fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pulled the trigger on a few things today. Should get BRS 2 Part tomorrow. Also ordered another quick crew from reefcleaners to beef up the lazy CUC that's currently in there. Crabs included this time around. Also took advantage of the free shipping and added a peppermint shrimp to take care of the aiptasia in the tank.

Also ordered two T5 bulbs; Coral+ and another Blue+.

I currently have (front to back):
AB Special
Blue+
AB Special
Purple+

Decided its a bit too white for my liking. May try the following:
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Purple+

What do you guys think?

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
SWC120 been running since Tuesday afternoon. nice amount of nog in almost 4 days. more than the previous skimmer, euroreef rs80, in the same amount of time. haven't tuned the SWC yet either with the air intake yet. also love that i don't have to adjust water level ever time i turn it off/on for a feeding. always had to re-tune the euroreef after a feeding. size of the swc is also much smaller as well! i get space back in the sump!

photo.jpg

looking forward to the swc when tuned!

tank is just shy of 2mo old now and things are doing well. just have an algae outbreak on the rock; oh well. 2mo anniv pics to come this weekend. stay tuned!

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
couple quick shots. really have to set some time aside and learn how to take better photos of the tank. everything looks washed out in what I take! def not the case in person!

ordered a few mesh filter socks. noticing a bunch of 'stuff' suspended in the water column when all pumps are off. socks should take care of that for some crystal clear water!

please excuse the algae bloom on the rock.

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

FTS 6/24:
IMG_0221.JPG

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
better late than never! I even played with white balance, but I still have a long way to go!

IMG_0244.JPG

vivid rainbows:
IMG_0245.JPG

tyree season greetings monti:
IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

candy apple reds with some UBER SLOW growing capt america's:
IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

SPS mountain. jesus stag, tricolor, red planet, plum crazy to name a few:
IMG_0271.JPG

ora red planet and it's fast growing falace -_- ...
IMG_0283.JPG

garf purple bonsai:
IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0287.JPG

FTS 8/16/12:
IMG_0231.JPG

I need to add some new fish for the clowns to make friends with! enjoy!

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I really like placement of the sps looks great. What other fish are you thinking of adding?

I'm thinking a trio of blue reef chromis or just blue/green chromis. also thinking of something that stays towards the bottom of the tank since the chromis and clownfish would mostly swim middle/high. i'd love a yasha/pistol shrimp pair but a burrowing fish not a good idea since i have egg crate in the sand :banghead:

open for suggestions?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I'm thinking a trio of blue reef chromis or just blue/green chromis. also thinking of something that stays towards the bottom of the tank since the chromis and clownfish would mostly swim middle/high. i'd love a yasha/pistol shrimp pair but a burrowing fish not a good idea since i have egg crate in the sand :banghead:

open for suggestions?

what's the idea behind the egg crate in the sand?

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
what's the idea behind the egg crate in the sand?

I did it for the rock work. I didn't want the rock work to sit directly on the sand (not sturdy) or directly on the glass of the tank. it has it's positives and negatives though. positive is the sturdiness; negative is the minimal sand blowing i have from the return pump exposing the egg crate. oh well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did it for the rock work. I didn't want the rock work to sit directly on the sand (not sturdy) or directly on the glass of the tank. it has it's positives and negatives though. positive is the sturdiness; negative is the minimal sand blowing i have from the return pump exposing the egg crate. oh well.

makes sense though... good protective layer between the glass if your rocks are not glued together. what if you put a rock in the area where the return flow hits?

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
makes sense though... good protective layer between the glass if your rocks are not glued together. what if you put a rock in the area where the return flow hits?

Yea I've thought of that but then I'd want to put sps on the rock. But then they'd be I'm direct flow. If its not one thing it's another! With the tank being 4mo old now, I don't notice and sand being moved by the flow. Only sand I notice being moved is now when the clownish are messing around!

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
few new goodies from LFS trip yesterday:

RBTA about the size of a golf ball; foot already hunkered down deep.
IMG_0043.JPG

blue tuxedo urchin:
IMG_0047.JPG

trip of blue reef chromis:
IMG_0051.JPG

enjoy!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: