mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
So throwing out your corals is better then helping this woman out on research? Interesting

No. Throwing them out is better than knowingly selling them.

Your missing everyone's point. Which is that the research is great, But there is alot we can do as hobbyists to stop the spread.

People that can easily identify an infested coral need to share that knowledge on how to identify them.

Funny. The link states they feel AEFW originated from Aussie corals. Which is what alot of stores push versus Aquacultured.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
And indo mbg75. No the question was you would rather throw your corals out then invest in a research you guys arent getting the point. This IS NOT a thread on selling corals with AEFW this is a thread on the research and funding of a potential way of ridding a tank with AEFW

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I am really shocked here. This is a totally legitimate project being head up by a legitimate, well respected scientist who just happens to be the leading authority on AEFW--Kate was the one who identified which species of flatworm we are dealing with. She is a taxonomist, not a hobbyist and is partnering with ( and has partnered with in the past ) serious hobbyists to study the worms in aquaria. I find it absolutely stunning that you guys are talking this kind of smack about a very serious project that brings together the hobby and real science in ways that rarely if ever happen. What this has to do with people selling frags infested with worms I just don't get. Nor do I get what studying them for 4 years has to do with anything? Real science is slow, that is just the way that is. FWIW, I'm in for more than $20.

FYI http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...-coral-killers-acropora-eating-flatworms.html

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
And your response is very amatuer to say the least. So everyone who has AEFW are trying to make a profit? Funny I was given a acro for free from another member on here for free and he has AEFW and had no clue till I informed him. He doesnt sell his corals he was giving them and trading with other reefers. He had no clue. It is absolutly not up to a person selling it is up to the person buying to be the one to make sure he is safe. This is exactly the reason I did not want to post this up here for the responses I am getting here. RC and RR had a totally different attitude to this study. Its sad that MR has this attitude

Amateur? LOL That's funny coming from a guy who has battled more tank crashes and FW infestations than me. Where have a EVER stated that EVERYONE who has FW's is trying to make a profit? So it is the SOLE responsibility of the buyer to make sure the frag isn't infested or contains FW's? You've been drinking tonight haven't you?

It's sad that you post stuff like this than get all defensive when people post something that is counter intuitive to your thoughts. If you're so dissapointed in MR and feel RC and RR are so much better perhaps your time is better spent there.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I am really shocked here. This is a totally legitimate project being head up by a legitimate, well respected scientist who just happens to be the leading authority on AEFW--Kate was the one who identified which species of flatworm we are dealing with. She is a taxonomist, not a hobbyist and is partnering with ( and has partnered with in the past ) serious hobbyists to study the worms in aquaria. I find it absolutely stunning that you guys are talking this kind of smack about a very serious project that brings together the hobby and real science in ways that rarely if ever happen. What this has to do with people selling frags infested with worms I just don't get. Nor do I get what studying them for 4 years has to do with anything? Real science is slow, that is just the way that is. FWIW, I'm in for more than $20.

FYI http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...-coral-killers-acropora-eating-flatworms.html

Not questioning her research. I think it's a good thing.

It's the fact that its spread throughout the hobby by purchase, trading or donating of infected coral. Hobbiest can do there part to stop the spread of it while we await the years of research.

You don't get the fact that some people or stores knowingly sell infested coral?

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0

Smack talk? I believe everyone has said that the research is a great thing. That doesn't mean we are all going to just drop what we are doing to throw $20 at a research project.

Here is a thought. I get the flu. I knowingly go to work and wind up getting 3 people at work sick. You don't need a research project to know that if I didn't spread the germ it would have ended with me. EXACT same thought process here.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
When have I had a tank crash? A crash insinuates losing all my corals and fish which I never have. Just lost some acros and the first time was due to this creature and the second was due to my sand bed. Havent you had like 15 tank setups and had some crashes as well? Everyone goes through a troubled tank every now and then. And not once in your posts on here did you say it was a good thing. Just start attacking a post that is amazing for this hobby. And all 3 of you do nothing but give the negative side to my threads so it wasnt surprising. And when it comes to certain subjects MR isnt the place for a thread you guys have proven it here

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0

It's the fact that its spread throughout the hobby by purchase, trading or donating of infected coral. Hobbiest can do there part to stop the spread of it while we await the years of research.

You don't get the fact that some people or stores knowingly sell infested coral?

I get that part quite clearly, I just don't see how it is relevant to whether this project is worthy of funding or not. I think it is a really good idea for people to wash their hands to help prevent the spread of germs. It is also a really good idea that research is done on the same germs and their spread. The latter takes targeted money and qualified people to conduct the research. In this hobby, both are in short supply. This is a rare opportunity to make it possible. I'm not sure why there is any controversy in this thread at all. Either you think it is a project worthy of funding and you fund it or you don't.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I just think its funny that people have got this bug before ,probably the same people who think this is not necessary probably one time or another said " Man something has got to be done to do a in tank treatment or find something that eats AEFW" And a researcher a scientist wants to make this possible for us but since she wants some donations its a problem. People want action but dont want to help is funny to me. Just like the people that complain about this site being slow or have problems with the app yet dont donate. Just find it amusing

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Smack talk? I believe everyone has said that the research is a great thing. That doesn't mean we are all going to just drop what we are doing to throw $20 at a research project.

Here is a thought. I get the flu. I knowingly go to work and wind up getting 3 people at work sick. You don't need a research project to know that if I didn't spread the germ it would have ended with me. EXACT same thought process here.

Apparently. You go to work. But let everyone know that you are sick.

tyvuge7y.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
A better analogy would be that you come to visit me at my house, but I let you know I'm sick before I let you in. I'm flattered that you quote me here. I wrote that a number of years ago while battling AEFW. The notion of finding a way of living with them as opposed to ripping one's tank apart in hopes of getting rid of them was a rather new concept ( not original on my part, but I was early to the game). In the years since, this technique has been practiced with reasonable success by many serious hobbyists saving many coral's lives. IMO, it still remains the best in tank protocol. But, I still long for the day when a safe, effective in tank treatment is found. The research project proposed by Dr. Rawlinson MIGHT just yield these results. Then again it might not. That is the way research goes. And why research needs to be funded.

This thread has veered largely into a tirade against people not QTing and dipping and doing everything in their power to stop the spread of AEFW which is all fine and good, but we don't even know enough about the life cycle, how long the eggs live at what age do they reproduce etc. to make solid recommendations based on anything other than anecdote. This research will attempt to answer some of these questions as well. Questions I'd think we'd all like answers to.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I think that is a great way to deal with the problem. There is a old member on here that traded a acro from me last year when I had AEFW. I told him I had them and he shrugged his shoulders and said " Who doesnt have them" Pretty much every full blown SPS tank that I personally know of has them or had them at one point. Its inevitable and by you saying everyone needs to inspect and dip and it will be cured is kinda the same answer they gave to protection for us back in the 80s and it didnt work for that either. It wont be stopped until there is a cure

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Their is no cure for all cancer. But if you can't cure it. Maybe you can prevent it. Same with good habits and doing proper stages to prevent it. We all know how to do this. But we are not patience and keep buying next piece of Coral and not doing our share. I have all SPS for over 3 years and luckily never had to deal with this worm as of yet. I did have red worms in my first LPS tank . I didn't have any good habits or knew how to prevent what happen. Because I didn't know what I was doing. But after speaking to someone very knowledgable in hobby. I learned and became smarter about my tank. A research like this will take years. Because we are dealing with SPS. We don't even understand RTN and STN. Especially when it happens when are waters seem to be good. I think we have come a long way in keeping coral. But gotten into bad habits. And making a fast buck.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cure would be nice. But theirs no cure even for a cold. Let get back to basic and start with good habits. Instead of miracles....easy way not going to happen in this hobby. You can do everthing right for a years and one slip can set you back.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I'm still totally confused by this thread. No one is saying that people should ignore sound husbandry practices--preventative measures if you will. Somehow this desire is equating to a dismissal of the usefulness of real research targeted toward the gathering of real data that currently doesn't exist. Data that then can be used in the design of real experimental protocols to see if there might be better ways to deal with this uniquely hobbyist problem.

Are folks saying that they are not happy that Dustin figured out through experimentation backed by the resources of a large aquaculture facility that Interceptor was a safe and effective in tank means of dealing with Red Bugs?

Frankly, Im more optimistic an in-tank cure can be found than I am of tens of thousands of hobbyists and hundreds of shops going through the time and expense ( how many are willing to pay more for corals that have been held for 4wks? 6wks? 8wks?) to thoroughly QT their corals to the levels required to eradicate the pest from the hobby-- assuming we even really know what those levels are.

Again, if you don't think this research is worthwhile don't fund it. If you do, I can vouch for the fact that the people involved are qualified and doing it for the right reasons--i.e. there is no money to be made here.

I'm out, time to go baste my corals for AEFW. Actually, I don't have any right now--that I know of.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
96   0   0
So u gonna try to kill all aefw in the world? Good luck. While u there kill all zoa eating nudi also. Thanks.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Thats not the goal max...

Its to learn about it..and find solutions for hobbyists...something scientist could usually give 2 ***its about.

We are lucky some people in this world care about advancing our understanding of marine life and not just the garage sale aspect that dominates MR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: