JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well, my other hobby as some may remember from the other thread about it is high powered cb systems. I had a decent setup in my Jeep but the small case alternators couldnt handle the load put on them so I've been off the radio until I was able to get my other truck built- a 1990 suburban I bought specifically to be a purpose built truck.

Well, I got a bunch of the goodies to start it- the components for the new 383 stroker we're building to run the truck and the 5 large case 320 amp Leece Neville alternators. These came the other day- the Edelbrock top end kit(intake, heads, cam, lifters and timing gear set) and the rotating assembly kit for the bottom end(scat crank and connecting rods, Keith Black pistons, comp cams push rods, all the bearings, roller rocker arms, oil pump and of course all the gaskets)

On order and due here Tuesday are the harmonic balancer, flexplate, all new torque converter bolts, Hooker competiton black ceramic coated headers, collectors and locking header bolts. Also obviously the carb will be purchased tomorrow also- going Edelbrock with that as well. The motor should do right around the 450-460HP mark. looking forward to building it with my mechanic.

I already have all of the amplifiers so its just building the motor, getting the voltage regulators and the wiring.

Just a couple of pics of the goodies that came already:

_DSC0893_zps21998b4d.jpg

_DSC0894_zpsd7e81eb0.jpg

_DSC0895_zpsda1286e4.jpg

Truck should be done and the system should be talking the first week of June.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
ummm....russ, those parts won't fit in a prius.....and don't bother upgrading....it's a prius.....lol.
even if you supercharge and turbo the thing, it'll still do 0-60 in like 10 seconds and a quarter mile in about 2 days....lol.

....in 2 days? I thought it was never, since the battery would die after running for a whole 20-30 minutes. :lol: However, my ride is my Schwinn Touring Bicycle, no Prius here.

Tom :smash: Russ

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yeah edd. The block is going to be from a 1977 corvette. It's going to the machine shop with the pistons to be bored out 30 over and they are also balancing the crank and connecting rods.

Russ there's nothing wrong with a Prius. Toms just jealous that you don't have to use your thumb to get to your destination.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Rest of the ordered parts came the other day(only things left to buy are the carburetor, radiator and electric fans. The headers, collectors, harmonic balancer, flexplate and all the bolts for them and the new bolts for the torque converter came:
_DSC0894_zpsd5b879d2.jpg

_DSC0895_zps464d6875.jpg

_DSC0896_zps3f2ed3b5.jpg

_DSC0897_zps754502dc.jpg

Excuse the floors- it was a muddy day and the dogs were going bat s^&% crazy so it was a big cleaning day too:screama:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
J1mmy where are pics of the truck?

Right now it just looks like a beat up 90 suburban but it'll look like a completely different truck when I'm done with it. It's going to get a new paint job as well. Same color scheme exactly, just fresh with better paint than the old GM peel&crack version:
DSC_0538_zpse8d16342.jpg

DSC_0533_zps0d382aa6.jpg

IMG_1311_zpsb13fc250.jpg

IMG_1295_zpsf2da9348.jpg

IMG_1302_zps66179d17.jpg

IMG_1273_zpsa694a03f.jpg

IMG_1292_zps62173a54.jpg

IMG_1293_zps6fe4b28f.jpg

IMG_1294_zps34fbc1bf.jpg

Panels are straight as an arrow, never been wrecked and the only actual oxidation that got beyond the normal 23 year old surface rust was in the rear wheel well splash guards. They have been cut out, replaced and sealed.

Not bad for $850 I think.

Also worth mentioning, it's all 1990 from the frame up but the guy I bought it from did the 3/4 ton conversion with axles and suspension from a 1979 GMC Camper Special. Can't tell it isn't factory unless you know what you're looking at and look closely. The shop that did it did a great job on it.

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yeah edd. The block is going to be from a 1977 corvette. It's going to the machine shop with the pistons to be bored out 30 over and they are also balancing the crank and connecting rods.

Russ there's nothing wrong with a Prius. Toms just jealous that you don't have to use your thumb to get to your destination.

yea they have to bore and hone each cylinder to each piston. so the motor is a 350 bored out 383? i never heard of a stroker, i know a 383 is chrysler big block. its a shame to get all them shiny parts dirty.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
yea they have to bore and hone each cylinder to each piston. so the motor is a 350 bored out 383? i never heard of a stroker, i know a 383 is chrysler big block. its a shame to get all them shiny parts dirty.

You never heard of a stroker? wow, I'm surprised.

Yep, I've helped buddies build motors before and know the deal

It starts out as a 350 small block- they bore the cylinders out 30 over, you put a crank in from a 400, clearance the block so the bigger throw of the larger crank and the bottom of the connecting rods don't hit the block and destroy anything, balance all the connecting rods to within a gram of the lightest one and take material out of the crank by way of drill bit to have that perfectly balanced so it won't shake itself to an early grave at high revs(most 383 strokers can handle up around 8,000+ RPM).

It's probably one of the most, if not the most popular chevy motors that are built. Just youtube 383 stroker. Bad a$$ motors and I've seen them with HP ratings anyhwere from around 400 horse to well above 600, but those high rated ones are full out like $15K and above. I'm good with my 450 horse and call it a day for 1/3 the price.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: