beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Damn what a longass thread lol.

I have a question is short ram intake a lot less Effective than cold air? It is useless?

If anyone knows how to build an SRI I will pay you $50.

Sent from my MB870 using Reefs

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
http://www.aptuned.com/blog/cold-air-intake-vs-short-ram-intake-whats-the-difference.html

"What is the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake?
As the name implies, a short ram intake is "short". Due to it's size, the intake pipe doesn't stretch far away from the intake manifold, so the air filter remains somewhere near the engine. A cold air intake has longer piping, and is designed to push the air filter away from the engine into an area that has colder air, hence the name cold air intake. Typically, since the cold air intake draws in cooler air it usually makes more horsepower than a short ram. However, depending on engine design, this isn't always the case, and we'll explain further below. A short ram intake is generally less expensive as well, and easier to install and service since the air filter is typically easy to see when you pop the hood. A cold air intake is longer, and places the air filter farther away, sometimes in a fender, so installation is more difficult as is service, and is usually more expensive."

It is really dependent on the car as well as what is available. Not all cars have the same makers. For EVOs, it's Amsoil or Perrin. No need for a CAI as the location and function of the body parts determine if enough cold air can be obtained.

Remember more horsies from colder air temps!

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
What about trucks?

My daily driver.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368210358.516045.jpg

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
5" exhaust tip? Ooh boy, sounds like we'll need ear covers when you step in!

There really isn't "racism" in the auto hobby. There are stereotypes though!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
ahaha. You people. Who's pulling out the "race" card?

I am sure my decals add a few extra pluses to wife to let me keep modding away! Cars or reef keeping? I can't decide which one is more taxing on my money!

Both have maintenance to keep up with, both always need something, both suck me dry but don't give much back! FML!

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I
http://www.aptuned.com/blog/cold-air-intake-vs-short-ram-intake-whats-the-difference.html

"What is the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake?
As the name implies, a short ram intake is "short". Due to it's size, the intake pipe doesn't stretch far away from the intake manifold, so the air filter remains somewhere near the engine. A cold air intake has longer piping, and is designed to push the air filter away from the engine into an area that has colder air, hence the name cold air intake. Typically, since the cold air intake draws in cooler air it usually makes more horsepower than a short ram. However, depending on engine design, this isn't always the case, and we'll explain further below. A short ram intake is generally less expensive as well, and easier to install and service since the air filter is typically easy to see when you pop the hood. A cold air intake is longer, and places the air filter farther away, sometimes in a fender, so installation is more difficult as is service, and is usually more expensive."

It is really dependent on the car as well as what is available. Not all cars have the same makers. For EVOs, it's Amsoil or Perrin. No need for a CAI as the location and function of the body parts determine if enough cold air can be obtained.

Remember more horsies from colder air temps!

Thanks for the reply . I know how they both are and how they differ but my question is

Are intakes in general not worth the money?

And are parts to make one easy to find parts to build one at pep boys etc or would I have to search online.

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
2.4L accord 2010 sedan

I like takeda 1001p sri. Considering either installing that myself or getting a CAI installed for at least 100$ more..

My friend with a dropped TSX says the risk of hydro lock is very small

I'm sure the cai is more efficient but by how much

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
ahh, I am now a "maybe". My niece bday celebration got moved to this sunday! I'll be at the bronx zoo so depending on time. I may be able to still make it!

Qnsnyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
c10

My other hobby

Attachments

• 576CBF5C-CC65-4D1B-A8F2-2DFEA8BE120E-15734-0000159F1389CB5F_zps07d99129.jpg
    576CBF5C-CC65-4D1B-A8F2-2DFEA8BE120E-15734-0000159F1389CB5F_zps07d99129.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 104
  • F7423E22-267B-4A5C-B3A5-5CC56C7B36D0-15734-0000159F1790F34E_zpsd8efdac3.jpg
    F7423E22-267B-4A5C-B3A5-5CC56C7B36D0-15734-0000159F1790F34E_zpsd8efdac3.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 104

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: