MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Bored at work and decided that it's time that I put together an official tank thread for my build...

I started with the hobby doing freshwater...did it all, as many often do, and I have to admit that when I got bored and made the transition...it was love at first reef. I drive my family crazy because my free time is dedicated to reefing...yup...I'm a full blown junkie and proud. I think my favorite part is that I share my hobby with my children and my daughter has her own 5.5g reef...so sharing in something as educational and entertaining with them is truly an amazing feeling.

The game plan is mixed reef...I love the natural look of a mixed reef...so I wouldn't have it any other way...so the plan is to consolidate the little tanks into this one...gonna be a long cycle until this semester is over at school...priorities...but wanted it up and ready to roll.

Equipment:

40g breeder (painted black background & drilled 1" drain 3/4" return...I thought I was gonna break the tank but didn't...Yay me!)
"Petco Manhattan Metal Tank Stand"
Eshopps R-200 sump/fuge (it'll fit perfectly under the stand b/c it's 30X14X16) ORDERED
Bubble Magus Nac3 skimmer (was filthy...got it running in a vinegar bath)
Mag 12 return pump (yes it's O.D. for this but I'll be plumbing my reactors inline...so after that return flo will be reduced to about 750gph)
Two little fishies Phosban Reactor 550 to run phosban
Two little fishies Phosban Reactor 150 to run carbon
Current Nova Extreme 6 bulb t5 w/ ATI bulbs (4x blue plus, 1 purple plus & 1 aquablue special)
mp10wes
Tunze nanostream (smallest) powerhead
Koralia 750gph powerhead
Reefkeeper Lite v3 w/ ph & temp prob (Will be upgraded to Apex not the Jr. & this will go back on the 5.5g that I'm keeping)
ATO ordered the one digital aquatics reefkeeper one w/ the 2 float switches
BRS 5 stage rodi (have to buy a booster pump)
Fluval E heater 300W
NESTLE 2200 IV/Enteral Pump for 2 part dosing (it's a single doser but I ordered special tubing so that I can use it for calc & alk)
"Litermeter Beater" 2-Channel Digital Dosing Pump

...probably more but that's all I can remember at the moment...

Livestock:

Fish:

2x Ocellaris Clownfish
Cuc (of coarse...garden variety hermits, snails, etc.)

INVERTS:
RBTA

Clams:
Derasa Clam
Gold maxima

SPS: (tons of SPS...can't remember all of them...so off the top of my head...)
Ora bird of paradise
Green digi
Pink digi
Red digi
Purple Stylo
Green ponape birdsnest
Ora green birdsnest
Green encrusting monti
Pink plating monti
Ora hyacinth birdsnest (pink)
Green pocillopora
Rainbow monti

LPS:
Green Duncans
Acans
Mummy eye chalice
Psychedelic Lizard Skin chalice
Green Trumpets/Candy canes
Green branching hammer
White branching hammer
Orange eye leptastrea
Blasto's

ZOA'S:
X-men zoa's
Northern Light's zoa's
Fire and ice zoa's
Eagle Eye zoa's
Radioactive Dragon Eyes zoa's
Armageddon zoa's
Horizon's zoa's

PALY'S:
Purple death paly's
Twilight Pink paly's
Green paly's

SOFTIES:
Ricordia Florida's
Ricordia Yuma's
GSP
Pom Pom xenia
Jasmine/Daisy polyp's

NPS:
Sun coral

LEATHERS:
Green toadstool
Neon green nepthea

etc. can't remember everything...but there is a lot of coral ready and waiting for this bad boy...

Will post pics once everything is put together...just have reefer crap strewn throughout my apartment at the moment...lol

Current wish list:
Booster pump
2nd mp10wes
Apex
more live rock

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ha...thanks...how did I know you'd be the first to comment on this thread? :fishhit: lol But thanks...will do my very best to keep it updated and entertaining. I'm really torn up/undecided on the diy wooden stand...will post pics...maybe there's a carpenter on here that can look at it and tell me if it's safe...I don't want to p!$$ off the neighbor's downstairs with 70g of water flowing into their apartment! :bigeyes:

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Looks great. My only concern would be the mag 12 adding too much heat to the aquarium. I just pulled one off my 125 gallon and the temp dropped by two degrees. I use a mag 9 in my 44 gallon saltwater mixing can. In 24 hours the pump will heat the water to 82+ degrees. Best to plan ahead with fans or a chiller if you are dead set on the mag pump.

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I agree about the Mag pumps. Unless you already have one, I would go another route like a Water Blaster or Ehiem. Everything else seems like good choices, and I look forward to your build. :)

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Whoop whoop...got a text notification that the mag 12 was delivered to my job...everybody uses the mag drive's for return pumps...is it just this specific model? I'm curious, maybe I should return it or should I try it...you guys are killing me.

I've been so diligent on researching my @$$ off b/c I want to do this right the first time...no more tank builds for me for a loooooooooooooong time to come...I want this setup P-E-R-F-E-C-T. So return it or try it? Please let me know your opinions. Have Mommy/school/homework/work responsibilities to take care of...I promise I will post pics by the end of the weekend.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I can't tell you which pump to get cause I never used the Mag pump. I've always used Eheims & Iwaki pumps for my returns.

But I do want to tell you: I love the pitty in your avatar.... What a doll.;)

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
But I do want to tell you: I love the pitty in your avatar.... What a doll.;)

Awww...thank you. That's Big Boy, my #1 son, but don't tell my 2 legged children I said that. He's a old man at 5, have had him since he was 6 weeks. Big Boy is the best dog I've ever had/known, etc. He has the best personality, except that he hates other dogs. :( He loves cats though. o_O The cat in my old avi is Mr. Bigglesworth, my other 4 legged baby. You can't see it in the pic but Big Boy's other ear is solid tan. He has 1 sky blue eye and 1 light brown eye. He is my pride and joy, even more than my reefs and I'm proud to say it.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
For a return pump the Mag pumps are not as efficient or quiet as other pumps.
They are sturdy and serve a purpose but there are many other pumps out there that are much better.
Danner Mag drive pumps also have exposed metal parts. I just dont bother with them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: