PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Tae.. It depends on your lighting. If you are going to have MH and run heavy duty pumps I would say proably not. I think you might risk the chiller being on way too much wasting electricity. I guess you can always give it a try and see how it goes. I had to start paying for electricity so I kind of had no choice. It is worth a shot!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Allan,

I have been putting off reading this thread in the hopes it would read as awesome as it did. Good work! Really well done, thought out and looks hot. Let me me be the first to ofeer you a frag from my tank as a "Welcome Back" and glad you were able to do "what you wanted" I know how nice that feels when you're building a system.

Congrats!

House

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks Mike and House! I did put alot of thought into the system but now that I'm near completion I already see things that I should have changed. I guess no body is perfect! House you have no idea how great it feels to see something that started out as a few sketches on paper pop out into real life. Well actually I'd have to change that and say that you know exactly how it is! What a great feeling to throw the switch on for the first time and sit back to see something that you put togethier come to life. Its a hobby like no other! BTW.. I'm always up for a frag! Thanks!:splitspin

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
You really have done a great job so far. Very well thought out and designed.

What sort of ecosystem are you going for??? now that it is ready for corals, i.e. SPS tank, mixed tank, LPS, softies?

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks again for the kind words. I used a micron pad in my first sand storm when I set up my old system and you are right Wingo it does help alot. The only problem I had was the pad getting clogged up so quickly that the water had no where to go but onto my carpet. It was a huge mess and I couldn't even figure out where the leak was coming from. Since then I have just allowed the storm to do its thing knowing (hoping) that it will eventually subside. I am aiming towards a mixed reef. This is my first try at SPS so I want to take it as slow as possible. Evenutally I am looking to add a refugium but for now I'm just going to work out the minor details that I have left. I'll try to post some more pics later today.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
My tank is a mixed reef. I really like the combination, however, it requires alot of care and to be careful with the coral combinations that you chose. I have my tank partitioned into sections based on light and coral growth.

SPS at the top of the reef, LPS on the starboard and mid-reef (low light areas and low flow areas), zoanthids on the starboard bottom. Killing softies is a regular thing since they spread towards the SPS sections. Zoanthids should never be placed on the live rock structure in an SPS tank. Anyway, I'm rambling! :lol: GOOD LUCK! and I look forward to future updates.

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You'r not rambling at all! I really like the appeal of a mixed reef because I think that is the best representation of the ocean. The varity is also an added plus and gives the tank a nice well balanced appearance.

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Here are a few closeups. I apologize for the poor picture quality. I'm still trying to figure out the camera.

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Allan, I would just like to say you did an awesome job. Glad to see your second time around is so kick-ass. Best of luck to you and hope to see more of your tank! :)

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey Allan, Nice tank!!! Now I know who to call should I need SOS with some of my corals, you've got soooo much room!
lol I never came across your thread till now, it's a really sweeeet setup.
It was also nice talking to you.

Sharn

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: