fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey bud, I didn't know you could strip the trim off. Is that on the 125? Do u need to do anything to strengthen the tank or is the trim just for aesthetics?
Can't wait to see the finished product!

The old trim was broken , so I bought a new one and replaced it. There are ways to pull the trim but it involves using thick glass on top of the tank to brace it. The trim actually does alot in the structual integrity of the tank. Do Not remove unless you know what your doing.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im trying :D i got a 48" 8 bulb tek fixture for thus tank. I paid for it just haven't picked it up yet.
I have to rip up my floor and reinforce it under The tank. I had My 75 in The same spot and it wobbled every time my dogs ran near it. I dont want that happening with this tank. Im gonna get a lot done next month. I told the wife i wouldn't rip open the floor during christmas lol. Im hoping to have it cycling by my birthday at the end of Jan

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So i tried to get this build going. I had an old 55 gal laying around. I decided to take it apart and use the glass for my intenal overflow box. This was my first atempt at cutting glass. It didn't work out so well lol. I messed up the first piece by snapping it into several pieces. The second attempt worked a lil better but still not perfect. Im thinking the glass is too cold. Its been in ny garage for months. I took the pieces and put tuem inside to warm up. I'll try again next weekend.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
when cutting glass their is a couple of things that you should follow.
1 were gloves to protect your hands.
2 were protective eye gear
3 work on a hard surface with a towel on it, and make sure it has no bumps in it
4 use a new diamond wheel cutter, and that the wheel spins freely
5 use cutting oil, or kerosene and the full suface where the diamond cutter will cut
6 make the score with one motion, and same pressure thru out the cut, do not go over it twice.
7 make sure the diamond cutter falls of the cut.
8 using a dovel or a pencil, put it under the score of the glass, and with even pressure on both sides push down.
9 sand the edges, this is very important, newly cut glass is very sharp.

If you need any other info, or a hand, just pm me.
Good Luck.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanx Richie! I didnt know about using cutting oil or the fact of only scoring once. I was running that wheel over and over hoping it would make it easier. The biggest problam i have is that its 3/8 glass. It dosent like to snap

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
in the last pic with the three ball valves, thats the drain right? why do you need three of them? backup in case they clog? Or are you using 1 to drain into a different area? Just wondering. good luck with everything you have your hands full which is fun!

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
in the last pic with the three ball valves, thats the drain right? why do you need three of them? backup in case they clog? Or are you using 1 to drain into a different area? Just wondering. good luck with everything you have your hands full which is fun!

The 3 drains are a "bean animal" overflow design. Its supposed to be super quite and can handle up to 2000 gph! Basically, one drain is a full siphone with no air. The second drain handles the rest of the water which just slise down The walls of the pvc. The 3rd drain is for saftey and start up. If you want full details just google "bean animal" there is a ton of info

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well its taking me forever to get this tank up and going, but Im getting there lol. I just got a shipment from BRS :tongue1: I got a dual reactor w/pump, bulbs for my 8 bulb Tek fixture, gfo and carbon, refractometer calibration fluid, salifert phos test kit and 3/4" goosenecks for my returns. I also stopped by Aqua Hut and grabbed a Triton 5 for my return pump, a bucket of Red Sea coral pro salt and some hose. I purchased a Vertex Omega 150 for my skimmer and 2 Koralia 1400s. I still need to get the rest of the plumbing for the drains and Im going to try and get an MP40 for the rest of the in tank flow.
Im going to get a brand new 125 for this project. The reason behind this is I will be placing the tank in the middle of my house, dividing my living room and dinning room. I have a sectional that already splits the two rooms, so the tank will sit behind that. I will be drilling the side of the new tank so I can veiw both 6' sides. This also allows me to build a room in my garage and run my sump in there:D Im going to build a new stand starting this week. The fish room is going to have to wait till the begging of March because I have to wait till my brother-in-law gets all of his crap outta there! Im shooting for the end of March to have this whole thing going.
In the meantime, Im cycling about 80-100 lbs of rock in a bryte can in my garage. I can't wait to get this set up going!! Thanx for reading :hug:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanx guys! I would live to go fir the 180 but didn't plan for it equipment wise.The skimmer I bought is only rated for 150 and my light is an 8 bulb 48" which probably won't be enough.
@Mike, I've been texting you but don't think they are getting thru. Hit me up thus weekend :beer:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Update: I finally picked up a new tank and drilled the side. I'm done with the frame of the stand. I have to skin it and stain, plus build the doors. This build is taking me forever!
CAM00205.jpg

CAM00206.jpg

CAM00210.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: