ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i saw at a LFS a starfish called a "basket" starfish i believe? (Astrophyton muricatum) i asked about it, and all they said was "they are cool, we never had one before, and very good for reef tanks" i asked why they are "good" for reef tanks, but gave me no answer, they said thats what the guy they got it from said. just curious about them because it was very "unreal" looking. probably gets too big for my tank, but wanted to know if anyone has information on them or ever owned one...

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I've only seen a real one in a store once. Most of them are actually crinoids and not basket stars.

They are extremely difficult to keep and should only be attempted by advanced aquarists. You really need a ton of food in the water column all the time for them to survive. An azoo tank like Mike L's would be good as he has an automated feeder for all of his gorgs and dendros.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I've only seen a real one in a store once. Most of them are actually crinoids and not basket stars.

They are extremely difficult to keep and should only be attempted by advanced aquarists. You really need a ton of food in the water column all the time for them to survive. An azoo tank like Mike L's would be good as he has an automated feeder for all of his gorgs and dendros.

Really? That's pretty cool. I thought it looked something in that nature. I know the tank your speaking about. Was really fascinating to watch. Would never personally attempt it, just seemed so cool...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Actual basket stars don't swim. You're probably thinking of crinoids/ feather stars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7X6q-dfslQ

Basket star: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83-FHWS-DUI

I got them in a few times way back before I knew any better. The same goes for feather stars for the most part. I don't think they are impossible but I would say they aren't for the majority of reefers. They are incredibly demanding and need a lot of special care.

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Actual basket stars don't swim. You're probably thinking of crinoids/ feather stars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7X6q-dfslQ

Basket star: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83-FHWS-DUI

I got them in a few times way back before I knew any better. The same goes for feather stars for the most part. I don't think they are impossible but I would say they aren't for the majority of reefers. They are incredibly demanding and need a lot of special care.
You are correct. It was a feather star I was thinking of.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Yeah when I first saw it in the tank, I was like ohh that's a interesting gorgonia... Then I was like whoaa it's slowing moving? Sadly it looked like it may have been starving a little bit already or something. Some of the tips seemed to be frail and about to fall apart...

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw at a LFS a starfish called a "basket" starfish i believe? (Astrophyton muricatum) i asked about it, and all they said was "they are cool, we never had one before, and very good for reef tanks" i asked why they are "good" for reef tanks, but gave me no answer, they said thats what the guy they got it from said. just curious about them because it was very "unreal" looking. probably gets too big for my tank, but wanted to know if anyone has information on them or ever owned one...

this is so typical... i am a big anti LFS kind of guy (for the most part as there are a FEW good ones, and only a FEW)... they have this creaturem, and know nothing about it... and cant even do a little research themselves for the sake of the animals they take in to sell or the hobbyist buying them... disgusting and typical... basket stars are to be left in the wild imo... you may find one or two or even 3 peeps that have one currently and have for some time, but other than that, you wont find anything positive about them in captive care... dont get it, it will only die in your care, and you will be the one responsible for them replacing their stock and having another beautiful creature from the ocean die...

basket stars are not good for captive life... jmho and educated opinion

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: