Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Since my previous tank thread was done under the influence of chemo, and a bit embarrassing I've decided to do it over.;)

I started trying to keep a reef approximately 8 yrs. ago with a 120 gallon 5' X 1.5' X 2'.2" AGA tank with external overflow, and a custom built silly sump with 3 compartments, and no baffles.LOL I was running this tank with a Turboflotor Multi 1000, no power heads, just the Iwaki WRLT 40 through a SWID, VHO, and best of all TAP WATER.
Sorry this is the only pic I have of it.
My1stSaltWater.jpg

I was barely able to keep leathers, and some anemone. I couldn't even keep shrooms, they would just disappear.
My fowlr always did well.;)

February 15, 2006 we moved to the home we are currently in. I hired some guy from Bob's Tropical in Ridgewood, Queens to move my tanks. They did a horrible job: broke my stands, and killed all my animals except for my cabbage leather.
Then I had to go through chemo, and the tanks just got totally neglected for well over 6 months. Once I was done with chemo, radiation treatments, and recovered some of my energy I began to clean them up slowly. Still using tap water.
In September my BGF past away (also from cancer) leaving me her 155 gallon bow front tank along with her fish, and some anemones. I had a friend bring the tank to my place where it sat on the porch until I could get it together to switch out the tanks.

By October I realized that I had no one that I could depend on to help me with this huge task. I shyly, and embarrased asked for help here on MR. Although I'd been a member since 2003 I really didn't participate much on the board. I just lurked, and read.:) To my amazement Slamajama/Michael responded so sweetly to my post, and next thing I knew Slamajama/Michael & Loismustdie/Chris were at my house removing a window bringing in my bgf's tank & stand in, placing it in place, and taking out the old 120 to the porch.
I remember this day so very vividly!! These two wonderful reefers not only came to my rescue, but absolutely refused any recompense for their time trouble, and hard labor! They were genuinely insulted by my many offers, including to at least allow me to cover their expenses for the trip to my place.
Oh, and how I remember the look of perplexity on their faces realizing how I was attempting to run a reef.LOL But again, being the gentle men (not a typo I know how to spell gentlemen);) that they are they did not let on that they thought I was crazy.LOL
Here's a pic of that one:
Theold155BowFront1_640x480.jpg

Chris asked where were my corals.:) I told him I had none, and the next thing I knew he turned up at my door a couple of days later with his wife, and a bunch of baggies with goodies for my tank. That was a new beginning in my reefing experience.

My reef did ok for a while like that, but my bgf's tank had so many scratches on the bottom 6" of the tank that I couldn't deal with. I wanted to change out the tank so badly, that once again I came to the community for help in switching out the tank for a new RR ready one.;) Again the family came to the rescue.
Remarkably Slama took on my cause on again. He got people involved, and the switch was made February 25, 2007.
This time the build was much better planned out with the MR family full involved in one way, or another.:) Some gave advice, other's sold me much needed equipment at great prices, and a bunch came to put in the physical labor.:HUG:
Thank you Michael, Chris, Jon, Pedro, Kat, JP, and who can forget Wingo!
Mygang.jpg

The new tanks was setup with RO/DI water, ESV fine grain sand, and approximately 200 to 300 lbs. of lr from my old tank, and my gf's tanks.

AGA RR 155 Gallon Bow Front
AGA Black Pine Stand
Custom Built Canopy with 2 - 4" fans (1 blowing across, 1 pulling air out) by Omega
Odessa lighting fixture 3 - 250 watt Helios 20k DE & 4 - 24 watt 50/50 PC
30 Gallon Acrylic sump purchased from Slamajama
Return pumps:
Iwaki 40 WRLT purchased used from Deepwaters Extreme
Eheim 1260 purchased new from Premium Aquatics
2 - 300 watt Ebo Jager heaters
10 gallon ATO controlled by a Reef Fanatic ATO purchased used here.
AquaMedic twin doser purchased used from loismustdie (not currently in use)
2 - Two Little Fishies reactors for carbon & phoz (not currently in use)
Euro Reef RS80 skimmer a gift from Tosiek
4 #4 Koralia purchased new from WWOF
Old Tunze 6060 purchased used from EintheC
AquaController II purchased used from Melt (not installed yet) will do by the end of the week I hope. The Reef Keeper 2 will then be moved over to the fowlr.;)
The dismantling of the old 155 BF!
_DSC7391copy.jpg

_DSC7392copy.jpg

Level on this tank was always off.:(
_DSC7393copy.jpg

_DSC7405copy.jpg

Getting started :)
_DSC7409copy.jpg

_DSC7402copy.jpg

_DSC7400copy.jpg

_DSC7412copy.jpg

_DSC7413copy.jpg

_DSC7399copy.jpg

_DSC7407copy.jpg

_DSC7406copy.jpg

_DSC7416copy.jpg

_DSC7420copy.jpg

_DSC7422copy.jpg

_DSC7425copy.jpg

_DSC7427copy.jpg

This was 5 months after the rebuild.
June12007Tank013.jpg

I will update with more recent pic in the near future. Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
MR folks are the best. Awilda, I got lost with the timeline... so how long has this "revised 155 rr" been up and running?

waiting fore recent pics :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you for the compliments guys! There have been a couple of ups & downs. The animals didn't appreciate the intruduction of the Koralias consequently I lost just about every lps I had. The couple that survived have made a total recovery.:)
The last issue was this past April with a heater that burst killing 90% of my fish.;(

Here's an FTS taken last night. Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

• FTS !.jpg
    FTS !.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,540

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Rick!! My levels had been staying stable until the SPS started growing. Now I am testing, and dosing.:lol: Happy about the growth, ticked off about the testing and dosing.:irked:
I know, I wish I had never gotten rid of my old Southdown sand.:(

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for the kind words guys! Jiggy, once you get it you'll want a larger one.:tongue1:

Looks good, How many fish you have in that tank?

15 I believe!

There 3 tangs - Yellow Eye Kole, Hippo,PBT
Marine Betta (which I've been trying to catch for 3 weeks now)
Lamarck Angel
Lg. Bengaii Cardinal
Midas Blenny
2 clowns - ocellaris, Black saddle back
Wrasse - red head solon fairy, african radiant, yellow coris, possum
Mandarin
Two Spot Hog
I think that's it. So 5 lg., 9 that won't grow that large.

Little Harry (yellow watchman goby) past away yesterday.;(

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks ocholoco!

Here's a couple of close up of a few of my corals. Hope you all enjoy them. Trying not to post really bad pics.:eek:

Attachments

• reef 003.jpg
    reef 003.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 671
  • reef 005.jpg
    reef 005.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 673
  • reef 014.jpg
    reef 014.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 669
  • reef 016.jpg
    reef 016.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 670
  • reef 018.jpg
    reef 018.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 668
  • reef 046.jpg
    reef 046.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 672

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
great stuff awilda. those dendros look like they're very well taken care of. i like those blueberry gorgs :) (i'll gladly take a frag when/if you ever plan to)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you Nelson!
Thanks ricwilli, oh they are the best! Sounds corny, but a really consider quite of few people here my family. It's like having a bunch of sons, daughters, sisters & brothers.

Harry, I don't know what happened I found him at the other end of the tank where he never goes just sitting there, and the next morning he was dead.;( I'm gonna get another cause I miss his little head poking out of the zoa garden.:(

Quang, God willing I will be able to not only keep it alive, but get it to grow. If I am so blessed, I will difinitely get a piece to you. Understand I am not promising!:)
Thanks for the compliments also. Those Dendros were gotten from AE about 1.5 yrs. ago. It was 1 head w/a baby, now it is 2 lg. heads with 2 or 3 baby heads, and little nobs that may be more babies.;) They are mighty eaters.lol They especially love mysis.;)

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Looking Good as Always Awi.
That Elegance coral speaks Volumes about your Husbandry.
You All should see this tank in person. It's Staggering to look at.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: