9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well it has to do with you asking for a recommendation for a rodi unit in your first post ! Air water and ice is a very well known company that makes reefkeeper rodi units!

Good luck with the tank.

Thanks. one of my post stated that rodi unit already purchased and arrived. And so it happened i purchased same unit as you recommended. it is indeed great unit. Thank you for recommendation.

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a good student i went and did all recommended modifications.

Silicon-ed decorations to the bottom of the tank. It is drying out right now.

And also added ball valve to my overflow. Although i did not test it yet, i am preparing to put RODI water in the tank in 24 hours. That valve will not hurt if it will not work as suggested. I do have one inch pipe for overflow, but for now i will leave it alone, because i think ball valve will do the job. Regarding one pipe being as emergency overflow.... emergency or not emergency all pipes go in to one before the valve regardless. So i might have to re-plumb that pipe making emergency overflow pipe going back in to main bellow the valve. But for now i will leave it as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 146

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sump

I ended up cutting all the teeth out of my combed barier in the sump. I am very happy with the results. No more flow obstruction. Water level is in perfect check, just as designed. Noise is literally NONE. If I'll take care of my overflow noise all i will hear is humming of my return pump. (hopefully.)

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 145

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally put everything together. Obviously it needs some fine-tuning. But at least it is cycling. I am not sure how to configure my SWC 160 protein skimmer. It has very slow foam production and once in a while that foam jumps in the collection cup. I do not know if that is how it should be or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Meanwhile i put all my live rock inside the tank to help it cycle faster. When it is done with the cycle i will take some out.

Also ordered 2 MR1 reactors. One for Phosban and one for carbon. Should i connect them now, or wait till cycle completes?

I will most likely post some test results later. Whether it is interesting info or not, but at least i will have something to look back at for my personal info.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 131

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes i am really satisfied with the sump. Now the fact that is placed to the opposite sides of the stand i have easy access to the front. Like fine tune all components together. Empty skimmer cup or take out the sock. 5 min ago i finished hooking up reactors. They sit nicely in between the sumps. Also would be easy to replace media in the future.

I am still playing with the flow. May need to adjust overflow pipe and place it a bit to the middle of the sump. As it creates a bit splash and instead of the tank it splashes outside. But very minute amounts. So i am not concerned. Also trying to eliminate as much flow as possible.

While tank is cycling, i am kinda waiting. Plus its right timing, since my school started, and i am extremely busy wit that.
In general i am 8 on the happiness scale from 1 to10. Will definitely be updating thread.

Thank you for following up.

10kin

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0113.jpg

Everyone on this message board should know how much trouble I got in with 9kin and my boss for babysitting his project on the boardwalk and not working. Credit where credit is due!!!

It looks great! Can't wait to see the finished project in person.

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update

That is some rock work, how is the whole thing held up with.

You mean rocks and sand? Its put together with egcrate, Tetra nontoxic water foam sealant, and nontoxic paint. There are links for materials somewhere in the beginning of this thread. If you talking about how do individual pieces hold together... well then mainly following your advice put silicone under the rock work and worked like magic. I just hope one day it will not decide to detach and float up. That would be a bummer!....

What's that dark and fuzzy stuff on the rock?
Dark patches are black Hawaii sand. I knew that overtime all rocks will mature overgrow with some stuff, nevertheless finished project looked to gray and one-colored to me. So i put splashes of epoxy all over and threw black Hawaiian sand over it. Cant say it produced the most natural look, but at least some diversity.

Since i am here on the thread, might as well update current progress.

As soon as i was "finished" with main set up, my pump burned. So i ordered similar pump. It was not as quite as previous one and hanging it did not reduce noise. So i placed it on the floor of the sump and created a u tube to 1. keep it constantly primed in case i need to turn it off. 2. to keep it as low as possible to compensate for evaporating water for as long as possible.

Following some advice on noise reduction for my overflow i made step forward and re did plumbing. Instead of one large 2 inch pipe i plumbed 2 x 1.25 inch pipes each with its own valve. I will also in time build standpipe to further reduce noise. Design idea will be taken from here: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/
On mages bellow you can see my protein skimmer that i still don't know how to properly adjust. There are times when it seems to work well. However if i shut off my aquarium and then turn it back on, skimmer is overflowing and then i need to reduce all the valves to minimum, hence starting adjustment process again. For now it is on lowest level, and skims stuff out, however i know it is not its full capacity. For now will leave it as it is untill i figure it out.
I also bought 2 reactors. Hooked it up to one pump but reduced flow individually to accommodate different media. I did not measure phos ban (just poured all 475gramms in the reactor) and i think i overdid there. Next time i change it i will put less of it.

My latest addition is Metal halide lamp with PC lights. Bought it used from MR and so far happy with it. It is designed for 48 inches tank (mine is 60) but it gives me enough light and definitely better then my old lighting.

Also you can see pictures of my Refugium that i will soon re-do by placing less rock and cheato (if anybody have excess i will gladly take some).

I will also take some rock out of the tank to allow more swimming space for new pets.
Talking about new pets. Right now waiting for delivery of my first stock: 2 yellow tangs, 2 blue hippo tangs, yellow watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp tiger tail cucumber, bicollor blenny, golden head goby and cant forget about two zeba turbo snails. Very excited. Will post some pictures later today of arrival and acclimation.

Yesterday tested water. Here are the results:
Temp: 83
Salinity 1.025
Amonia: 0
Nitite 0.01
Nitrate 2.5
Alk: 8
Phosphate: 0.03
Oxygen 6
Calcium 460
Cant upload pics for some reasons... will try a bit later.

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Previous post follow up

Promised images

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 124

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: