Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Reefer Ratings: (12 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Paul B is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I am very excited about this one, about half finished. This picture doesn't yet have the lights on it but it will have three. I found this phone box Circa 1940 on Etsy. I actually bought three different ones and will get some more. I have almost all of the parts and will finish it this week. The large tuner on the right will turn on two of the vintage bulbs and another antique switch will turn on and dim the other bulb.

Last edited by Paul B; 04-16-2017 at 09:45 AM..
Old 04-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (0)
ReefDiver is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
very cool!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM
I just finished this one and like all the others, this is my favorite and the most difficult to build. The base is a telephone box from 1940. The vintage radio tuner on the right turns on the lights in the glass. The light on top has it's own switch. The "tube" on top has a red LED in it to look like it's on. The electric and electronics are in a metal, electrical box inside so it's legal and not a fire hazard because you can't wire in wood.
All I have left on it is to install an antique cord which I have. It's hard to see the lamp filaments but they are hand wound filaments and look very cool.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (37)
LongIslandAndy is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Very cool
Old 04-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Andy, your awake! How are you doing? I won't be in to the store this Sunday but those 4 purple queen anthius are doing very well, eat constantly and are a really nice fish.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (94%)
Friends: (4)
JuanSalgado is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
How much are the lamps going for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Juan, they are all going into an art show in Manhasset in July. I think people bid on them there. Most will sell for about 3 or 4 hundred dollars, this last one will be about $2,600.00. The small blow torch ones will be probably less than $100.00
Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM
This one is about 3/4 done. The small tube will have a red light in it and there will be some sort of dimmer knob on the front. It may also have a cage around the bulb.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 PM
This one is about half completed. You can see the tubes light up. The crank mechanism was originally inside the box and it was used in 1920 as a telephone call box. It had a phone on top and when you cranked it, the bell would ring at a switchboard somewhere and you told the operator who you wanted to be connected with. I re built the mechanism and the generator now works. I am not sure yet what cranking the thing will do but it will certainly do something.
Of course it will have a large Vintage bulb on top with a cage and probably other things I have not designed yet. It will also have a gauge in front. I love this thing.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Finished. The crank turns on some very bright LEDs on the front left. The tubes and gauge light up and the bulb is dimmable. I think I will keep this one.