Rating - 100%
172   0   0
much better pic
dendros.jpg

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Here's a link for some further clarification (confusion?)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1832601

By the way, where has Mike (Aquabacs) been?

Good link!!! Thank You
Based on info I have read in the two links provided, the coral in first post is def not a blanophylia, as they are solitary polyps and do not form a colony or stalk as my coral does.

I still think it's a dendro (just has not been opening fully)

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
It's been a while, but I remember hearing about 2 distinct dendro species. One is like the dendro that trigger posted (I have a beautiful colony of those). The other is more like yours Rookie. They have smaller polyps and more of a branching structure.

I'm 97% sure it's the latter. It's definitely not a tubastrea, (even though the polyps look kind of like a tubastrea, it's NOT) ... and I'm almost certain it's not a balano.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
It's been a while, but I remember hearing about 2 distinct dendro species. One is like the dendro that trigger posted (I have a beautiful colony of those). The other is more like yours Rookie. They have smaller polyps and more of a branching structure.

I'm 97% sure it's the latter. It's definitely not a tubastrea, (even though the polyps look kind of like a tubastrea, it's NOT) ... and I'm almost certain it's not a balano.

My thoughts exactly

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i wish mine would open up... :/ ive had it for about a few weeks now and nothing :( i see little teeeeeennniiieeee bit comming out and them bammm back in...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Phil, it looks like two different colonies settled on that rock and eventually grew into each other. It happens sometimes, you'll get two different but same species colonies that intertwine. It's the same effect as when people grow different color caps together.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Phil, it looks like two different colonies settled on that rock and eventually grew into each other. It happens sometimes, you'll get two different but same species colonies that intertwine. It's the same effect as when people grow different color caps together.
Very interesting. Thank you for the info!!! I was always afraid it was a health issue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: