Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the site, I have been reefing for about 7 years now. I started with a nano reef and after trial and error, lots of losses, and lots of reading I finally have seen steady growth and now it is time to upgrade.

I started out with a smaller tank because I heard it was harder to take care and also because I moved a lot. I originally started my nano bio reef in college at Xavier in Cincinnati Ohio. Then moved to KY, and then I actually moved it all the way to NYC with me, and for the most part, everything survived.

I am planning on starting a 65 gallon reef now and transfer everything from my nano. I have been on the fence back and forth trying to figure out which lights to get to use.

I have been looking at these AQUAMANA lights on Amazon

www(dot)amazon(dot)com/AQUAMANA-LED-55x3W-Dimmable-Aquarium-Light/dp/B00LV2D07Q Only thing is that they are rated at 165W but only use 120W.

they are at a good price point and they seem ok. But I am unsure if they are powerful enough for SPS?

I have about 34 inches in length to work with on the lights. I have a canopy on top with maybe 6 inches to work with on depth and about 16 - 18 inches on width.

I don't want to spend tons of money on brand new top of the line, brand name equipment because just like everything else out there, there are products that are similar and will get the job done minus all the bells and whistles.

Can someone help me decide whether or not to use MH, T5, or LED? Or a combination there of? I want to grow SPS at a reasonable price within those dimensions above to fit on the canopy.

I could also use a little bit of explaining to help me understand the value of a chiller with MH lights. Some of the chillers are super expensive!

Please help me with lighting ideas and links to where I can purchase.

Thank you!

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
All three choices and a combo of them will work for SPS. If you go for T5s I'd spend the extra cash and go for a quality ATI fixture. I may even go for the 8 bulb one particularly if you want to keep acroporas.

I switched two years ago from MH Radiums which I loved to an all ATI T5 lighting system which I also love!! My switch over was mainly due to heat and high electric bills.

ReefBum

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I have had great luck with the MH + T5 combo but T5s only will certainly be better in terms of less heat and cheaper electric bills. The LED/T5 hybrid setups are also something to consider.

march%2019%202011%20tankpic2a.jpg

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Not to thread jack but I have a similar 57g im setting up. I bought a 6 bulb t5 fixture but just found a 4 bulb w 2x 150w Mh fixture. Trying to decide which would be best. With the latter its so heavy it would have to sit a few inches above the tank on legs and the former (t5 only) I could hopefully suspend. Wanna try sps....thoughts?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Dave, 150 halides don't have much punch, and combo fixtures usually have poor t5 reflectors/output. If the 6 bulb fixture is an ATI I would use that. If they're both something like odyssey's, use the halide/t5 mix.

Dursonj, since you're new to SPS I would go with an ATI t5 fixture. You'll have an easier time with SPS.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: