TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wait you can't retire!! Who's going to show all the rookies the tricks of the trade:biggrin:.

:cheers:Congrats on your retirement. Now's the time to enjoy your life. I'm counting the years to 55.

Steven

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Steven I watch these rookies bend pipe the way the Local teaches them and I get sick. I try to show them how to do it with no ruller or level and it comes out perfect but they have to do it with formulas, pencils, rullers and another person to hold the level. I can't watch it anymore. :supermad:

Last edited:

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seems like the young kids just aren't as hungry. They're just there to collect a check.

I see it in my brothers (they just passed their MIJs) One of them goes out of his way and is always getting over-scale no matter what shop he's in. The other brother just does the minimum to get by and he feels justified in his work ethic.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Timber I always tried to do a little better. I got overscale from the day I got in the business, I became a foreman 6 months after I got my A card and in 37 years I have never been laid off. I quit 3 contractors to get a better job.
I really had a good run but you need some ambition and you have to show some initiative.

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
paul what you think about this pic

Attachments

• ny510.jpg
    ny510.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 98

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It's tubing. EMT. It's different from when I started in that it used to be rigid pipe and about ten times heavier. Most young mechanics don't even know how to bend it. They think you bend it with a tubing bender.:dead1:

I am glad that I don't have to do anything with it any more.
Paul :smokin:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awibrandy, my boss who is a friend of mine (we started in the business together almost 40 years ago) found out from my Union that I can work for him as an electrician on the books while I am retired for 40 hours a month.
He called me to tell me that. So I said, "So why are you telling me this?"
What does that have to do with me?
Can you say RETIRE?
Some people just don't get it. :eek:
Have a great day.
Paul

Sorry Paul! I just saw this.

All I can say is:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
if I had gone to college I would have been an electricial engineer working twice the hours for half the pay.:)

I went to college, and my brother became an electrician. This is so true that I laughed out loud!

Congratulations on your retirement and have a great party!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Fry, retiring hasen't kicked in yet. It will soon though. After my party I had to go to school on Friday for 10 hours for my Captain's upgrade to 100 tonns and right from there I went to my wife's party which is a large affair with a couple of hundred people. I had to go early on saturday to school again and out to a dinner after school. Today on sunday I went to school again for 10 hours and tomorrow I have a job to look at in the Bronx, then I take my daughter to dinner, tuesday I have another job and wednesday we are going to Radio City to see the Christmas show, after the show I play Santa Claus in NYU hospital for the children with advanced cancer. I also play Santa the next day. After that, on Friday it will calm down and I can start to feel what retiring feels like. I did start a new business but I don't think it will be as crazy and I can relax a little and maybe change some water. I really need to go Christmas shopping also.
Have a great day, or night, whatever it is.
Paul

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
:confused: that does not sound like you retired, it sounds like your doing more work than before :lol2:

congrats again!

Frank, why is there a lock and chain around the tubing? that has me really confused

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: