jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
kimoyo said:
Rich,

The 702 has two eheim 1260 pumps and 10" cylinder. Eheim and aquabees are not in the same class.

yeah thats what I'm saying. Once I see more Das running in person, I'll have an idea what deltec they're equal to if at all on the same level???

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
the size of the das ex-3 is similar to the deltec ap851. but the deltec only has 1 eheim 1260. heres a side by side photo of the two:

apf850.jpg
EX-3_Large.jpg

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Bubble King 300 EXT

Here are few pics of the bubble king 300 EXT in my system:
DSCN1880.JPG

DSCN1869.JPG

Pro: Super quiet, low power consumption (recirculating pump is rated at 68W but running @89W in my house with 115V on a kill-a-watt), easy to adjust and set up.

Con: Super expensive, metric piping which I can't find adaptors for, SUPER EXPENSIVE, not as efficient in skimming as my Barr beckett skimmer, Super expensive for a damn skimmer, did I mention it is too expensive for what it does?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Barr Skimmer's performance

I love my Barr skimmer!! I think it is hard to beat what it can pull out of my system, even with a skimmer that is nearly 4X more in price.

This is what it pulls from my system after two days:
DSCN1868.JPG

It is a little over a gallon of pretty dark and stinky skimmet, I used one of those sweetwater plankton jar for size and color reference.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Jhale, check my gallery for a internal picture of the BK, I will try to take a few more next weekend when I take it down for a good cleaning.
While you are there, can you delete the pictures that did not upload correctly?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jhale said:
I'll take a look.
So when is the BK going up for sale?

I don't think anytime soon. Its a nice toy but I will let it go if I find a nicer toy to replace it with :). The Barr is too small for my system, even with it working hard the BK still pulls a gallon of lighter skimmet ever 4-5 days. I need the second skimmer with my heavy feeding regiment.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
oh, so both are running, that's a nice combo then.

did your corals recover? I remember you said you thought you might have overskimmed the tank, is that possible?

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Pierce that BK definitely isn't tuned right. Mshurs smaller BK makes a much thicker foam than in your pic.
Or the barr is just doing such a good job that thats all the BK can get.

Regardless of tuning that BK should be doing better and I'm not sure it isn't correctly tuned. I've seen a lot of BK's with skimmate that looks like that and a lot barr becketts with even darker skimmate that that. How much better can it possible do? The bubbles are mad tiny on it now, maybe the foam isn't as good because of the barr beckett?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Paul check page 1 of the thread with Hermans Das skimmer and compare it to Pierces BK. That thick foam is what I see in Mshurs BK.

Either way I can think of better things to do with 2G

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Paul check page 1 of the thread with Hermans Das skimmer and compare it to Pierces BK. That thick foam is what I see in Mshurs BK.

Either way I can think of better things to do with 2G
The foam from that Das looks like cappuccino froth. I wonder what would happened if Pierces turned off the Barr :scratch:.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
kimoyo said:
The foam from that Das looks like cappuccino froth. I wonder what would happened if Pierces turned off the Barr :scratch:.

Pierce only utilises one side of the BK. Its not ballanced at the moment. He needs the metric fittings to make the thing run properly. But if that thing is tuned right it just kicks a$$ from here to hell and back before kicking it to the moon.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
hermangareis said:
Pierce only utilises one side of the BK. Its not ballanced at the moment. He needs the metric fittings to make the thing run properly. But if that thing is tuned right it just kicks a$$ from here to hell and back before kicking it to the moon.

I talked to Madison from CaptiveOcean (BK importer) about this and he don't think the second drain tube will make a difference. I am running about 2~300 gallon thru the skimmer and the single 1.5inch drain pipe have no problem draining the skimmer. Some of the new models now only have one drain because most people don't use it.

Rich, I can get the bubbles to be finer at the rim of the skimmer riser tube, I have tried that and the skimmet was very watery(light colored). The larger bubble is from the little bubble combining, therefore giving the water more dwell time before being pushed up and over the rim.

The nitrate problem is from the excess feeding I do in my fish only tank, I can't starve my fish:lol:. One of the things I am considering is to take my 150g reef off the main system and set up with its own sump, skimmer and other related support equipment. The only drawback is running 2 chillers in the summer:(.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: