Rating - 100%
30   0   0
do A LOT of research before you make any purchases. there a lot of things most people don't know about keeping jellyfish aquariums. i see you're new here, does that mean this is your first tank? jellyfish have very specific requirements, they can't have corners in their tank, they need special filtration, etc etc. i can't stress enough that you should read up on them before you make any moves. hope this helps :)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Heres a great youtube vid where he sets up a jellyquarium for a cop. Just will give you some good info- multiple parts. Watch and you'll learn quite a bit from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjeLimnhSrk

He also has a video or 2 of him receiving jellies for a customer and tells you how to handle them properly as well as how to introduce them into the setup the correct way.

oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I forgot I posted this sorry y'all! No this isn't my first fish tank and not my first marine tank. I have had my marine tank for around 2 years with a variety of live stock. And I have read a lot of stuff on jellyfish, and I recently went to my zoo and talked with the guy who only does the jelly tanks, I am also going to the Georgia aquarium to swim with the whale sharks/ take a behind the scenes tour so hopefully I can ask questions there! :D I just wanted yalls feedback on the little critters.

Hey Jarrett, I was gonna get one from jellyfishart.com last year. They probably still sell them as they seemed heavily invested in their propagation setup.

That 40 gallon tank is pretty pricey. Could you just use one of these http://www.aquasupercenter.com/prod...on-Aquarium-76"~15761.html?CAWELAID=327042821 and it would look even cooler since it's so much taller. You could just put an eductor or something to create a gentle flow upwards and there you have it, at least that's what I would do with it. I've considered doing this so many times because I want a jellyfish tank but my parents would not want another fish tank in the house.

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I read somewhere that they get stuck in corners or flat edges. I think every single jellyfish tank I saw (buddha bar, some club in vegas, and the coney island aquarium was either a sphere or a cylinder. Only one way to find out if a hex or octo works. :)

Art

That 40 gallon tank is pretty pricey. Could you just use one of these http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products/Midwest-Tropical-Aqua-Towers-Designer-50-Gallon-Aquarium-76%22~15761.html?CAWELAID=327042821 and it would look even cooler since it's so much taller. You could just put an eductor or something to create a gentle flow upwards and there you have it, at least that's what I would do with it. I've considered doing this so many times because I want a jellyfish tank but my parents would not want another fish tank in the house.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I read somewhere that they get stuck in corners or flat edges. I think every single jellyfish tank I saw (buddha bar, some club in vegas, and the coney island aquarium was either a sphere or a cylinder. Only one way to find out if a hex or octo works. :)

Art

That's why you put them in an aquarium made specifically for Jellyfish. It's basically a completely round cylinder with no corners, the better ones even rotate to keep motion in the tank. The hex tanks tanks can be used but newer models are completely round.

Here you guys go found the link:
http://www.jelliquarium.com/

Prices are insane though super expensive I wouldn't buy but I'm just showing some tanks.

How do you plan to implement this? Where is the intake? Is it for movement only or also a filter?

Drill bottom if possible and put the eductor there and just have it drain out the top or even better if you could just make the water spill straight out of the tank and have a slightly larger container to catch around the bottom of the tank.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Why would you need an eductor? If it fills from the bottom and drains from the top with such a small diameter there would always be gentle upwards flow and an eductor would just create an opportunity for the jellies to get stuck to it.

After looking at the jellyart tanks I have to say they look very basic for a system with that price tag on it. There are better jelly setups out there if you are set on getting one. I feel like you could replicate the jellyart tanks at petco and save yourself some zeroes.

I just threw eductor in there cuz i just like the way they work but I see your point i mean i guess i could even make multiple return around the bottom if it wouldn't be possible to drill the actual bottom and it would probably stil work well. The jellyfish tanks dont look like anything special like for the propagation jelly tanks it looks like a regular tank with some acrylic along the bottom so the bottom is rounded. I don't see why that would need to cost so much extra money, I'm sure like lfsmarineguy said, you can do something very similar to it on your own. I still like my idea though, minus the eductor :D

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Whenever someone brings a new idea to market you always get a bunch of "me too" companies, of varying quality, looking to cash in on the trend. You just have to look at them all objectively and figure out who is doing the real work and who is just hoping you aren't paying attention.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: