9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sump

The day has come! And my sump is finally ready for leak testing. No leaks! However i would still put silicone on the pipe joints just to be extra careful.

Dimension of the left sump 20x16x12
Dimension of the right sump 16x16x12

So if taking water level as being 10inches then volume is a follows

Left: 11 Gal
Right:13.8 Gal
Adding another 25 Gallons to my system. Obviously it will be much less considering that there will be bulky equipment and live rock in the sump.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 175

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sump

Interesting rock work!
Did you personally build the sump? Very nice job on that :)

Thank you. The sump was personally designed by me but built by somebody else. If anybody need his address in Brooklyn i can post that info. However be advised he does not know anything about sumps. He is usually doing custom shelves for store. So you would have to guide him towards your ultimate goal. He is very easy to work with.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I'm not sure how/if these 2 sumps work?
Where does the return pump go, and are both sumps feed separately from the tank?
If they are connected by that PVC pipe...then both sides will 'balance out'...so any loss of water (evaporation) would stop water from going over the overflows...right?
Also, with the water level so high in the sump, you may have an overflow problem, due to any backflow in a power outage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I like your sump idea, I did the same thing by sistering 2 sumps. one question I have for you what size pump will you bee using. The only reason why I ask is because when I sistered mine together I had to make 2 2" holes to keep up with a blue line 100 pump.

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sump

I'm not sure how/if these 2 sumps work?
Where does the return pump go, and are both sumps feed separately from the tank?
attachment.php
From right to left -> First compartment will receive intake water and it will house Protein skimmer and a sock. After a b ubble trap water come in a compartment where i will have heater, chiller rod, 2 pumps for 2 reactors. Pipe connects both sumps and allowing for both sumps to have same water level. Third chamber will be a Refugium that would be able to accept plain rock and algy as well as sand. Last chamber will house a return pump. So only one pipe feeds this sump system.

If they are connected by that PVC pipe...then both sides will 'balance out'...so any loss of water (evaporation) would stop water from going over the overflows...right?
Also, with the water level so high in the sump, you may have an overflow problem, due to any backflow in a power outage.
attachment.php

Each chamber is sealed from the neighboring one. So the only water level that will be affected is the chamber that houses return pump. It will operate when it approximately 30% filled. And in case of power failure will fill up with water up to 90%.

Last edited:

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sump

I like your sump idea, I did the same thing by sistering 2 sumps. one question I have for you what size pump will you bee using. The only reason why I ask is because when I sistered mine together I had to make 2 2" holes to keep up with a blue line 100 pump.

You got me really worried when i saw your post... Until i saw that your pump is rated at almost 2000gph. Each 2" pipe can handle approximately 1200gph. So no wonder you need 2 pipes. I have Quite one 4000 pump which is only 900gph. So i should be ok.

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aquarium restructure

I finally decided that i have everything that i need for aquarium makeover.
Transferred fish and live rock to a large bin with power head. That is where i feed the fish and often do water change.
Drained the aquarium, through the sand away. Washed the whole tank with vinegar and rinsed well.
The i did all the plumbing and pictures of all that work bellow.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 135

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aquarium restructure

Here something that requires a bit more explanations.

First image is my contraption for the sock holder. Its a regular plastic hook. I use 4 inch sock. To put it up i just squeeze it's plastic ring in to eliptical shape, and slide it up. As i release, it springs back to its original size. Diameter of a sock is a bit smaller then diameter of the pipe with the hook, hence the sock holds on. Some of the socks have special hooks that i can use to just hook it on.

The next picture is the assembly of my return pipe with ball valve for flow regulation and flexible tubing for pump attachment.As you see i hung my pump and it is suspended in the air as it pumps water. That way it does not transfer vibrations, hence noise, to the sump and tank. Flexible hose also serve the purpose to eliminate vibration transfer to the tank. The pump suspended about inch from the bottom of the sump.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 129

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Problems / Solutions

And now is the most important post for all of you who read it. The most important reason why everybody should read a DIY threads is to learn on everybody's mistakes and not to do them again.

Here are few that really got me worried when i first turned turned on my system.

My refugium, last chamber before the sump, makes a lot of noise
It makes noise because water level in return area is low, and the water current is pretty high. This causes water to fly out of the combed ridges and fall down with noise. Few possible solutions could be implemented: increase the spacing between the teeth in the comb to relieve the pressure, eliminate combs completely, or prevent it from shooting out and direct the flow towards the plexiglass. I used flossed sponge and now the water hitting the sponge and trickling down the wall therefore noise is eliminated. I'll update the thread if i decide to go with more radical solution or whether new ideas will pop up.

My CPR overflow makes a lot of noise.
Given the fact that my pipe is 2 inches in diameter, there is a lot of air and turbulence inside the pipe. That creates a lot of noise, and CPR vent tubes do not seem to do much difference (probably because overflow was not designed to accommodate such thick pipe). One idea of mine is to modify vent tubes: makes them thicker, make them longer or both. another idea is to stick a long sponge in the tube to dampen the noise. That is the solution with which i will go for now.

My decorations floated up.
100lb of rock went in to my decorations, and i had no idea that it would not be enough to hold them in place. I am testing the system with fresh water, that means that decorations will be more buoyant in salt water. Therefore there is a small concern on my part. However, if i put live rock on top of it, and i am planing to do so.... a lot of it, i hope it will fix the problem. I hope...
Will keep you updated.

CPR overflow might stop siphoning
CPR overflow creates some large bubbles when siphoning water. That air gets trapped inside overflow tube and i asume eventually it may stop siphoning water when too much air gets inside. I repet, this is only my assumption. However, heavier salt water might not have same effect. I will connect overflow to my power-head in the air intake nozzle. That power head will constantly keep overflow primed. If it will release to much bubbles in my aquarium then i will connect vacuum pump to it, and direct the flow directly to the sump.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 130

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
My CPR overflow makes a lot of noise.
Given the fact that my pipe is 2 inches in diameter, there is a lot of air and turbulence inside the pipe. That creates a lot of noise, and CPR vent tubes do not seem to do much difference (probably because overflow was not designed to accommodate such thick pipe). One idea of mine is to modify vent tubes: makes them thicker, make them longer or both. another idea is to stick a long sponge in the tube to dampen the noise. That is the solution with which i will go for now.

I know you already glued your pvc together, but try this.
since you have 2 drains going into 1
1-take the drain that has the straight pipe and put a ball valve on it.
2-take the strainers off inside the overflow box.
3-cut 2 pieces of pvc. 1 being about 1" shorter than the other.
4-put the shorter pvc on the inlet off the pipe with the valve.
5-the longer 1 will be a emergency pipe
6-adjust the ball valve till the water reaches half way between the short 1 and the long 1.
7-you might have to fiddle a bit , but once done it will be silent.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
My refugium, last chamber before the sump, makes a lot of noise
It makes noise because water level in return area is low, and the water current is pretty high. This causes water to fly out of the combed ridges and fall down with noise. Few possible solutions could be implemented: increase the spacing between the teeth in the comb to relieve the pressure, eliminate combs completely, or prevent it from shooting out and direct the flow towards the plexiglass. I used flossed sponge and now the water hitting the sponge and trickling down the wall therefore noise is eliminated. I'll update the thread if i decide to go with more radical solution or whether new ideas will pop up.

a quick question, what is the level of the water in the return chamber.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
My decorations floated up.
100lb of rock went in to my decorations, and i had no idea that it would not be enough to hold them in place. I am testing the system with fresh water, that means that decorations will be more buoyant in salt water. Therefore there is a small concern on my part. However, if i put live rock on top of it, and i am planing to do so.... a lot of it, i hope it will fix the problem. I hope...
Will keep you updated.

since you are just testing things out, I see you used egg crate for the rock work.
try this, clean the glass on the bottom of the tank and the egg crate with alcohol. then apply a layer of silicone(reef safe) on the glass then place egg crate on top let sit for 24 hours, and it should be okay. but remember it has to be 100 percent dry when doing this

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: