Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Too many informercials in the front page from Reefs.com?

I am not sure the purposes of the headlines from Reefs.com.
The truth is, I still cannot grasp the goal of Reefs.com. I can find the right place of MR where I want to hang out and find a place in my heart to put MR in. But as for Reefs.com, it's too abstract and remote for me.

If the headline is not intended for advertising, I think articles seem too frequently business related and looks to me more informercials than objective opinions or experience stories.

We already have the beloved Reef News thread which address a lot of reefing news including equipment, I personnally feel there is no need for the informercials in the headline UNLESS it is designed for such.

What you think?

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I'm not sure what you are referring to? By my quick counting, there have been a total of 3 product reviews in the entire history of the blog which spans over 50 posts and several months. The rest is almost entirely original content or commented links to articles of interest to at least some portion of the community. PART of the mission of the blog is to bring info about new products to the community.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I'm not sure what you are referring to? By my quick counting, there have been a total of 3 product reviews in the entire history of the blog which spans over 50 posts and several months. The rest is almost entirely original content or commented links to articles of interest to at least some portion of the community. PART of the mission of the blog is to bring info about new products to the community.

I see then, if part of the mission is product related then I can undertsand now. I still like the Reef News thread better though as you can see it's again the great thread of the week in MR and with 4x,xxx views!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If I understand it right, reefs is supposed to take all the great aspects of the MR site and make it available on a much larger scale while also expanding on what's already here. I'd imagine it's still in the initial phase and once everything is ironed out completely we'll see it start to take on more clubs and the content really start to grow. Personally I think it's going to be awesome to be able to compile several reef club/forums under one page and be able to communicate with numerous clubs without going to every page to see what's new.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
If I understand it right, reefs is supposed to take all the great aspects of the MR site and make it available on a much larger scale while also expanding on what's already here. I'd imagine it's still in the initial phase and once everything is ironed out completely we'll see it start to take on more clubs and the content really start to grow. Personally I think it's going to be awesome to be able to compile several reef club/forums under one page and be able to communicate with numerous clubs without going to every page to see what's new.

Bingo!

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

So... like what Reef Central already does?

Seems like reefs.com would just be like RC with less members and less notoriety.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Seems like reefs.com would just be like RC with less members and less notoriety.

I think the goal for reefs is way better than RC and if implemented properly could easily eclipse it. It's lofty but I think it can be done and since MR has a history of being pretty "libertarian" when it comes to moderation it should be a lot easier for everyone. I don't know anyone that regularly posts on RC that doesn't have at least 1 warning or is close to getting banned, myself included (1 away from a ban and i'm still not sure how I violated anything...)

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I enjoy the short articles & stories that've been appearing in the Reefs section, with the exception of the ones written by "The Frag Killer". His (or her) articles are more obnoxious than what being mocked in the articles. I like the new content.

My 2c.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I'm not sure what part of it is an "Infomercial", but you are welcome to minimize the entire top content window. Your settings are maintained across sessions so you'll never see it again.

Thanks for the info. I'll try some settings then.

Great it works!

Wow, in fact, I never know we have the same buttons for other sections for a cleaner layout that we can set to our likings. Great stuff!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: