Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So after 3.5 years out, 3 children and a house later I am getting back into this hobby. I had a few tanks in the past, the last one was an Elos 120xl (I don't know exactly how much water that tank held). I left the hobby a few years ago because I was having a kid and I lived in a 2 bed room co-op, I knew I was just taking a break because my tank was doing well and it was just a space limitation thing. A few months later we purchased our house. After a long renovation process we moved and I knew it was just a matter of time on when I would get a new tank. I put in an I-Beam in the basement under where I would have the new tank in my living room above and I also ran a pex water line and 2 electrical lines with AFCI breakers and 8 GFCI outlets. My new tank is roughly 250 gallons besides the sump. I am going to make a small tank room in my basement to have all the filtration stuff. The tank dimensions are 84" long by 30" deep and 25" high". The tank is Starfire glass with one piece euro bracing and an external overflow box with 3 1.5" holes drilled. I plan on doing a Bean Animal overflow and then coming back up from the basement using a reeflo return pump with the return line split into 4 Mocean's Wavemaker's also using flow accelerators over the top of the tank. The Mocean's wave maker's replaced the Wavy Sea units. I know the wavy seas were problamatic but they say these new ones are re-designed. I used 3 wavy seas o my Elos tank I can't say they didn't give me any problems and they were very delicate but I just love the idea and what they do. I also have an MP 60 for more flow and I may get some tunze's. I plan on keeping all corals (probably 75% SPS and 25% LPS). So far I have the tank (coming to Brooklyn this Monday afternoon, PM me if you can help me bring it up 5 steps into my house I live in Midwood, I would greatly appreciate it) I have the MP 60, Apex controller, Octopus Calcium reactor, Teco Chiller & a 72" Giessemann Infiniti 3 x 250 MH HQI and 4 x 80W T'5 fixture. I know allot of people are going with LED's but I liked my Metal Halides allot so FOR NOW because I am open minded, I will use these. I will post status on here regularly because I could use some pointers with plumbing. I never worked with anything larger the a 1" drain and 3/4 return. For those sizes home depot and Lowes have everything so I would just fit everything in the store and buy it. With the larger pipe I will probably be ordering online, I tried ordering yesterday but I couldn't figure out for life of me exactly what I needed. I am sure you guys know exactly what I need once I figure out how i want to lay everything out. I had a great time at the frag swap last week, but going to a swap without a tank is like an addict having crack in front of him while in rehab lol! Anyway here's a picture of my old tank and the a few of the new tank that is coming.

I want your input,

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,231
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,222
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,195
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,210
  • 008-1 (2).jpg
    008-1 (2).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,238

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Very nice tank! Just want to let you know that by the way you have build your stand the tank corners will be under bigger stress then rest of it.

I didn't build the stand it came with the tank since the guy had it. I am not sure if I will be using it yet. Are you saying there will be more stress on the corners because of the way the 2x4's go vertically all the way to the bottom of what the tank actually sits on?

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I didn't build the stand it came with the tank since the guy had it. I am not sure if I will be using it yet. Are you saying there will be more stress on the corners because of the way the 2x4's go vertically all the way to the bottom of what the tank actually sits on?

Yes. This 2x4 in corners,that what makes me nervous a little, don't want to be an pain, but just trying to help,

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yes. This 2x4 in corners,that what makes me nervous a little, don't want to be an pain, but just trying to help,

Not a pain at all, I appreciate the comments. DO you think if I go over the entire top with a sheet of plywood it will solve the problem? I always wanted a metal stand but I got this one thrown in with the tank so I saved $1,000+ ...

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Not a pain at all, I appreciate the comments. DO you think if I go over the entire top with a sheet of plywood it will solve the problem? I always wanted a metal stand but I got this one thrown in with the tank so I saved $1,000+ ...

I don't thing plywood will halp, the problem is the 2x8 will dry and shrink over time and 2x4 won't, it's not that big deal to fix it if you want, all you need is just new material to replace tops and I will recommend it duble 2x6 and duble it this corner 2x4

JOHANNA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hi up Jeff from Custom King. He's in queens and built me a fantastic acrylic sump. He's a vendor on here. He has a for sale post in the marketplace. Just send him a message. Great guy - you won't be disappointed.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I got a little nervous now so I went to check on how we did the steal beam for the tank when i renovated my house. It will be roughly 3,000 pounds! I guess i'll wait and see the stand and tank once they get here. I did put a 5" steal I-Beam in my basement to hold up the total weight. I put it right under where the tank will be going. It's 40" away from the exterior foundation wall. Once you add a 5" thick wall and I space the tank 5" off the back, the tank being 28" deep should sit right between the foundation and the beam on the original beams the house was built with. I would have wanted the beam to be directly under the tank but it didn't work in basement configuration.

Attachments

• 20121124_220816.jpg
    20121124_220816.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 800
  • 20121124_220827.jpg
    20121124_220827.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 737

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The tank will be like half way in front of this radiator. The radiator is 24" high and the bottom of the tank will be 44" high. Do you think it's going to heat up the tank at all? I really rather not move it because the plumbing and then redoing the wainscoting.

Attachments

• 20121124_222201.jpg
    20121124_222201.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 718

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: