TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I recently started doing some remodeling in my apartment and I thought that I would start undertaking some major upgrades to my aquarium. My life is extremely hectic with work and my family so I am investing some time in getting my aquarium into the most functional automatic state possible so I can enjoy it rather than neglect it due to other time consuming tasks. That being said I wanted to keep a thread in regards to my trials and tribulations in hopes to share my experience with everyone on the forum. I hope you enjoy tagging along.

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So It Begins...

So I have always wanted a beautiful SPS Dominated Aquarium but I have never really had the opportunity to put one together. But things in my life are settling down and I thought it would be a good time to turn a 40 gallon breeder aquarium into a small piece of my dream (that is until I purchase a house). So feel free tag along on my journey.

Avast-9.jpg

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
great start, tagging along, you might want to consider a sump if you have the room the skimmer might create a ton of micro bubbles where it is located.
And if you need anything just ask.

Well I have been running the Bubble Magus BM-NAC5E for about 4 months and I actually dont have an issue with Micro Bubbles at all. However I will be installing a sump into this setup.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Looks good i like the DIY leds very compact. Hey not sure if you recall but i took your fluval chi off your hands. Its here in my office looking good :thrash:... I live a few blocks from you and if you need any help let me know im pretty handy and have access to plenty of tools. Just make sure its on the weekend... lol

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks good i like the DIY leds very compact. Hey not sure if you recall but i took your fluval chi off your hands. Its here in my office looking good :thrash:... I live a few blocks from you and if you need any help let me know im pretty handy and have access to plenty of tools. Just make sure its on the weekend... lol

Yes, I remember. Glad its doing good. Need to see photographs. Thanks again.

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sump Equipment Installation.

Today I received the delivery of my Two Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 Submersible Utility Pumps which I was going to use to move water through the two Avast Marine Works MR5 "You Build" Media Reactors. So I decided that I could start some of the placement of equipment in the sump since I would like to purchase an Internal Protein Skimmer. I unpackaged both Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 Submersible Utility Pumps and started to assemble their outputs barbs and place them inside the 10 gallon sump. I got some hot water in a mug to soften up the 1/2 inch tubing that will connect from the Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 Submersible Utility Pump to the Avast Marine Works MR5 "You Build" Media Reactor. I connected one end to the 90 degree Barb on the Avast Marine Works MR5 "You Build" Media Reactor then I ran into my first problem. Apparently the Barb connections on the Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 Submersible Utility Pumps are 3/4 inch. So my progress for tonight was put to a dead halt. I am hoping to pass by home depot tomorrow to see if I can locate a 1/2 to 3/4 Barb connector. If not I am going to contact Marineland to see if they make a connection that allow a 1/2 inch barb.

SumpInstallation-1.jpg

SumpInstallation-2.jpg

SumpInstallation-3.jpg

SumpInstallation-4.jpg

SumpInstallation-5.jpg

SumpInstallation-6.jpg

SumpInstallation-7.jpg

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cant you run both reactors with one pump??? And i am sure you can find something in homedepot to fix your pump fitting issue. If not, let me know.

Yes, I could definitely do that but then I would lose the ability to independantly control the flow of each Avast MR5"You Build" Media Reactor. I would also lose flow by splitting the gph rating between the two. At least that it my thinking. If I had an Acrylic sump with a powerful external pump I would plan everything together and then allow each reactor to flow back in the sump seperatly this way I could control each from a seperate valve. But that is probably another project down the pipe.

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Equipment Installation.

It has been a while since my last post but I have had a very busy schedule between both work and getting the equipment setup on the aquarium. So I thought I would post a little entry to catch up on some of the different equipment that I installed on my aquarium via a couple of photographs.

Aquarium-1.jpg

Aquarium-2.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: