chemisfun11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Curious to see what you come up with. I have a 48” Photon V2+ and am trying to control light spill as well without having to slap on a canopy on my rimless tank.
A lot depends on the goal of the reef keeper and one size doesn't necessary fit all. I just designed a shade for someone that wanted to try to maintain as much spread as possible so I created a 45 degree angle on 3 sides of the shade which was a challenge. Another reefer wants only two sides of the shade to block light since they orientate their lights in a "portrait" style compared to "landscape". They want the light to bleed out on the sides since they have multiple fixtures, but save their eyes when they look at the tank.

The Photon and the ATI are very long fixtures, so any type of shade would have to be glued together. Gluing a shade together is not difficult, but it won't look as nice as a solid 3D printed part. Shades on the front of the ATI and Photon fixtures seem feasible, the sides might pose much more of a challenge. Not being able to physically observe and make a prototype complicates things further.

The other challenge is how to attach them to the fixture. The radions, vegas, primes have a simple lip that rests on top of the fixture. This is an advantage in terms of printing size and cooling is not obstructed as well.

chemisfun11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Message_1616278148394.jpg

Custom Ecotech Radion shade, two vortech controller brackets and a Tunze controller bracket.

My printer has been busy! Let me know what you need and I will get it printed for you ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: