twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually only wipe it down with paper towels and do not rinse it.
Looks like its time I started rinsing it after each change.
I will give it a quick vinegar wipe down this time as well.
Sound good?

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still battling the cyno with increased skimming and siphoning out what I can into a filter sock.
I am also keeping to 10g a week water changes.
My green torch is barely opening this week but all other corals and fish seem fine.
Hope this ends soon, not a whole lot to report.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling Cyno Part II

So I am still in the middle of a 5 week battle with cyno. The sandbed is most effected but there is some on the rocks as well. If I blow/siphon and do a water change, within 2 days it is right back where I started.

Steps taken previously:
1.) Weekly water changes of 12g.
2.) Rinsing frozen foods before offering.
3.) Changed RODI filters and DI resin even though I was at 0 TDS out the end.

New steps taken:
1.) Increased the % flow on the two MP10's by 5-15% across all 7 profiles to generate more flow.
2.) Removed all frags from sand bed because they were being smothered.
3.) Bumped up my CuC.

Notes about clean up crew
My original stocking of CuC was from reef cleaners. It included:
-40 dwarf ceriths
-19 nassarius
-17 florida ceriths
-10 large nerites.
-6 scarlet reef hermits

This crew I thought would be adequate but over time I have realized that the dwarf ceriths impact is very miniscule and all my nerites are lazy and climb to the top of the glass and huddle in the corner as a ball.
I deployed the following to help fight the fight:

5 - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
10 - Astraea Turbo Snail
11 - Nassarius Snail
2 - Mexican Turbo Snail
5 - Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab
11 - Cerith Snail
2 - Fighting Conch

walnuts24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Also... make sure you follow the directions and do the water change. Cyano is a bacterial infection in the tank, and the product is pretty much a medication that kills the bacteria rather quickly.

I saw a major improvement in my BC 29 in 4 to 5 days and then once I kept up on lowering my light cycle, less feeding, and more constant water changes, the cyano never came back.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.5 Month Update

While the rock had been cycled in tubs, it has been 5.5 months since they have been setup in the display tank, lighting running a 10-12hr period and a sump buzzing away. Real life has been busy at the moment but I still maintain this tank religiously. There has been some growth, some loss but everything is more stable now. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.

Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CpMMYIYwiM

Pics

ZqDFP.jpg

dvIP8.jpg

FveKg.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno is now 90% gone, out of nowhere as predicted.
Some hair algae now popping up in 6 small dime size patches and 2-3 quarter size patches. Will administer manual removal at next biweekly water change.
No new coral additions between now and the end of the year.
I would like to add another fish though.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight at 6pm will mark 96 hours without power.

I have been running my generator 16 hours a day for house heat, lights and the fish tank. Those hours that the tank is not on power the ecotech backup powers at least the 2 power heads to keep some circulation and air exchange. Problem is when not on generator the tank plummets from 78 deg to 75 deg in 3hrs losing 1 degree per hour. That is why I am having to run the generator 16 hours a day. It is using 1/2 a gallon an hour so 8 gallons a day at $4 a gallon is $32 per day.

I have 15g more on hand to last me 2 more days...............but there is no restoration estimate for me..............and the stations by me that have power are running out of fuel. :-\

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already a considerable distance north of you all located in Danbury, CT.
It took a few days but our gas reserves are now being depleted as well.
I understand many more are in worse situations and I feel for them greatly.

Last edited:

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty every1 for your kind PM offering help

was able to get another 10g of gas

I'm good till Monday morning as of now

will check back if I can

again many thanks!

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no power, going on my 120th hour.

Was able to get gas by me so I have 25g stockpiled for the generator.
The projected power restoration is now available and shows Tuesday
by Noon which means another 60 hours to go.
I have been running the generator 4-5 hours on then 3-4 hours off.
This totals about 16 hours of run time in a 24hr period.

I already did 1 oil change on the generator after the initial 30 hours as recommended to get rid of
the break in oil.

The next is recommended after an additional 100 hours of use so I might hit that before this outage is up, crazy!

Tank seems to be doing fine, no losses. Salinity is OK, temp swings from 78.4 with the generator running the apex to about 75.0 after 3-4 hours off. I have not measure any other paramaters as of yet. I am even skimming and running the carbon reactor.

I know a lot have it worse as far as their tanks go with this storm not to mention other property loss and injuries. I am very lucky so far.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power restored yesterday around 4pm.
140hours without power.
Generator used for about 100 of those hours.
Zero livestock loss.
I was prepared and also very lucky.
Thanks to everyone who offered help through the storm.
I wish I could have done something to help others but I had my hands full with the tank and the baby.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lot of questions on another forum as to why I didnt leave the generator running constantly.

When I started I did run it constantly. When it became clear it was going to be a long outage and stations near me ran out of gas I needed to take action.

The tank was never without circulation due to the ecotech battery backup powering 2 mp10's.
All other equipment was off for no more then 3 hours at a time.

If supply of gas and the length of the outage were not issues I woulda ran the generator 24/7 for up to 3 days.
In he end I was out for double that time (6 days) so I am glad I rationed or I might not have made it
without driving around other cities looking for gas.

I also saved 20g of gas by going on/off as well as saving operating
hours on the unit that leads to more maintenance costs.....all at the cost
of my sanity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: