Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, if this your questions are supposed to be analogous, you have failed as there is no 'only' attached to this sub forum.
This might be the problem here. If I had to guess I’d say these guys were raised in a “I’m colorblind” way (I was too) and the mantra is that everybody gets treated completely equally and that’s fair. Except the world is still not colorblind and doesn’t treat everyone fairly. “Why can’t I start a Catholic subforum?” You never had to hide from the world that you were Catholic and maybe get rejected by your loved ones when you told them you were.

I can only guess you have never had a good friend explain that they wanted to kill themselves rather than tell their parents they were gay. Never had someone explain to you that they’ve felt like a woman their entire life and their greatest fear was not death nor dismemberment but anybody finding out who they actually were as a human being.

The *absolute least* we can do is be welcoming to our friends in the hobby we share who may have gone through those experiences. A little forum on the internet is all that’s being done here and you’re acting like it’s some great travesty and inconvenience to you. This is the very definition of privilege and complete ignorance of what it’s like to walk a mile in another persons shoes.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating 'cleaning' this thread and removing all the divisive discussion because it is supposed to be a welcome thread. Seems better than just locking it because then it feels to me like the trolls won. They will not win here. Please let me know if you have a preference - I am only an Ally so I am a little hesitant to make decisions like this myself (I will though :D).

aclman88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome y’all! While I understand the point that those against the sub forum are trying to make, I think they can’t see the bigger picture that this is a response to what happened at R2R, in which it clearly was a case of discrimination. It’s important to demonstrate solidarity and support. At the end of the day, much like what happens at R2R, this is not a public forum where all parties have an equal say, and if it’s decided this sub forum should exist, either accept it or move on. Contrary opinions have been sufficiently heard at this point. Last thing I want to say is that this was not a “Should we have a LBGTQ+“ Sub, it’s one for welcoming and supporting those who don’t fit gender norms. It’s not about being “woke”, it’s about being empathetic to others.

For the record, I’m happy this sub forum exists for those who want it and I hope it makes their experience here better.

fishproblem

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@duke62 : "To bad my gay reefing friends don’t see it like this."

So you're admitting that you know your gay peers feel like this is a great thing, and you, a straight dude, are trying to tell gay people what's best for them... all while being told by gay people that your words are harmful. What makes you think you know better than actual gay people what we want and what is good for us? Sounds like you've got pretty big issues that you're making for yourself.

@Thales I'm a tough jerk, but this is exhausting to see on alt-right jaggof groups on fb. worse to see here on a sub created for inclusion. but... if the users getting censored are staying on the site, I feel like their posts should stay too.

i'm two days old here, so take that with a grain of salt. i just like to know who i'm interacting with.

35ppt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating 'cleaning' this thread and removing all the divisive discussion because it is supposed to be a welcome thread. Seems better than just locking it because then it feels to me like the trolls won. They will not win here. Please let me know if you have a preference - I am only an Ally so I am a little hesitant to make decisions like this myself (I will though :D).
Could also rename this thread to something like "discussion on this subforums necessity" and create a new welcome thread.

ichthyogeek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also rename this thread to something like "discussion on this subforums necessity" and create a new welcome thread.
I like this idea. If a welcome thread gets started, then can we just delete all the non-relevant posts and tell them to just push it into this thread?

RE: reefers of color subforum....I actually think this could be a good idea. I would prefer it to prioritize indigenous, black, and latinx members though.

A4edwin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did stop. At 9:13. I welcomed Matt and he didn’t even acknowledge. Welcomed the new members also. You came in swinging it around talking about I’ll erase and delete with a smiley face. Talk about power trippin. Hope I don’t get booted now.

Last edited:

Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did stop. At 9:13. I welcomed Matt and he didn’t even acknowledge. Welcomed the new members also. You came in swinging it around talking about I’ll erase and delete with a smiley face. Talk about power trippin. Hope I don’t get booted now.
I didn’t catch that the first time reading the thread. Did you edit your post? Sorry, thanks for the welcome. ??

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. I misread an old post as new. Deleting the offended post. My apologies

Truckertami

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one here is doing that here!!!!! No one did it on the other forum. They don’t want a discussion in a reef forum talking about sexual orientation, religion or politics. That’s the rules.
yet they allow religion and politics. I had to remove a thread because some pricks decided to start trolling me because they were offended by my existence and kept posting their stupid political hashtags and R2R did nothing about it. literally my post was about a wrasse. but because said trolls found me on the fb page then saw my profile it was attack city for me.

You have no clue what I have had to endure because of people using their religion to justify attacking me and assaulting me at Fn gunpoint just for looking "gay", so its just nice to feel welcome somewhere.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yet they allow religion and politics. I had to remove a thread because some pricks decided to start trolling me because they were offended by my existence and kept posting their stupid political hashtags and R2R did nothing about it. literally my post was about a wrasse. but because said trolls found me on the fb page then saw my profile it was attack city for me.

You have no clue what I have had to endure because of people using their religion to justify attacking me and assaulting me at Fn gunpoint just for looking "gay", so its just nice to feel welcome somewhere.
That is awful and I am sorry that happened. Grrrrr. Thanks for sharing - not enough people seem to understand. If you run into that kind of crap over here, make sure to hip me too it so we can crush it out and that will not be hidden.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just to update you on some learning curve stuff.
  • I cleaned up some of the edits to the moderator edited posts.\
  • If anyone has a problem or a suggestion for Reefs.com, please message a moderator.
  • There is a 'warn' system I didn't know about - a warning can just be a warning, or it can slow down access to the site making browsing annoying, or it can stop access to the site completely for x amount of time. The moderators really really really don't like or want to use it. Had I known about it, I would have justifiably used it yesterday. I am not going to do it retroactively, but will use it if the situation deserves it in the future.
  • We are going to leave this thread up, with the moderated posts visible. Usually, we would not do this, we would clean up the thread for better reading and cohesion. We are going to leave this one up as a warning to trolls, and as a promise to users that we are here to help. Most likely, any future issues, if there are any, will be handled by deleting offending posts and the 'warn' system. I hope that is not necessary, and actually think that it will be very rare in the future.
  • I am an ally, and I am here to take the heat when y'all don't want too - you are here to be joyous and discuss our shared love of reef keeping. That said, if there is someone from this particular community that would like to be a moderator of this sub forum, please let me know. I am here to help and protect as needed, I don't think I should lead.

Thanks - Rich Ross

tsouth

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1609534996143.png

ichthyogeek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good start! But I wanted to link these reads here for further education!:

tsouth

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a good start! But I wanted to link these reads here for further education!:

Wow! Thank you for sharing these reads. These were really wonderful and I encourage everyone to give them a look! Ty @ichthyogeek

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: