Aquatic Life Direct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Last few days my computer has been running super slow. I checked for malware, spyware, and viruses and they all came back negative... what is the deal??? I also defragged harddrive...Why would it slow down so much out of the blue?

stooops718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
How old is the computer? Mac or PC? Need to know more info about your specs. Also is the Aquatic Life Direct that used to be in Brooklyn? You finally made the move to Flushing? Where you guys at? I wanna come in and check it out.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Last few days my computer has been running super slow. I checked for malware, spyware, and viruses and they all came back negative... what is the deal??? I also defragged harddrive...Why would it slow down so much out of the blue?

This is sort of like saying, "Doctor I'm feeling pain. What is it?"

It could be almost anything that causes slowdown. A hard drive with bad sectors, a corrupt dll file, a program or process that is using too much processor power or memory, an incorrect page file size, too many startup items running......

The easiest thing to check first is the memory and processor usage. Hit alt-ctrl-delete and open up the task manager. Here you can view the processor and memory usage, and see what processes are utilizing the most resources. If you find one eating up resources, it's likely that that's the cause. (If you don't know what you're doing, don't end processes from here, just report back with the processes using the most resources.)

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Before you do anything backup!! Backup all docs, pics, media (itunes), if you have any programs (setup - exe) backup to an external HDD. If your getting lots of error. I would re-partion and format the hard-hard with a new install of your OS.

leeit2me

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Best thing to do on window boxes. Just roll it back in time. That's if you set it up when you first brought your pc. Malware are pain to troubleshoot. You think its clean but will stick ita ugly head out later.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I read through the thread and it is funny how it relates to the hobby!

My computer is slow vs my tank has cyno

the question is asked what are parameters.... Same here but what type of computer, what OS, how old, how much memory (RAM). How much hard drive space left.

I hate malware, it is a pain in the but. But I am thinking that you got some sort of fake AV malware, since you get error when CTRL-Alt-Delete..

Hopefully your buddy can fix it for you.

junior ibanez

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When you're powering up the computer, pay close attention there will be an option right before windows begin, that would say for example press F10 for recovery so when you go to recovery where you'll have the option to go all out recovery (where you'll loose all data) or the second option where you'll safe all data. another program that catches malware is call malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ try it is free and you could always buy the full version.
another option if you have the CD's is to run MSdos and format system.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I know the issue was already identified, but before screwing with the software, wouldn't the first thing be to check for dust build up?

If it was just running slow that is a possibility and overheating the system. But most systems will auto-shutdown if it gets too hot.

Also the errors were a key that it is not a heat issue and was something else. Even if it running slow you should be able to open task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
The rootkit blocked many functionality, including CAD to start Task Manager. But didn't not block running TASKMGR.EXE from command prompt. Also redirects from Google and to anti-virus producing companies' website. Also seeing a SVCHOST.EXE with high utilization plus erratic behavior indicated some form of malware/virus. I've dealt with Rookits on many occasions, one that attacks the MBR is a first for me.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
The rootkit blocked many functionality, including CAD to start Task Manager. But didn't not block running TASKMGR.EXE from command prompt. Also redirects from Google and to anti-virus producing companies' website. Also seeing a SVCHOST.EXE with high utilization plus erratic behavior indicated some form of malware/virus. I've dealt with Rookits on many occasions, one that attacks the MBR is a first for me.

That one seemed very similar to the one on my buddy's machine. I was not able to get it off all the way, so was just easier to reinstall.

What did you finally use to get rid of it?

I used TDSSKILLER and have had good results. Have you also tried COMBOFIX? That I found has been very good with some stubborn Malware. You don'd need to install it.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Yes, I ran ComboFix and it confirmed the (dammit should've wrote the rootkit name down) to be there. Then ran GMER (http://www.gmer.net/) to clean the MBR.

To all - Malwarebytes, the paid version running resident is your best friend.

GMER, that is a new one to mee, i will have to take a look at it.

For me, Combofix did not even see the rootkit so may not have been the same. Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Comobfix all found different things, but it would just not clear them. So ran the TDSSKILLER and that found the rootkit and removed it, but then all trojans kept popping up in the legit AV. The system was not re-installed in like 3 years, so was just easier to just restore it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: