JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like being able to get a larger look at what is in my tank. That said, when I was having some problems with SPS in my tank earlier this year the triton test showed me nothing that was any help in narrowing the cause. But do I think it is worthwhile to do occasionally, if you are curious. People have been posting their results all over so not really in any one place, mostly the chemistry forums on the bigger boards, RC, R2R etc

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
hw-Marinemix Reefer. Mixes clean. Good levels. dKH isn't absurdly high like some other mixes.

I used ESV for 9 months and my tank did nothing but crash thanks to weekly the phosphate injection. I'm still struggling to get it under 0.30.

Prior to that I used IO Reef Crystals. It was fine. Mixed up pretty dirty though. I wanted to try something better, paid for it in dead corals when I want to the phosphate party.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
hw-Marinemix Reefer. Mixes clean. Good levels. dKH isn't absurdly high like some other mixes.

I used ESV for 9 months and my tank did nothing but crash thanks to weekly the phosphate injection. I'm still struggling to get it under 0.30.

Prior to that I used IO Reef Crystals. It was fine. Mixed up pretty dirty though. I wanted to try something better, paid for it in dead corals when I want to the phosphate party.

Give ESV another try, I have a love hate relationship with that salt.
Im liking coralife/ESV 50/50. so far so good and mixes clean n fast

BKLYN REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Reef crystals user for many years. Think it's a great salt and never gave me any problems. I just got a great deal on Red Sea coral pro so I will be switching to this for a while and see how it goes.

Curious if anyone uses oceanic salt and what they think

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO or Reef Crystals but I'm thinking about going back to ESV because there is too much muck in my current salt.

Do you still get that muck in the container? I switched back to IO about 6 weeks ago and have changed out about 800 gallons, it mixes up clear and I have zero of the crud in the mixing container, it looks brand new.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals user for many years. Think it's a great salt and never gave me any problems. I just got a great deal on Red Sea coral pro so I will be switching to this for a while and see how it goes.

Curious if anyone uses oceanic salt and what they think

I used Oceanic for years and stopped only because the Ca and Mg were too high. Ca was over 550 and Mg 1625 alk was 11.5 on the last bucket I bought.

I just switched away from RSCP, I couldn't keep my acros alive for any length of time, no joke. Switched back to IO and everything was fine.

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i just trying out reef crystal for the first time this month. I get to tell you that I dont like this salt.
After leaving the bucket uncover for a couple of days, they get harden like rocks.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Has anyone used tropic marin? I was told that it was a pretty good salt was thinking about switching to it.

That's good salt. When I first got into saltwater. I was looking for the best salt. Theirs no magic salt out there. They all pretty good. Comes down to how much you want to spend. If you do a lot of WC go with IO, reef salt, RC, Coralife. Expensive salts Red Sea, TM, ESV, which are good and you can buy them on sale . But you should buy by bulk. Find one that works for you.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i just trying out reef crystal for the first time this month. I get to tell you that I dont like this salt.
After leaving the bucket uncover for a couple of days, they get harden like rocks.

and is low in Potassium, compare to ESV, i try 3 (200 Gal.) NOT to happy, except the low price.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i see the build up in my mixing container as well but i am sticking with r/c i have been using it for years and no ill effect on my sps, i hate to switch because they are used to it and i don't know if by switching to another salt will have ill effects, why mess with something that's been working for years

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I've used ESV, Tropic marin bioactiv and Coral pro. I'm currently using regular IO.For me ESV wasn't bad i just didn't think it was worth the whole mixing process. Coral pro was just too high in alk that i could never keep it constant even with my doser. Tropic marin bioactiv again not a bad salt just didn't see any results that justified the $100 per bucket price. Since switching to IO i haven't had any mixing issues that some people talk about. I have also been able to keep my levels spot on and my sps are showing it.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I've been using Coralife for the past 12 years. I tried other salts, but don't see the point. Coralife is a little low in MG, but that's cheap to buffer. $40 for 200g can't go wrong. Never had a "bad batch" either.

Pets Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
in my opinion IO is the perfect route. When starting out i thought i needed tropic marin. I soon learned that IO along with proper buffing is best. No need for fancy salts if you plan to maintain your own parameters. Salt is just one ingredient in the reef soup!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: