• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What does everyone think about one member only sale/swap event and another vendor only sale/swap event.

I think that it would be a good idea. Though I know there are probably many who think differently.

The reasons we attend the swaps are actually for the vendor sales (having all in one place without traveling from store to store or shopping online is great), to see others from the site, the speakers, auction, raffle and a day amoung others that are mentally insane because of this crazy hobby. :tongue1:

Whether or not other member sales happen at swaps or not it wouldn't deter us from attending at all.

I think for the most part members sell year round and trade/buy/sell corals regardless of the swaps. Though the swaps do make a very convenient way to do so, I think maybe with the increase in membership of the site, interest in the functions/swap and amount of corals being bought and sold a seperation may actually be a good thing. The amount of people that congregated in the chairs set up with styros filled to capacity, people trying to find this person or that person, etc. Made it for a lot of foot traffic that was a bit chaotic making an already seeming lack of space, seem smaller.

So rather than ramble on I think setting up a members only type of situation minus vendors would be able to be accomplished at a location more easily and would serve the same purpose for those members wanting an easy outlet to sell their corals (for whatever their reason). Also if it were a smaller type of thing it could very easily happen more often...I also think that the swap as it is with vendors is great and I think it should continue... though I do feel the increase in member sales takes away from that a bit as it is set up now.

onegreenray

Rating - 100%
27   0   0

As far as vendors and member selling to each other. I have been floating all the forums looking for specific zoas for the last two months. Only certain members had the zoas I wanted. But then again only certain vendors had the deep-water zoas and one of a kind zoas I wanted.

In short the long island reef association had similar problems with where they where holding there meetings and charging members a fee for selling. Guys it was a bad idea. Hate to say it but not everyone is honest and is going to pay the fee. We had a vendor who wasn't happy about member sales and trades and all in all a lot of people got annoyed and walked away from the club for many years.

Reason I like MR is there isn't any of that political BS. Nice people, etc.

here let me say it again lol. it is fine the way it is so stop messing with something that works fine already. treat this like your tanks leave it alone if it works already.

cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
I agree.....I think it is fine the way it is. Personally, if it was just the vendors there, I probably wouldn't go. I enjoyed the fact that I could buy/trade frags with other members and also be able to have access to see all of the beautiful corals from the vendors and make some purchases from them also. Separating it into 2 events will make each event 1/2 the fun.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought frags from members and vendors alike so I don't see what the problem is. Next time though I am getting my hands on one of those gold maximas! Anyways I digress if I were to change anything at the swap I would definitely advise the food service be placed in the back room where speakers get ready there were tables and chairs back there and it would have been nice to get to sit and eat instead of stand there.

Also, need more soda! I think we ran out halfway through food service.

Secondly, I would say can we do something about the mic? I couldn't hear any of the announcements unless I was standing right next to the guy or there was a lull in the conversation around me. The space is too noisy for a subpar PA system. It also made the descriptions at the auction very hard to hear.

Beautiful Disaster

Green Eyed Girl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first ever swap, so I don't have much to compare it to but found it to be a very nice day. Being new to this hobby it was a real nice way of learning more about it and meeting some real nice people all in one place. Only knowing of people by their MR names, it was nice to be able to put the faces with the names. It was a great way for me to get more involved in the hubby's hobby, lol

The food I thought was also very good. I actually didn't expect it to be that nice so it was a very pleasant surprise.

A bigger place and more vendors would just make it all the more better, in my opinion.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It would be great if there was a different area for the speakers. It can be distracting to have so many people walking through the space.

Other than that, the swaps are always great.

Whether or not other member sales happen at swaps or not it wouldn't deter us from attending at all.

This is not true for me. I do not drive so picking things up from members outside the city is very difficult for me. I do almost all my trading at the actual swaps. I also do almost all my vendor shopping at the swaps. They are my twice yearly stock up sessions:)

Also, the things that I put in the donate bin are usually things of which I fragged extra while getting ready for my trades. I would be less likely to be bothered if I was just going shopping.

Most importantly, thanks to everyone who planned and executed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

xc800x

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I had a great time,heat, loud, cramped get over it.It is for fun and to buy corals.I bought from vendors,donation table and private people.No problems here.I want good corals at good prices.The private sales keep the vendors honest.That is the truth.If there is no competition the prices are set by greed not honest prices.Afrag is a frag whoever sells it.The food would be better served in the cafe but still met two people while standing and eating... soda was gone go buy one.I keep reminding myself that reefing is only a hobby and should be fun!! The best deals if you asked me were the donated corals.You know they are healthy and clean.Again great time remember reef==== fun:):):):)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I had a great time,heat, loud, cramped get over it.It is for fun and to buy corals.I bought from vendors,donation table and private people.No problems here.I want good corals at good prices.The private sales keep the vendors honest.That is the truth.If there is no competition the prices are set by greed not honest prices.Afrag is a frag whoever sells it.The food would be better served in the cafe but still met two people while standing and eating... soda was gone go buy one.I keep reminding myself that reefing is only a hobby and should be fun!! The best deals if you asked me were the donated corals.You know they are healthy and clean.Again great time remember reef==== fun :iamwithst
+1 as round abut as you can say it, and i really was with ^

Last edited:

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Let me add a few of my observations. I go to a lot of the swap events all over the country as an invited speaker and hence have seen a lot of events.

The format that you have seems to be the way the rest of the hobby is going. Even though I do not personally like the flea market feel at all these events, it seems to be the way the sheep are headed.

I have been coming to the MR events for a long time now.. I can't even remember when I started as a speaker at this event, and have been a speaker twice now. I can definitely see the improvement in how things are run. This last event seemed the smoothest run event I have seen at MR. Granted that there are a few things that can be improved (food placement... at least no one is complaining about lack of food and long lines, auctions, etc. ) these are good suggestions and should help the organizers in the future.

I enjoy coming to the MR events.. have made a lot of new friends and get to hang out with old ones.

I would really like to encourage you all to think outside the box, and show the rest of the hobby that you can lead not follow the trends being set elsewhere. I envy the Bay area reef club since they seem to do things out of the box and be successful. They are the only people I know can actually pull of a real frag swap where no corals are sold !!! They pushed the envelope with DBTC as an approach to share corals without out selling. I am sure the innovative minds of MR can come up with innovative ideas where the hobby does not become one of selling corals to friends and all about money for microscopic frags. !! There is a lot more to this hobby than making money. I feel we are loosing out on the comradarie and friendship that to me has been the one thing I have cherished the most in this hobby.

I would really encourage you to think outside the box, and develop innovative ways to push the boundaries of the hobby and put your own stamp on it, rather than follow the rest of the hobby.

sanjay.

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
They are the only people I know can actually pull of a real frag swap where no corals are sold !!! They pushed the envelope with DBTC as an approach to share corals without out selling. I am sure the innovative minds of MR can come up with innovative ideas where the hobby does not become one of selling corals to friends and all about money for microscopic frags. !! There is a lot more to this hobby than making money. I feel we are loosing out on the comradarie and friendship that to me has been the one thing I have cherished the most in this hobby.

this is something I'm definitely very interested in, no money involved, just a true frag swap. you bring whatever you want to the swap and trade it off with someone.

Last edited:

trishy711

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi, This was my first frag swap i have even been to. I thought it was ok. I was expecting more vendors than there were. The only good thing is that the vendors had some good stuff. I should know because i spent $500 there on all SPS Corals.

I thought the area was kind of small and it was very hot in there. Other than that i enjoyed it a lot and i will definately be attending the next one whenever it is. I also liked the raffle and all of the speech's given.

I have only been in the reef tank hobby for about a year and a half so i don't have that much experience either. I have had saltwater and freshwater tanks for the past 7 years though. Just never a reef tank because of the work and expense.

I just want to thank all of the vendors for all of there hard work setting up all the frag tanks and taking the time to make it to the swap. I pretty much bought something from everyone so thank you for all of your beautiful corals. My tank now looks awsome. :) If you want to see a picture of my tank now here it is. http://static.keebali.com/thereeftank.com/gallery/files/2/3/5/4/2/img_8233_original.jpg

Slamajamajama

Because Thats How I Roll.
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
I remember when hobbyists never sold corals at all--strictly passed them on for the good of the hobby. I also remember when hobbyists would get colonies and actually let them grow and not chop them up until they were truly substantial in size and NEEDED pruning.
i point this at myself first, but we all should be embarrassed how much we have strayed from this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: