duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
This is a great cause for a serious problem in the reefing community. We finally have some people doing hard research for this bug but I am guessing only a handful of people on here will give 10 to 20 bucks to help with this. To see only 41 people looked at this so far is sad

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Although the efforts of this research is appreciated the members here could have a MUCH LARGER impact on the problem. It's very simple. STOP selling frags that have a known AEFW issue with them or that come from a tank that is currently suffering from an infestation. If the members here put the welfare and health of other members tanks before making a dollar you would see a tremendous decrease in the problem. It is also up to those of us with tanks to practice safe methods of buying coral from outside sources. If you don't take the time to inspect, dip and quarantine before putting frags in your tank you really have no right to complain about having those issues.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Although the efforts of this research is appreciated the members here could have a MUCH LARGER impact on the problem. It's very simple. STOP selling frags that have a known AEFW issue with them or that come from a tank that is currently suffering from an infestation. If the members here put the welfare and health of other members tanks before making a dollar you would see a tremendous decrease in the problem. It is also up to those of us with tanks to practice safe methods of buying coral from outside sources. If you don't take the time to inspect, dip and quarantine before putting frags in your tank you really have no right to complain about having those issues.

Well said. I couldn't agree more!

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Although thats all well and good its not going to happen. Some people dont even know they have them and stores dont have the time or money to make sure they dont receive AEFW corals. And the woman if you listened said they are not positive the dips kill off baby AEFW. This is a good research that will answer all our questions. You dont want to help thats fine

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
True, some people don't know.

But, some do and continue to sell or give away corals.

As far as stores not having time or money, that's a lame excuse.

Truth is they are a business and its in their best interest to unload inventory as quickly as possible with minimal loss.

I think the research is great. But we can have a huge impact to stop the problem from spreading.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Although thats all well and good its not going to happen. Some people dont even know they have them and stores dont have the time or money to make sure they dont receive AEFW corals. And the woman if you listened said they are not positive the dips kill off baby AEFW. This is a good research that will answer all our questions. You dont want to help thats fine

How do you know it will answer all our questions? Sorry but it's an ignorant response. You're right it will likely not happen because in the end most people are worried only about their pocket and screw the other guys tank. Most people don't know they have them? Seriously? If you're keeping SPS corals to not know what AEFW look like or what they can do to a colony is ignorant. The effects are obvious. It's really that simple. If you don't spread the disease at some point the disease has nothing to continue its run on.

It's not that I have no interest in seeing the research succeed but the answer to the problem is really simple.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
And your response is very amatuer to say the least. So everyone who has AEFW are trying to make a profit? Funny I was given a acro for free from another member on here for free and he has AEFW and had no clue till I informed him. He doesnt sell his corals he was giving them and trading with other reefers. He had no clue. It is absolutly not up to a person selling it is up to the person buying to be the one to make sure he is safe. This is exactly the reason I did not want to post this up here for the responses I am getting here. RC and RR had a totally different attitude to this study. Its sad that MR has this attitude

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I dont believe she sad studying them for 4 years. I heard they were aware of them for around 4 years. And that study includes finding them in the wild. They have been researching our illnesses for decades with no real answers and billions of dollars.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
duke our illness's are not worms that live on top of our skin eating at it. Irrelevant 100%

Not trying to fight it, I hope she does find something, but me personally would not donate one penny of my hard earned money for something so idiotic that can be figured out by dipping and quaratining for at least a month....

duke if we are such different people then the other sites why are you still here?....

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Its the same concept tony. We are trying to cure a bug living inside our system. There needs to be a research to find the cure either by killing the eggs in our system or finding a animal that does. If it were that easy wondering why none of you guys figured it out? It takes time and money to do it and its something on MR do not have or have the resources. Its a shame you guys feel this way it really is. Finally have someone doing something and all it gets is negativity. Good job. And when she figures it out, when it comes to someone asking how to RID there tanks of AEFW you guys will be the first to answer their posts and puff your chest out

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My one problem with this is that many people make a living out of taking peoples money. I will not donate to that. But if we all share our experiences and qt and dip our corals we can rid these aefw within a month or 2 at most...... No chest puffing out just the truth ;)

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I'm donating $20 if she finds one thing that could help us it was worth it .aefw are the worst and I don't care how long u quarentine, dip, what dip u use.how many times u dip.how close u inspect them u will eventually get them ..the odds are against all of us .to many people have them and sell there frags. half the time we have them and don't know and blame parameters for y the sps is doing crappy ...god I hate them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: