TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do you like the Avast Marine Works products ?

I honestly have to say that their equipment and level of customer service is outstanding. All of the equipment I ordered was the "You Build" version. Basically its like cool Lego's for reef nuts! But once built the quality and functionality of the product amazing. If your interest in any of their products or have questions just contact Justin via their website and he is very good about getting back you promptly. I am actually in the process of seeing if their Protein Skimmer would fit into my sump. When I get a house and a larger aquarium I wouldn't think about purchasing from another vendor for my acrylic equipment needs.

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Avast Marine Works "You Build" CS-1 Black Pearl Recirculating Protein Skimmer.

So I have been very happy with my Bubble Magus NAC-5E Protein Skimmer since I bought it a few months back but as with everything in this aquarium build I have decided that I need to make some slight upgrades and adjustments in order to suite the overall goal of this aquarium. So I have noticed that my Nitrates have been slowly creeping up over the past few weeks (they are currently 20ppm as of this post). I have a tendency to over feed and my display is stocked quite heavily with various types of fish. So with those two factors in hand, I decided to do some research and investigation as to why my Nitrates are going up.

1. I have taken the time to reduce the amount of food I feed on a daily basis. I have moved from introducing 4 to 5 cubes of various frozen foods to 1 cube per day.
  2. I have increased the aquarium water turnover by opening the ball valve controlling the amount of water return to the aquarium from the feed pump.
  3. I am conducting a 2 gallon water change weekly.

I also have a BioPellet Reactor that has been running for about 1 week now and still has on average about 3 to 4 weeks left in order to culture enough bacteria to start seeing a difference. Also my Fluidized Sand Bed Filter doesn't seem to be assisting in the reduction of Nitrates but in its defense it is also only 1 week old. So my next obvious choice would be to upgrade my current Protein Skimmer in order to address the issue. In the interim I stumbled across and article regarding the output of a BioPellet Reactor and that they recommended that it be placed as near to the Protein Skimmer water intake as possible or plumbed to feed it. So I figured this would be a better time then ever to upgrade.

I contacted Justin at Avast Marine Works and after a brief Q/A decided to order a recent addition to their equipment lineup, the Avast Marine Works "You Build" CS-1 Black Pearl Recirculating Protein Skimmer. It is currently in route and should be delivered by tomorrow. All I can say it that I am excited to see recieve it. I have been very pleased with all the products I have purchased from Avast Marine Works. I was only saddened that I did not have enough available cash at the time to purchase the Swabbie and the Davey Jones Skimmate Locker (they are next on my list). I am hoping that bad boy assist with my high Nitrate issues. Below is a photograph that Justin sent me of the unit and I can say this is definitely looks beautiful!

cs1-blackpearl_lg.png

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Well I am finally done building the Avast Marine Works "You Build" CS-1 Black Pearl Recirculating Protein Skimmer. First let me say that this is not a difficult build but it is rather time consuming. So if anyone wonders why the you build version is about 63% percent more expense well the simple answer is: time is money! It took me about 1 hour just to unpack all the pieces and get everything sorted out and at various stages in the process you have to allow adequate time for the solvent to dry so pieces don't come apart. It's just a simple fact of engineering that if you attempt to rush this build project you are going to run into issues with the seems holding. With that being said it freaking looks awesome! Mine came with the standard oval Avast Marine Works decals and no the cool looking circular ones which just looks better from a aesthetic stand point in my opinion but maybe I can get Justin to send me on. Other then that there is no much that I can really complain about. I am running on 4 hours of sleep from building this but it was worth all the time! I'm hoping to have it setup in the aquarium sump after work this evening! I have included some photographs of the recirculating feature for those that asked. Also because of the smoked cone you cannot see the bubble plate inside but it is removable for cleaning. Also my apologies if some on the photographs are a bit blurry. I was putting this together until 2:00am last night.

AvastMarineWorks-1.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-2.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-3.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-4.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-5.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-6.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-7.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-8.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-9.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-10.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-11.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-12.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-13.jpg

AvastMarineWorks-14.jpg

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rapid LED RetroFit Constant Current LED Lighting Kit.

Now that I have been slowly stocking up on SPS Corals for my aquarium I felt that I didn't have enough lighting. So I placed an order with Rapid LED for two Rapid LED RetroFit Constant Current LED Lighting Kits (I already had two kits from my previous setup). I now have 4 separate Rapid LED RetroFit Constant Current LED Lighting Kit running on 4 Drivers with 6 LED a piece for the equivalent of 250 watts of Meta Halide Lighting. This made such a difference to me. I also still have the ability to add an additional 32 leds if I want.

RapidLED-1.jpg

RapidLED-2.jpg

RapidLED-3.jpg

RapidLED-4.jpg

RapidLED-5.jpg

RapidLED-6.jpg

RapidLED-7.jpg

RapidLED-8.jpg

RapidLED-10.jpg

RapidLED-9.jpg

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

The new protein Skimmer has been in operation since Friday evening and I honestly couldn't be more happier. This is a photograph of the skimmate production from over the weekend. I think this is enough to show that the recirculating model is more then doing it's job. I'm going to need a skimmate locker before my swabbie!

Avast-1-1.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: