rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I picked up a new dendro colony. It is the typical orange and then there are also some deep red polyps in the middle (as seen in last 2 pics).
Take a look....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1359593114.756382.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1359593114.756382.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You would not believe how cheap it was.

Good score, hopefully they open for you. They might prefer night feedings to get them out, but once they do come out, they'll start to come out in day time too.

They have a pretty aggressive sting, I had a plate coral that walked his way into the dendro and suffered some damage from it, so be mindful of what is near the colony.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Rook,

Grab some sort of Rubbermaid tub that will hold the entire colony, Place it underwater and place the colony inside - don't let it expose to air. Remove the tub with colony and water, Feed large amounts of phyto/mysis and allow to sit for 15 minutes, during the 15 minutes you can gently stir. When returning the piece you can allow to hit air or maneuver it where minimal water returns to the tank. Repeat until it opens over the course of a week. If it does not open after 2-3 attempts its probably in very bad shape.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Rook,

Grab some sort of Rubbermaid tub that will hold the entire colony, Place it underwater and place the colony inside - don't let it expose to air. Remove the tub with colony and water, Feed large amounts of phyto/mysis and allow to sit for 15 minutes, during the 15 minutes you can gently stir. When returning the piece you can allow to hit air or maneuver it where minimal water returns to the tank. Repeat until it opens over the course of a week. If it does not open after 2-3 attempts its probably in very bad shape.

I was going to suggest this exact method. I've heard you can keep them in the water like that for 1/2 hour or so. Try not to bump the container or move them at all during this process.

NPS corals often go through the entire supply chain without being fed. Stores really should try to feed these corals more often (or at all).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: