Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I wanted to start a thread about NYC restaurants and clubs that have aquariums. When I lived in DC there was a fantastic underground lounge that had a few pieces of live rock, yellow polyps, and scarlet hermits. Needless to say, the reef was very simplistic, yet everyone would sit and stare at it all night.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any nice aquariums around town (or the NYC Metro area) where the "public" can see a nice tank.

The only tank that I know of is at a seafood restaurant named Shaffer City in midtown. It has a few large tangs, a trigger and a few blowfish/boxfish, yet no coral.

Please post if you know of any other reefs worth checking out.

-Josh

frostbite

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any one ever seem the tank in Paragon sports? its fish only but its nice and large, not sure how many gal, but it was about 5'x3'. sadly the fish didn't look like they were in that great of shape.

C

Crakeur

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paragon's tank is pretty lame. Barney's used to have one but I haven't been in there in a long time.

Not sure if they still have it but Quicksilver on Spring Street used to have a large cylinder in the center of the store.

As for restaurants, I would imagine half of the Chinese restaurants in the world have an arrowana tank.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had diner at The Flor De Mayo on Broadway 100 or 102 west side of Ave. They had a couple of tanks (salt). Spanish/Chinese menu.(off Zaggat's raidar Im sure)Only for the hungry don't go expecting an ambient setting. Nice built in tanks though.

chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this place is still there, but the Rainforest Cafe in the Palisades Center mall in West Nyack New York has some amazing stuff, At least they did, been A while since I have been there.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have reefs in the rain forests? they should get a amazon setup. Well, I guess the average joe who thinks coral are a bunch of rocks would enjoy it more. bunch or commies.

indireef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any non-pet businesses in Qns, Bklyn, Nas, SI, Bx where you've spotted a reef-type tank? or a shark tank :eek: jus wondering...

if i'm ever rich enough in dis life i would like to open up an underground cave-type or atlantis-type of club/disco/loungue and have aquarium/s sunken into the backdrop. i might skip mermaid or merman dancers though. :smokin:

its so boring none of the millions of the businesses in nyc have gotten creative in the aquascape dept.

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
chrisl1 said:
I don't know if this place is still there, but the Rainforest Cafe in the Palisades Center mall in West Nyack New York has some amazing stuff, At least they did, been A while since I have been there.

These guys packed up their bags in 2002, supposedly violating a 6 year lease as well. I think it's a Cheesecake Factory now. The food sucked, but it was overshadowed by the 7000 gal archway aquarium. :D

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm currently working on a restaurant that will be opening soon.
It's a Chinese restaurant called Chinatown. It's the old Time cafe on Laf. was

Anyway It's going to be a huge Koi pond 35' x 14'

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Sean said:
I'm currently working on a restaurant that will be opening soon.
It's a Chinese restaurant called Chinatown. It's the old Time cafe on Laf. was

Anyway It's going to be a huge Koi pond 35' x 14'

thanks for the info Sean,

I used to eat there once a week, where in the space are they putting the pond.

just what NY needs another theme restaurant, and the name?
if they opened in nebraska that might be cool. the real chinatown is just five minutes away :tired:

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's going to be a huge upscale rest.
It's not only the old Time cafe it's also the old Fez club.
they totally demolished it and are rebuilding it. It should be open by the end of March.

The pond will be downstairs I wish I could explain what they are doing better but when you walk in and go downstairs you'll be walking over the pond. Very cool

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The Blue Zoo bar in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn on 3rd avenue & 83st has a SW tank @ least it did a about 2 years ago when I was in there. I drove past the other night and it seams to still be there.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
My previoucs club still have a big pond at the entrance

My previous club-Club Axis used to have a shark pond but the shark died two days after I joined the company. The big partner seems not knowing how do marine fish thing. He also own a very big "dragon eel" in the office-hell I duno the actual name but it's a colorful huge one of no less than 5' and an arm's thick. I think it must have died too since I left the company.

Now they have fresh water fish there-looks like the new guy don't know what to do with salt water stuff either so he goes for koi (no may be golden fish) I did not spend time on the fish-I spent time on the bunnies.

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Does anybody know there's a reef tank in Saks Fifth Avenue with mucho clownfish and mucho anemone? I saw it today and it's just amazing. I was wondering who take care of its maintenance.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
NYPDFrogman said:
torches on the huson in Newburg has an awesometank at least 20' long 4'high 4' deep fish were health and active, food was good too

That tank is 6000 gallons. Most of the time it looks great. There are times that the 100's of fish look sorry.

It is right on the Hudson. Anyone with a boat can get there without the need for a car when you arrive. Your boat will never be out of sight.

The food is real good too. Nice recommendation Frank.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: