TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Avast Marine Works Swabbie Protein Skimmer Neck Cleaning System.

In my effort to get my aquarium as automated as possible I purchased another great product from Avast Marine Works, the Avast Marine Works Swabbie Protein Skimmer Neck Cleaning System. The installation was simply as the product comes built unlike much of the other equipment that I have purchased in the past. So after a few minutes of getting the correct measurement on the Wiper Blade I had it connected and running on my Protein Skimmer. I have run out of available outlets on my Neptune Systems Apex Controller so for the time being I have the unit plugged into a standard single outlet timer set to run 4 times a day for a period of 5 minutes each.

Swabbie-1.jpg

Swabbie-2.jpg

Swabbie-3.jpg

Swabbie-4.jpg

Swabbie-5.jpg

Swabbie-6.jpg

Swabbie-7.jpg

Swabbie-8.jpg

Swabbie-9.jpg

Swabbie-10.jpg

Swabbie-11.jpg

Swabbie-12.jpg

Swabbie-13.jpg

http://youtu.be/exf9fJvKfnI

Last edited:

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Possible Lighting Intensity Issue Causing Tissue Necrosis on SPS Corals.

I have run into my first major issue with my reef aquarium. I built my LED Lighting System myself. It consist of 4 independent Meanwell LPC-5-700W Drivers each with 6 LED's (three Cree XP-G R5 Cool White LED's & three Cree XP-E Royal Blue LED's) for a total of 24 LED's with 40 degree reflectors. I originally had the lighting system suspended about 8 inches from the top of the aquarium. My seabed is located 15 inches into the aquarium. This lighting system put out the equivalent of a 250 watt Metal Halide System (if not more). I have stable water parameters and temperature and decided to purchase a few small frags to test my worthiness of SPS Corals. I am starting to see sign of Tissue Necrosis. I immediately thought that this was caused due to my water parameters not being accurately assessed since I am utilizing an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kit. So I went to Greenwich Aquaria to purchase some Elos test kits. After some discussion about my issue we started to connect some dots. He has had a few customers with LED Lighting Kits (example: Aqua Illumination) that had their SPS Corals also experience Tissue Necrosis due to the intensity of the LED Lighting. So this started to make sense. I have a perfectly healthy clam that I purchased from a fellow reef keeper which has all the Mantle recessed for weeks. I originally suspected Pinched Mantel Disease but everything is starting to point to the intensity of the LED Lights. So I have raised the lighting system suspension from 8 inches to 16 inches above the aquarium in hopes to decrease the intensity but I may just have to purchase all new reflectors. What are your thoughts? Do you agree that the reflectors could be focusing too much light downward which is increasing the intensity to the level that the corals connect be exposed to? If so should I purchase 65 degree or 80 degree reflectors? Thank you in advance for all the advice.

Necrosis-1.jpg

Necrosis-2.jpg

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brightwell Aquatics Phosphatr Regenerable Phosphate-Adsorption Resin.

I have been seeing some bad side effects from what I can contribute to is due to the Bio Pellets that I decided to add to my aquarium. So I decided to ditch the whole Bio Pellets thing until I can get every one of my issues under control. Then I realized that I needed something to keep phosphates in check while I worked out the kinks. So I decided to turn to Brightwell Aquatics Phosphatr Regenerable Phosphate-Adsorption Resin. I purchased the smallest amount available (175ml) so I could test out the product on my system. Hopefully this will yield better results than my Bio Pellets.

Tank-3.jpg

Tank-4.jpg

Tank-2.jpg

TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P Magnesium Supplement.

I have been testing my Calcium and Alkalinity levels recently and the numbers just did not sit right with me. So I purchased an Elos Magnesium test kit so I could check my Magnesium level as that is where I believe the culprit lies. Sure enough my Magnesium level was 1200ppm which is about 150ppm below where I would like it to be. So I purchased from Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P Magnesium Supplement that I could mix myself and dose into my aquarium.

Now according to the instructions that after mixing my solution that 1ml would raise my Magnesium level in 1 gallon of water by 6ppm. So I have approximately 50 gallons of water so I came to the calculation that 1 ml would raise the Magnesium level in my aquarium by 0.12ppm (6 divided by 50 gallons of saltwater = 0.12ppm. The instructions state that the maximum dosage should be no more then 10ml per day per 20 gallons of water. So I am calculating that I can dose about 25ml per day which would raise my Magnesium level by 3ppm per day (25ml multiplied by 0.12ppm - 3ppm). It will take me about 50 days to get my Magnesium level up at this rate but that is not taking into account water changes on my system. So I guess my question is do my calculations seem correct? I seem to think so. What do you think?

BrightwellMagnesium-1.jpg

BrightwellMagnesium-2.jpg

ElosMagnesium-3.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: