drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef tank. I haven't used GFO in years. Some corals do better than others, but colors are good. 25% wc every 2 weeks. No dosing either. But I don't have a killer tank, either. I feed heavily, too.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Back to the original question, I have run my reefs with massive algae filtration without GFO in the past. At times, Particularly when I get a bunch of new fish and feed extra heavy, I add some GFO the help with the increased PO4 input. I have seen no evidence that GFO is in any way bad for Acros provided you don't drop levels too low, too fast-- and the same applies to any nutrient reduction strategy.

And to some of the general points in this thread-- novice hobbyists are best served doing their research so they can ask informed questions that yield sound decisions. Then find someone whose tank is really thriving and not overly complicated and emulate what they do and stick with it. People way too often, make way too many changes based on way too little evidence. The most successful hobbyists I know rarely make significant changes in approach or methodology and when they do, they do so in a slow and methodical way.

evolution21

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Money where your mouth is???? All I said was about the bra comment cause you calling people girls and yet debating the same thing in a different thread.... As far as collection I'm pretty sure I have you beat as far as time in the game and the amount I have.....you probably been reefing a lot longer than me and should have a larger/more diverse collection....@money i work for a union too. I just chose a better one...so your silver spoon comment doesn't even apply but my comment still stands....$18 isn't bad, but living in NY it doesn't go very far...i work for the LIRR making $33 an hour/union and im still out there looking for an opportunity to make more....it's called wanting more and never settling...If you know anything about simple electricity. ...As far as ohms law, series/ parallel circuits.....I know a job their hiring for in transit and in the LIRR.....

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Back to the original question, I have run my reefs with massive algae filtration without GFO in the past. At times, Particularly when I get a bunch of new fish and feed extra heavy, I add some GFO the help with the increased PO4 input. I have seen no evidence that GFO is in any way bad for Acros provided you don't drop levels too low, too fast-- and the same applies to any nutrient reduction strategy.

And to some of the general points in this thread-- novice hobbyists are best served doing their research so they can ask informed questions that yield sound decisions. Then find someone whose tank is really thriving and not overly complicated and emulate what they do and stick with it. People way too often, make way too many changes based on way too little evidence. The most successful hobbyists I know rarely make significant changes in approach or methodology and when they do, they do so in a slow and methodical way.

+1 Perfect Answer

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
evolution am sorry bro i work in the hand one field am a season carpenter/plumber i can build the house u live in and plumb it myself all u would need is a license electrician so calling my partners/co -workers ladies (hence telling too guys u ladies move out the way let real man finish the job and go over there and get bizzy )is quite common didnt mean to offend u like i did as far my post i hand down stand by them lmk when is ur next frag party ill throw a 100 frags there with renegade on them i take frag and turn them into colonies in short amount of time everthing in my current system started from frag less than 2.5 years ago and i think u seen enough renegade packs trades and freebie thrown around here +other places

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
and duke sorry for hijacking ur thread with all this extra nonse time to get back the topic and i don't have much more to say as i currently still use gfo and it does work i have done reefing with out gfo for a period and the change to my system cause algy outbreak so i went back so like i said ill sit back and enjoy the some the funny post on here

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I've recently pulled the gfo from my spS tank with no ill effects. I would not recommend it to everyone. Every tank is different! You have to figure out what works for you. No need to criticize the masses. There was a point In time in which I could not think of running my spS tank without GFo. Now that my experience with MY OWN husbandry has increased I am able to make those changes. There are way too many factors in this Hobbie to pick one sure fire way of success.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I tried taking my GFO offline for about a month. When I checked my PO4 it was at .1 from a previous 0-0.2. I started the GFO up again and I'm back at 0.2. For now I'll stick with my GFO regiment.

Did you see an improvement in SPS with the higher po4 level?

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
In all seriousness though, I think a large refuge, regular water changes with quality RODI water, stable conditions and some nutrients in the water are necessary for SPS health.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
You ready for this one?!?....

Hold on to your hat Evolution

Activated carbon contributes to HLLD!

Not so fast...

First off what is HLLD?

Head and lateral line erosion, (HLLE) has been linked to activated carbon, but not proven as a contributor or cause. Also more specifically its carbon dust that can get released from cheaper carbon or from carbon that is tumbled too aggressively that has been pointed at, not just using "activated carbon"

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
So basically you ARE agreeing with me that activated carbon does CONTRIBUTE to hole in head or HLLE... Regardless if its from tiny particles of carbon, aggressive tumbling, or who knows maybe the aggressive use of carbon strips the water of nutrients/ trace elements vital to the health of tangs and angels.

Not so fast...

Not trying to hijack thread, just lightening up the mood.

We should get back to the topic at hand in regards to GFO, I'm curious to see more opinions.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
So u use TAP water and no GFO to keep sps. How exactly are you keeping phosphates down?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
See your problem is you dont listen. You cut what people say and make it your own statement. You were talking about a FOWLR and you said tap water gives you cyano. Cyano can form in a tank thats uses RO/DI also. And I didnt write that I use tap. Seriously smarten up. Your biggest problem is you take bits and pieces from what people recommend and you do what you want and then say that that person was wrong. Seriously READ SLOWLY

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Hahaaaaa so you didn't tell me to use tap water in a 250 fowlr? You didn't act like my source of info was wrong? Please mr duke tell me how water parameters for a fowlr are ANY different from that of a REEF tank?

How is using TAP water in a FOWLR good practice? Isn't this what u told me 10 minutes ago w your pal Johnny j? Now you changed your mind?

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
224   0   0

Is this not u duke and Johnny j suggesting I use Tap water 2 hours ago? Or I'm imagining tht also

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: