B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Try cutting a 2 l soda bottle and attaching a length of pvc to it long enough to reach the water surface place it over the coral and pour the food in that way you are not disturbing the coral

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think if you move its just going to stay closed try spot feeding it with a turkey baster same time every day and dude your posting in beginners i don't appreciate being called jv

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I think if you move its just going to stay closed try spot feeding it with a turkey baster same time every day and dude your posting in beginners i don't appreciate being called jv

1) this thread is in the LPS forum, not beginner.
2) sun coral does not branch like the colony in the picture, it spreads flat.
3) dendros dont open during the day unless they are trained to do so.
4) you're is the word you wanted, not "your"
5) I was busting chops, im sorry my joking demeanor was impossible to see over text.
6) thank you for your help.

Last edited:

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
lets start over. I responded to this thread on the beginner forum. Please excuse me if my typing skills are not the best i can never fully express what i want to say on a keyboard my typing skills are bad. I find it difficult to pick up on humor through text. any way good luck with your coral.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
also if you want to pick on spelling errors you should check your thread title i believe its refered to as dendro not dendo

Thats the biggest problem with text, it's impossible to convey tone.
Also, title is spelled properly (It was always Dendro)
I am sorry i was a jerk. Just busting more chops, I meant it all in jest.

Last edited:

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
Rook,

Grab some sort of Rubbermaid tub that will hold the entire colony, Place it underwater and place the colony inside - don't let it expose to air. Remove the tub with colony and water, Feed large amounts of phyto/mysis and allow to sit for 15 minutes, during the 15 minutes you can gently stir. When returning the piece you can allow to hit air or maneuver it where minimal water returns to the tank. Repeat until it opens over the course of a week. If it does not open after 2-3 attempts its probably in very bad shape.

I did this with tubastrea and it took about 2 weeks... Pita but it worked.

cody0709

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
That's a sun coral, check out the resemblance

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1360037815.734623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1360037815.734623.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 267
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1360037834.543198.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1360037834.543198.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 264

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Cody that's not what it is, the only resemblance is what they look like closed. Suncorals or tubastrea are a soft encrusting tissue w/ bright yellow tentacles. Dendros and blanophyllia are hard branching corals with orange tentacles. The difference between dendros and blanos is that blanos are more of a nocturnal coral with much less survival rate in captivity than dendros as they are harder to get to open during the day when most of us feed and they close up very tight. Blanos also have small heads that don't get that big. Dendros can easily get as round as a quarter as many of mine are.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: