am starting a winery in Brooklyn, I want to incorporate a fish tank somehow. I was thinking it would be cool to have one above the sink in the restroom that acts as a mirror.

Obviously it would not be a mirror for ladies to apply makeup, we would provide a separate mirror for that. I'm just looking for a novel idea for incorporating fish.

Well ya never know a smart fish could be able to tell them they missed a spot when they apply foundation. LOL

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Since I am starting a winery in Brooklyn, I want to incorporate a fish tank somehow. I was thinking it would be cool to have one above the sink in the restroom that acts as a mirror.

First of all... COOL! Where and when is it open?

Secondly... you may want the tank somewhere in the open... where you can see the @$$ trying to write on it in sharpie. It happens...

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
what about glass tables with fish tanks under them?
i used to go to a night club that had a fishtank under the dance floor, that was pretty cool. Or an entrance way with an unpside down u tank that you walk through to get in to the bathroom? little pricier than a mirror but it would be cool.

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just tested this out at home and it totally works. Not something that is useful for applying makeup but we'll have a separate mirror for that.

The sinks are actually going to be communal, so everyone will see it. The mens and women's rooms are separate with their own toilets. However people come out into a communal area to wash their hands.

It would be nice to put it in a more main part of the winery, but honestly I want it to be subtle. Also people talk about restaurant/bar bathrooms alot, so I like this application.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: