thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well today I plumbed the sump with the return pump, I have not plumbed the drain from the DT yet.

It looks like that there is alot going on....

Blue Line 50 piped into both the return section of the pump and the skimmer section (will only be used for water changes). All 1 inch plumbing with multiple valves, unions outside the pump on both sides.

From the pump goes up to the DT and then breaks off to a manifold with 3 valves.

One is for allowing for too much flow and to break it off and back into the skimmer section. I didn't want to put back into the return section and create bubbles.

The next 2 are for future use for reactors.

You will see on the right side another valve that will goto a hose to drain the sump for water changes. I will open both valves leading to the pump, and then close all the others which will then push all water to the slop sink for changes.

2011-10-29170454.jpg

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
looks real good, 1 thing add 1 more valve between the reactor valves and water discharge valve so you don't have to shut of 3 valves and readjust.

Damn, and I thought that I covered it all!!! I may have one more lying around...

I was going to just turn those three off, but you are totally right, that would require me to have to re-adjust!!

Thanks Rich

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Yesterday I was able to get my rock work done, not only the sound of my angle grinder but the sound of snapping trees in the background.

Well here are some pics.

I took a piece of acrylic sheet and bent it to match the curve of the overflow. I created a jig out of wood to get the right shape. Then the shelves (supplied by ReefRocks.net) were cut to match the shape and then secured to the acrylic. They are very very secure and you will see small pieces of rock on the shelves to hold the vertical weight to the bottom. I plan on having my nicer zoa frags on these shelves and maybe even a few SPS even though I say I am not getting them!

2011-10-30101614.jpg

2011-10-30101626.jpg

2011-10-30101634.jpg

2011-10-30101646.jpg

2011-10-30101701.jpg

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
love the rock work, looks really interesting. just a couple of questions.
1- is the acrylic going to be siliconed on all for sides to the overflow. if not you might have stagnant water their.
2- how are you going to clean the side glasses, they look to be very close the the glass.
3- how much room do you have against the back glass, will you be able to have enough flow to stop detritus build up.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
love the rock work, looks really interesting. just a couple of questions.
1- is the acrylic going to be siliconed on all for sides to the overflow. if not you might have stagnant water their.
2- how are you going to clean the side glasses, they look to be very close the the glass.
3- how much room do you have against the back glass, will you be able to have enough flow to stop detritus build up.

Yes rich, I am going to secure it to the overflow and silicone all sides....

The rock is close to the sides but i will have it (when final placement) just enough to be able to clean it. The right side of the tank will be right up against the glass for the most part. you will not be able to see back there as it will be up against something.

It is pretty close to the back of the tank but when you look at it from the side it is just very small areas actually touching the glass.. I am hoping to have enough flow to keep it moving..

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
probably ment what did u use to stick the rock onto the overflow box

I gave a full explanation in the post where the pics are. :) So i wasn't sure.

But I bent a piece of acrylic and then roughed up area on acrylic by cutting grooves with an angle grinder. Then i roughed up the rock same way and just used silicone. I was going to use Epoxy, but could not find anythig that was for sure reef safe. So the silicone is the best bet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: