edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
no wonder you need 450hp with 5 alternators. i think one 100 amp full fielded robs the engine of 25 hp.
those radios need that much current? i used to work with a guy, he said he would drive up to the beach and put the antenna cable in the water, and talk to people all over the world. is this true?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
no wonder you need 450hp with 5 alternators. i think one 100 amp full fielded robs the engine of 25 hp.
those radios need that much current? i used to work with a guy, he said he would drive up to the beach and put the antenna cable in the water, and talk to people all over the world. is this true?

Yeah. It's true. Also yes, amplifiers do need that current. Theyre tube amps so its high voltage-approximately 10,000 volts when they're ran real hard. The old cable or chain in the water was an old myth though. It's been proven that it gives no noticeable gain in performance in mobile applications. But yes you can talk all over the world.

With cb radio you have to push a very large amount of wattage to do it unlike with HAM radio. The frequencies the higher they are the less power needed n

On the setup in my Jeep when it was going I peaked at around 5k and talked to a gentleman in Cambridge England from the Long Island Expressway for a 1/2 hour or so. Also talked to his kid. The fathers name was guy and his son was Gary. He was amazed that I was in a car and not a base.

The new setup that will go into the suburban will do in the beginning 12-13k and once the big amp is upgraded it will do about 25-30k. Z100 transmits at 6,000 watts so my truck will start off as 2 of them and go to 5 of them.

It's a bit, well way crazy but its what I'm into.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
hey what ever floats your boat. your not taking it with you, but it is interesting.
why can't you use an rv generator?

You could to power any transistor amps that you can adjust the voltage with an variable voltage regulator for the alternator but with tube amps the way to get more current is with rpm's and you'd never get enough current out of one alternator' plus even if you could if you throttled up a generator to the rpm needed to run the amps it would either just seize or would wind up going on fire.

All in all this is the way we have to do it.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
from one motorhead to another good luck with your build, but personally I wouldn't invest that much time and money into an old truck like that...with that kind of money I would just get a Lightning or an SRT Jeep with a few parts and a good tune and make 500-600hp and run mid-high 12s all day..unless your a diehard Chevy guy

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
from one motorhead to another good luck with your build, but personally I wouldn't invest that much time and money into an old truck like that...with that kind of money I would just get a Lightning or an SRT Jeep with a few parts and a good tune and make 500-600hp and run mid-high 12s all day..unless your a diehard Chevy guy

Thanks Mike but again the truck was bought specifically for the cb radio stuff. The only reason I need a better motor is purely because of the multiple large case alternators. The load they're going put on the motor a 350 brand new, never mind 23 years old would stall out. It is almost indescribable unless you've run these types of amps before to really explain how hard these alternators pull once worked hard.

They're the same Alts that are on fire trucks, school busses and other big diesel engines, so you need a large amount of horsepower and torque to pull it off.

The other reasons the older burbs are the perfect platform and mainly the trucks used for this is because of the long roof which serves as a ground plane for signal to travel along, especially when running multiple antennas like we do. It's also the only engine compartments that can fit all the extra alternators under the hood.

There are very specific reasons we choose the vehicles we do in that hobby.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Built the deck for the amps to go on today. It's not finished I still have to anchor everything( the deck to the floor and the amps to the deck so everythings is safe while driving).

I'll finish with sheeting it with 1X4's over the 2X4's where you see it not done as well as replacing the one piece that you can see is more narrow and missing some screws. Had a change in plans so a little redo is in order and then will be coating it with black bedliner after everything else is done which includes filling the screw holes with wood filler:

_DSC0901_zpsf4df3979.jpg

_DSC0899_zps21488bd4.jpg

_DSC0900_zps2b3ef9ff.jpg

I can see the light at the end of what has been a VERY long tunnel :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I just caught back up with the thread Jimmy...Wow, lots of progress! Go you!!
Will the 2 inspectors be allowed in the radio station...ummm truck once it's finished? :)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I just caught back up with the thread Jimmy...Wow, lots of progress! Go you!!
Will the 2 inspectors be allowed in the radio station...ummm truck once it's finished? :)

Thanks lol. Yeah they'll be allowed in but only in the front seat. I'm going to build a platform that will fill the space between the front of the bench and the dash and pad it. This way they'll have a place to lay down and stretch out if we do a road trip since the back will be filled with high voltage transformers, large rectifiers and other stuff they need not be near.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Figured I'd update the thread for the ones interested.

Got my coax, variable voltage regulator for the alternator(s) that will be DC, alternators and antenna puck mounts in.

I also got the case and heat sync in that i was going to use to build the 3 phase bridge rectifier for the alternator I was making DC from AC but decided after seeing the size of the stuff that each set of diodes will get that sized heat sync and I ordered a case thats twice the size and has holes for 4 fans so there will be much better heat dissipation and awesome ventilation for the diodes so it will be as bulletproof as I can possibly make it:

The coax, antenna puck mounts and variable voltage regulator:
_DSC0914_zps8109e4dd.jpg

The alternators:
_DSC0917_zps6cbf764e.jpg

_DSC0918_zpsdede296f.jpg

The stuff for the rectifier, I'll update it when I get the stuff I'll wind up using for it, and when I get the 6 diodes:

_DSC0928_zps92f39047.jpg

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
whats the amp and output on those alternators ? asking cause thats alot of them and now days your common chevy truck has a very high out put alternator lol so unlike back in the day when i was into car stereo's you had to have one made that was above 90 amps lol

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
whats the amp and output on those alternators ? asking cause thats alot of them and now days your common chevy truck has a very high out put alternator lol so unlike back in the day when i was into car stereo's you had to have one made that was above 90 amps lol

They're 320 amps a piece Rick.

also with all that frequency and power are you not worried about it causing issue's with the cars electronics ?

No thats why we use the older suburbans, really the only thing the computer controls is the TBI- which I'm getting rid of and going carbed on the 383 I'm building- no computerization. I'm going to a manual fuel pump so I don't have to worry about that, as well as a HEI ignition instead of MSD(although most MSD or Mallory's hold up as well),but there are guys running these systems in as new as late 90's early 21st centry models.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
not to mention TV's and radios within a 1 mile radius.........

Nah anything over 1/4 mile away is safe. The key is not to key up next to police stations, firehouses or airports.

It can also be a good way to get back at someone that deserved to need to go appliance shopping when they get home from work and can no longer watch their shows they record while they're gone:sgrin:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Got the stud mount diodes for the rectifier build, the backing plates for the antenna puck mounts as well as the other heat sync, the rest of the fans and the larger case the rectifier will be built in:

_DSC0929_zpsafc74c53.jpg

_DSC0930_zps118b809a.jpg

_DSC0947_zpsab2688f5.jpg

This is how the diodes will mount on both heat syncs when we build the rectifier:

photo-18_zps6c067bdd.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: