Here we go again.

Im in the process of building a 80 gallon rimless mixed reef system. This is my second build and first time dealing with a overflow and sump. My first system was a 75 gallon w/ HOB Skimmer. I ran that tank successfully for only 7 months then all my fish (blue hippo, coral beauty, leopard wrasse) suddenly died. I got a little discourage and shut it down.

Fast forward 6 months and this time around im in for good and want something a little more serious.

Build Plans
80 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless Frag Tank (48x24x16) pre drilled
DIY Stand 40"
DIY 40 Gallon Sump (40 Gallon breeder)
BRS Carbon/GFO Reactor
Skimmer??? (taking suggestions, looking to spend around $200)
80 pounds of BRS Reef Saver Rock
Some small grain Bright White Sand???
Kessil 360W Led(s)-maybe only 1 when i first start running the system and pickup another when im ready for coral (also taking suggestions)
MaxSpect Gyre XF150 or XF130 (or maybe a new quite MP40)
Apex or reef keeper Lite???
Herbie or BeanAnimal plumbing system (still deciding/learning/scared to drill a new tank)

This is the Look im going for, I love this tank.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2cjiyKvRdwE]

Im hoping to have this system up and running by early April. Im open to any suggestion.

I picked up a 10 gallon tank at Petswarehouse in Copiague for 10$ ($1 per gallon sale, but only on specific tanks). Ill use this as a quarantine tank and paint the sides and back with black Krylon Fusion spray paint. I also picked up a 40 Gallon breeder from Petco which i will be using as a sump. Tomorrow im placing a order with glasscages.com for some glass baffles.

1/4" Thick Glass Baffles
(1) 17 3/8" x 13"
(2) 17 3/8" x 10"
(1) 17 3/8" x 9" Quoted $88 shipped UPS.

Im going to have 1 bubble trap after the first ate where the skimmer will be, then the refugium, followed by the last baffle and return pump.
Something like the little green sketch at the bottom.

Attachments

• File Mar 03, 12 53 45 AM.jpg
    File Mar 03, 12 53 45 AM.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,635
  • File Mar 03, 12 53 35 AM.jpg
    File Mar 03, 12 53 35 AM.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,659
  • screenshot20111227at808.jpg
    screenshot20111227at808.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,443
I started working on the stand. I made it 48 1/2" x 24 1/2" x 38 1/2". It came out pretty good for it being my first time, i think anyway???? Im going to paint the inside bright white but don't know what im going to do with the outside, especially the doors. Im thinking formica, i like the way it looks especially shiny black or white.

Looks pretty level!!!

Attachments

• File Mar 03, 12 53 14 AM.jpg
    File Mar 03, 12 53 14 AM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,570
  • File Mar 03, 12 53 23 AM.jpg
    File Mar 03, 12 53 23 AM.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,600

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I run 2 MP10wES pumps on my 80g DB tank. They run around 30-80% depending on time of day. Anymore and they kick up a lot of stuff, I would replace them with a MP40 if I thought I needed it, but as I said, I can't run these over 80% or so. As for sand, I used CaribSea Bahama Oolite. It took a day or so to settle, but it was worth the wait. I love the fine grains and once they settle, they haven't kicked up, ever.

offdahooklikeoj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
287   0   0
I have the same tank, I run 2 mp40's on one side and a gyre xf150 on the opposite. Mp40's @ 60% on reefcrest and gyre 90% on pulse. My tank is all sps and barebottom though. On this tank the very least I would run is 2 mp40's.

Do you think I could get away with the one xf150 if I'm not planning on keeping SPS?

Also, I heard that some of the DB tanks scratch easily, have yours? This worries me Because I'm switching my entire living room around so the tank can fit in a spot where it will be viewable from every angel. I'm going to try n keep the glass as clean possible and if the glass is susceptible to scratches that may be difficult.

Last edited:

offdahooklikeoj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
287   0   0
Do you think I could get away with the one xf150 if I'm not planning on keeping SPS?

Also, I heard that some of the DB tanks scratch easily, have yours? This worries me Because I'm switching my entire living room around so the tank can fit in a spot where it will be viewable from every angel. I'm going to try n keep the glass as clean possible and if the glass is susceptible to scratches that may be difficult.

Yes, one xf150 could work fine depending on how you aquascape. When I turn the mp40's off, my sps across the tank still get OK flow. I had my tank up for 7 months now and no scratches. I have another deep blue tank for over 2 years with no scratches, and i clean the glass every few days. I dont have a sand bed in either tank though, so its less likely for me to scratch the tank with the magnafloat.

Will you be making side accessibility on the stand when you skin it, I saw a really nice custom made stand that had that and they had all the electronics, dosers etc mounted to that side.

That's the plan, can you post the link to that thread or picture?
I want everything to be mounted to either the back wall or side panels.
But if I do that I don't think I wil make it removable. That's why im leaning towards mounting everything on the back wall and making the side panels removable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: