Status
Not open for further replies.

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
getting back to the point at hand $65 purple tangs is a great price, just one thing here. if you happen to look at them and see that they are all bit on the dorsal fin. if there is any white on that like the ones that i saw, be careful and QT them. just an FYI

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Damn, why does everyone hate them so much? I realize that a few of the workers have $hitty attitudes but is there anything else? I've been going there for 5 years and never had any problems.
IMO the quality of their livestock is as good or better than most of the LFS's out there. Some prices are still very good even though they have raise prices very high on some items.

Because you are not ASIAN

Oh, instead of asking why does everyone hate them so much why not ask FT "why do they hate us so much?"

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
After reading the old fishtown threads, I see why many hate them now. To respect my fellow Asian reefers I say F-Fishtown. I will not shop there anymore.

Wingo, a couple of my Asian friends call me an egg :D

grisha

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i think Underwater Creation will match their price .. plus mr members have 10% off , plus, UC is a sponsor here , plus Dan (owner) is a hobbies just like all of us and hook you up if you broke ...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know....$65 doesn't strike me as such a great deal for a purple tang....and the last time I saw them at Fishtown, they were running about $40. I haven't been there in nearly 2 years...gave up on them even before the news about their racist behavior (would definitely(!) not go their now....) mainly because better places have open nearer to me (first seavision, then Aquatic Express). I never had problems with the salespeople, always treated me nicely, but the last time I was there it was obvious that they despised the management.

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
where is fish town located? Does anyone know of really good petshops on Long island that are cheap? Aquahut is the only place that I have found that has good prices.

reefprobe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does cheap always mean quality?

I have bought cheap fish before and you usually get what you pay for.........
CHEAP FISH :irked:!

So a $ 65.00 Purple Tang seems like a great deal seems like a great deal until you get home and realize its loaded with a bacterial disease and kills all your fish in a few days :lol: !!!

Lets be careful what buy, you get what you bargained for.:Yikes:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
all these fish are coming from the same place, and $65 is a steal on a pt. never been there, but keep it real alot of the people that say they would never go there still go. it's too far for me to go so it doesnt matter

mstrofdisaster

Smokin' Reefer (aka KRS)
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
where is fish town located? Does anyone know of really good petshops on Long island that are cheap? Aquahut is the only place that I have found that has good prices.

Fishtown is in Bayside (Northern Blvd & Francis Lewis Blvd). I can't tell you what's cheap on LI as we all have different perceptions of value. What about County Critters out there? The other ones are Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place and Pets of New Hyde Park in Nassau County.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
all these fish are coming from the same place

Your reasoning is partly correct but partly wrong. Correct! Most fish come from the same place but it differs when it gets to the retail tanks. ORA sell me, HOF, NY Aquatics the clown fish but why are the T/R ones from Petco ALWAYS have ick two three days after they are in their tank(You can see that happening almost everytime you passby-1st day great looking fish; 3rd day, some torn fins; 1 week fish are laying on the sand dying.) One loose step in the whole chain makes the big difference.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Is there really such a thing as a "good petshop"? As for price it's all relative. We have shopped Aquahut for 9 years (they are around the corner from us), we know basically everyone there and at Country Critters (from working at Aquahut in the past--or going in there too). You can shop around all you want looking for the best bargain but IMO it is best to find a retailer/vendor you can talk to, trust their opinions, or realize where they are going to bullshit you.. and stick with them. (Saving money in the long run)

We have been to basically every pet store on LI that sells saltwater fish and corals at one point or another. We have bought something from everyone at one point or another too.

Magic Isle in Centereach keeps everything under power compacts and the owner (I think that is him) will openly tell you their corals could be doing much better. That was this past winter when we last went there, don't know if its changed since. Their fish are nice more times than not IMO. Price is hard to say if they are cheap or not because if I see a fish that is a good specimen I don't mine paying knowing it won't cause me problems later on.

Brians Aquarium and Pets carries some saltwater fish but they keep their salt very low, which I don't really like but that's my opinion.

Pet warehouse we go to far and few between as the others above because they are farther from home.

Either way you look at it really though it is a gamble, but building a trusting relationship with a vendor/retail store etc when it comes to this hobby IMO is more important than price of merchandise.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
all these fish are coming from the same place, and $65 is a steal on a pt. never been there, but keep it real alot of the people that say they would never go there still go. it's too far for me to go so it doesnt matter

Rick, you've got some valid points. Please remember, collection techniques vary so much that two of the same species fish caught side by side can have very different life expectancies based on how they are caught. Net caught, cyanide, deep water fish not brought up slowly to decompress, blast fishing and then treatment once they're brought onto the boat will effect how well the fish does in transit and captivity.

swimmer

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
cheap fish but every time I went there all have ick, and if they don't they'll break out by the time you unbag them. I heard somewhere that they have their own collectors that ship fish directly to them hence the low price. I prefer to get fish that went through the whole "chain" only because sick and weak fish are filtered out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: